The 2018 state of the board discussion thread

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've been getting redirected to some different websites from this site recently, and have to hit the back button to get back to gator chatter. Is that happening to anyone else? I'm on a brand new computer and this is the only website I have gotten redirected like that. I've been waiting for an appropriate place to post this so I guess this would be it. Anybody else experienced random redirects from here?
Use the app. It's probably your browser. the browsers themselves add their own ads for Revenue purposes.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Is it on mobile? Those shouldn’t happen but on occasion unfortunately they do.

No. Happened to me on a Lenovo ideapad. Hasn't happened on any other website that I've been browsing but it has happened to me twice in the last two weeks here. I guess it's possible it's from bloatware or something on my computer since it's brand new? But as I said, this is the only place it has happened. I'll try to pay more attention to the specific website I get redirected to if it happens again and I'll PM you, if that helps.

Edit: I was using Chrome. If that matters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had problems on Chrome and Opera.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As for analytics, year to date 2018 vs year to date 2017, we have 25% more visitors.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I used to love The Best Damn Poll In The Land and Sadovin's Corner Market, but alas TBDPITL folded and Sadovin's has fizzled a bit. Great banter, diverse opinions. But I always wanted something a bit more Gator-centric. I'd much rather send/receive some brotherly (or sisterly) humorous "F*** YOU!" posts than simply run down a thread agreeing with everything and nodding my head. I could see myself hanging out with (almost) any one of you b@stards and watch a game. The other sites where posters basically spend their time justifying each other and trying to look good...not so much.

Don't change a thing.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I guess this place can be intimidating to the average message board viewer. That would explain the ratio of lurkers to actual posters. But if things were to become more vanilla then I think you'd lose posters and lurkers. I, for one, have never understood people getting overly butt hurt over something negative being directed at them on a message board. Pissed maybe, but no real hurt feelings. I think it actually sharpens your thinking by posting here because you need to really think about what you're going to say and have the cajones to back it up.

Perhaps the most difficult thing is to get new interesting blood to start posting. Most of the prolific posters came over from the GSMB and people are generally familiar with their posting styles. Sometimes new posters come in and get in trouble when they have a difficult time understanding the board dynamics and either get quickly offended and leave or don't have the wherewithal to stand up to the initial barrage and end up retreating back to lurking. My advice to anyone who has a take but is hesitant to post is to just say, "f**k it, it's only a message board and those knuckleheads need to be set straight and I ain't taken prisoners." You'll fit right in.

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I liked the way this site was run so much, I paid money to become a lifetime member, even though I could have kept my money and still had access to basically all the chats that any visitor can have access to. I have never given money to another message board site before this one. This place has a unique blend of posters that are allowed to be mostly unfiltered and you can usually find all the breaking news on here that you could find on other sites. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Go Gators.
This. I could have written it myself.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When I first joined the old GSMB I was harassed into posting an avatar/picture....so I posted a picture of myself wearing a UF t-shirt. I got jumped on by a pack of wild hyena's!! It was hilarious!

Obviously most of us like this site because we can say what we want. The mantra of not turning this place into swamp gas should be the #1 goal of this site.

Also, why not accept a few ads? Wouldn't that generate some additional revenue? If someone doesn't like the ads....they don't have to click on them. It doesn't impact the content or ease of use (or does it?).

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get upset and run to OX like a little girl or snowflake. I invented Owning and Destroying cause that is what I do. Hi I'm Jboss, I came, I saw, I OWNED and DESTROYED!! Jboss - Owning and Destroying since...well...FOREVER!

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
We had a poster recently melt down and leave the board. Come to find out later he hated the fact I threatened members with bans - it really bothered him. It's difficult to believe he took me that seriously, but he did. You never know what's going to set people off.

There are many members on this board and others that are little minds in a little world. You can’t fix stupid and you can’t keep crazy in a box forever. Ox do not take it personally. This is your passion and we get to particpate and enjoy it. Our privilege. Stay frosty my friend.

Go Fu(king Gators!!!!!!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have been super busy at a new job and haven't had much time to spend on the board. I do find sometimes it is hard to catch up to a thread when I do have time to jump on, but I also have no idea how to solve that problem.

In general the one thing I will say is that my motivation to visit the board is less because I feel like it is a lot of the same conversation over and over. I do appreciate everything and what Ox does and this is the only Gator forum I visit when I do have time. I appreciate the recruiting thread and all the members.

You guys rock over all... I imagine it will get really fun again once the season starts!

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Every sports board has its strengths and weaknesses. Every board has eloquent informed posters and those whose goal in life is to provoke others. Every board has "broken record guy" and "sunshine guy" and "let's meet for a fistfight guy".

I frequent another message board during baseball season which has a similar origin to GC. The moderator there just banned a trio of posters who were regulars but had gone from being consistently negative about the team to posting regular personal insults about other posters. His decision was not met with approval even by those who were the object of attacks.

Point being that members have the ability to avoid reading material from posters they don't like or agree with. I am not a fan of personal insults of Gator players but I can choose to avoid those who feel like that behavior is acceptable. I can see why some visitors might choose to leave and go elsewhere but the positives far outweigh the negatives on GC.

I'm just amazed that the board has multiple posters with supernatural ability to see the future and are able to guarantee exactly what will happen in the months to come!!!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Also, why not accept a few ads? Wouldn't that generate some additional revenue? If someone doesn't like the ads....they don't have to click on them. It doesn't impact the content or ease of use (or does it?).
There are plenty of ads, old hoss. As a supporting member, you simply don't see them. Log out and take a look.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There are plenty of ads, old hoss. As a supporting member, you simply don't see them. Log out and take a look.

Really? I'm an IT idiot, so that's good to know. But, as a paying member, I wouldn't mind seeing them. Hell, I'd possibly click on a few if it was something I was interested in. Good concept though (to have them turned off for paying members).

Another thing, the "premium" boards on the other sites charge annually. I'm sure if you did a "pass the hat" thing (a "fund raiser" or whatever) once or twice a year you'd get donations from the "lifetime members". I'm a lifetime member of the NRA and still gladly make donations. NRA puts out t-shirts that you get for "free" if you make a donation (usually for a "minimum" amount, like $28 or something). I'd certainly 'donate' to get a Gatorchatter t-shirt. I imagine the swamp gas folks would see that around Gainesville and have some sort of spasms or conniption!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.