The 2018 state of the board discussion thread

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Generally I like this site, read a lot, don't post much though. I've been here since early on, and this is a combative bunch. In a generally good way, there's lots of knowledge and twice as much opinions. Post the wrong thing and you take a beating; hell, post anything and take a beating. But its all in fun. I did bring a coworker over who registered and immediately gave up because he didn't like the slamming he took. Its gonna happen. In the end I visit for information, the side junk is just extra entertainment (unless its aimed at me, then I'm butt-hurt).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We had a poster recently melt down and leave the board. Come to find out later he hated the fact I threatened members with bans - it really bothered him. It's difficult to believe he took me that seriously, but he did. You never know what's going to set people off.
I really put off and thought about quitting a couple of weeks back when you did away with LMAO2.....I'm still on the fence but if I leave then that would be like letting you win....So I'll stay and irritate everyone until I get my LMAO2 back......

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I don't live around many Gators and this board is a welcome change I look forward to. It's informative "no holds barred" opinion by a lot of smart people who are blessed to be Gators. When you screw up you can get slammed, I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for putting with an old fart!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have any complaints, but I'll try to come up with some for you. Several months ago the app stopped working on my phone, so I deleted it and just used a browser. That's really the only problem I had, and it wasn't a big deal.

I think the polls were a good recent addition, and they've lead to some pretty good threads. Keep those coming.

My only idea on how you could improve the board is to find more ways to use, earn, and spend Oxbucks. We have trophies and trophy points. Maybe we could earn Oxbucks the same way we earn trophies. You could also do something like on the birthday threads you get an Oxbuck for every like you give on your birthday. I remember you had an Oxbuck raffle, but I think you only had one. Maybe more of those just so that we have something more to do with Oxbucks than fake gambling, which was also a good idea.

Even if the Oxbucks thing didn't exist, this is still the best board out there and it's not even close. You're doing a great job and you have a fantastic product.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chatter app is terrific and unfortunately began logging me out involuntarily after the last update, so I stopped using it.

I switched to Tapatalk and have been fine ever since. Logging in to the site from a browser on your phone is bit too clunky.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have any complaints, but I'll try to come up with some for you. Several months ago the app stopped working on my phone, so I deleted it and just used a browser. That's really the only problem I had, and it wasn't a big deal.

I think the polls were a good recent addition, and they've lead to some pretty good threads. Keep those coming.

My only idea on how you could improve the board is to find more ways to use, earn, and spend Oxbucks. We have trophies and trophy points. Maybe we could earn Oxbucks the same way we earn trophies. You could also do something like on the birthday threads you get an Oxbuck for every like you give on your birthday. I remember you had an Oxbuck raffle, but I think you only had one. Maybe more of those just so that we have something more to do with Oxbucks than fake gambling, which was also a good idea.

Even if the Oxbucks thing didn't exist, this is still the best board out there and it's not even close. You're doing a great job and you have a fantastic product.
Oxbucks are for raffles. We’re going to start having raffles again when the season starts, and you’ll finally get to use them.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Hey it’s a free thinking (sometimes) message board. Like life, most of the time it’s pretty darn good and when it’s bad, half the time it’s probably me. Maybe a 1000 post a day limit for middle school girls.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I generally like the board. I wouldn't want ti to be a 'homers-only' place where negativity and critique aren't allowed. Here are a few thoughts that I'll contribute to this discussion.

The sports bar analogy is pretty fitting. I think it has pro's and con's to it. Someone mentioned the chatterbox and the associated nicknames. There is somewhat of a clique-ish feel to the board sometimes and newer posters (or all those lurkers) may be discouraged from using the board because of it. I don't know that you can influence this, but it's a thought to consider if you really do want to grow it. Some folks break through, but I'm betting quite a few are turned away by it.

As some others have said, I think the board would benefit from keeping threads on-topic more. I believe this also contributes to the feeling that this board is more about a community than about the subject. That's not a bad thing necessarily, but it does mean new folks (who don't yet belong to the community) will be less likely to engage if threads devolve as much as they do.

I would like for you to make the football team win more again. I find it much less engaging when we're getting embarrassed by good teams and we aren't even putting away our paid punching bags. Please bring back the big wins and the consistent winning!

The board works fantastically and I really like the new sidebar, polls and the effort you put into bringing innovation to the board. Keep up the good work. You're making this place what you want it to be and you should. It's also good to ask your guests what they think - like you have. Well done.

As for your personality and it's effect on the board, it certainly isn't ideal, but you have to work with what you've got. I'm just glad that I'm your favorite poster.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wusses, snowflakes and momma’s boys need not register...

I’m good with the hard core melting pot we have as regulars... I do wish we let some traditional trolls in for brief runs just to add some cheap butt kicking entertainment value. Ox, you’ve done a great job building on your original concept. Go Gators!!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
More threads with narrower topics.

The recruiting thread is 83 pages. The offseason basketball thread is 9 pages. There is a 10 page baseball thread. Which game? Tonight or last week?

I'd like to see some of these broken up. When new news comes up or there is a new game or new development, start a new thread instead of burying it in the back of an already cumbersome and unwieldy thread. It keeps the top of the page fresher and more updated.

I get it that you don't want the front page littered with repetitive threads but if we're playing South Carolina tonight, or if basketball got a new recruit, I think separate threads would be fine. They'll fall off the front page soon enough.

Alex.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

The recruiting thread is 83 pages. The offseason basketball thread is 9 pages. There is a 10 page baseball thread. Which game? Tonight or last week?

I'd like to see some of these broken up. When new news comes up or there is a new game or new development, start a new thread instead of burying it in the back of an already cumbersome and unwieldy thread. It keeps the top of the page fresher and more updated.

I get it that you don't want the front page littered with repetitive threads but if we're playing South Carolina tonight, or if basketball got a new recruit, I think separate threads would be fine. They'll fall off the front page soon enough.

Alex.
Disagree.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree.
giphy.gif

Alex.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I don't get upset and run to OX like a little girl or snowflake. I invented Owning and Destroying cause that is what I do. Hi I'm Jboss, I came, I saw, I OWNED and DESTROYED!! Jboss - Owning and Destroying since...well...FOREVER!
There's only one!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Alex.
I agree for the same reasons. Reminds me of a restaurant on Captiva Island that is famous for its huge portions. My eyes would rather see more smaller portions that may or may not equal one heaping plateload. It just seems easier on the eyes.

There's another reason. The longer threads almost inevitably drift and devolve after several pages. My short attention span prefers the USA Today approach. Lots of shorter pieces. Call them sound bytes.

Thirdly, sometimes the merge has an obvious need, other times not so much. It's the not-so-much times that I think almost discourage some posters from putting up threads. There's a certain humiliation that goes with posting a thread that seems meaningful only to have it disappear on you because it's been merged.

Ox, I know this is something of a pet peeve for you, which I respect, but I would encourage a vote to see how the members feel on the subject. I'm not kidding. I think it would be a good idea.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, I know this is something of a pet peeve for you, which I respect, but I would encourage a vote to see how the members feel on the subject. I'm not kidding. I think it would be a good idea.
Denied.

Besides, you guys are exaggerating. For example, every baseball series has its own thread. Every basketball game has its own thread. Do you honestly expect separate threads on recruiting prospects 10 months before NSD? Of course not.

No one cares about basketball and baseball, so single, longer threads are better. Football is a different story, and most of the football stuff is broken up pretty good. I'm happy with how our threads are grouped.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Denied.

Besides, you guys are exaggerating. For example, every baseball series has its own thread. Every basketball game has its own thread. Do you honestly expect separate threads on recruiting prospects 10 months before NSD? Of course not.

No one cares about basketball and baseball, so single, longer threads are better. Football is a different story, and most of the football stuff is broken up pretty good. I'm happy with how our threads are grouped.
Denied? I'm crushed. Where's the appeals board? I demand my rights! This is a travesty!

Seriously, I wasn't thinking about game threads. I was thinking about general topics for the reasons mentioned.

Denied. Go ahead and be an autocrat.

(Just please, kind sir, don't ban me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb