The Athletic - Florida QB Battle

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Stewart Mandel has a pay site @ The Athletic. I’ve found it’s definitely worth it.

They just hired a Florida “beat” writer, which I put in quotes to compare it to the typical non-reporting we get locally (meaning throughout Florida papers).

Today he did an in depth piece on former Mullen QBs and their take on the behind the scenes battle for the starting job. It’s a good start for the new writer (he comes from MSU beat):

https://theathletic.com/434073/2018...-competition-history-tyson-lee-joshua-harris/

Harris paused briefly after saying that, interrupted the tale of his story and offered an opinion on Florida’s quarterback race.

“So with those three guys,” Harris said, “if one throws the ball really well and doesn’t run really well, then he is going to play some. If the other guy runs really well but he is not the best thrower of the football, he is going to play some. If another guy has all the intangibles — the leadership — he is going to play some, too. Until one of those guys separates himself to the point where they say we cannot have this guy on the sideline for any amount of time unless it was because of injury, then it will just be a competition all the time.”
. . .

And, oh, by the way, he was facing a live rush [at practice].

“I don’t think he could ever say that I wasn’t tough,” Lee said. “He doesn’t pull punches. If you’re soft, you’re not going to play. He will make that known. You are going to be able to take a lick and get back up.
. . .

Mullen’s offense is heavily dependent on timing. A major adjustment Lee needed to make was with his footwork and rhythm. Mullen wanted precision on his “1, 2, 3, throw” passing plays out of the snap, and Lee struggled with that.

“There was a way he wanted it to be done, and if you extended too much or was too short, it would throw the timing off, and so that drove him nuts,” Lee said. “If you did it right, and he often showed Florida film with Tebow doing it, it was money all time.”

. . .

“He was so relentless, man,” Lee said. “He really was. The expectations were so high. He was so demanding, and that would be another way to put it. It was so hard. I do not, in any way, wish I was one of those Florida quarterbacks right now. They hate it. I promise you. The number of times I wanted to quit? Endless.”

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It would be nice if he puts Franks and Trask under some real pressure in practice so the right choice can be made.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is SEC Country done now? Where has Zach been?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Very good site w/ great writers. It's $50/year and well worth it.

I decided to end my subscription to Sports Illustrated (after about 45 uninterrupted years) and signed up with The Athletic. They have regularly run discount offers of 30--50% off. I agree with BMF that they have some outstanding writers though to this point they have been weak on anything related to SEC and Gator football. Glad to hear they are stepping up that area of coverage.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The other timing thing he needs to work on with the QB's, is throwing the ball away right before stepping out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Year after year after year after year we are hearing the same thing about a QB competition with no clear favorite in the role. It’s exhausting. It’s disinteresting.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Any QB who hates hard work and striving for perfection probably will never make it at a big div I school or in the NFL. I bet Tim never hated it or thought about quitting.

You must have the talent, in your arm, in your body, in your brain, and in your leadership. Then you must work hard to improve, not have all of them can be fixed, not working hard can't be.

Tim had it right in his famous quote.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Year after year after year after year we are hearing the same thing about a QB competition with no clear favorite in the role. It’s exhausting. It’s disinteresting.

I agree. No one really knows, so there's no point in reading. I'm not convinced the coaches know who the starter will be at this point, but my guess is that they hope Franks will earn it so they aren't forced to start a true freshman.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wish one of our quarterbacks looked CLEARLY better than Feleipe Franks or Kyle Trash.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I wish one of our quarterbacks looked CLEARLY better than Feleipe Franks or Kyle Trash.

Won’t know the answer until fall practice opens.

Mullen is no doubt crossing his fingers that EJ has put in the work and made strides. He said the summer is where the kids with the real mojo get it done while they’re away from the coaches so you can guess where that leaves Franksenstein.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator