The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I found this vid pretty interesting, thought a lot of posters here would, too.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I would think it would depends on what type of ammo you are using and the conditions that you would expect to use your weapon in. And of course training and capability counts a lot. With my lack of capability a shotgun is the only possible option.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
With my lack of capability a shotgun is the only possible option.
Yeah sending a single chunk of lead is ok for the highly trained and maybe even skilled range rats out there but for me there is comfort in volume....Within 10-20 feet there is just no way a single hit from a 9mm, 45, 357 or similar handgun has the "incapacitating" ability of a 00Buck round from a 12GA......Body armor may stop my 1st round from penetrating but by the time someone picks themselves up after being knocked on their ass I will have already decapitated the bad guy with my follow up round...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shotguns are fine, no doubt, but at across the room distances as shotgun is a rifle. The shot will be basically a single projectile.

You still have to train and know what your doing, no matter what Joe Biden says.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Shotguns are fine, no doubt, but at across the room distances as shotgun is a rifle. The shot will be basically a single projectile.

You still have to train and know what your doing, no matter what Joe Biden says.
Thanks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but by the time someone picks themselves up after being knocked on their ass I will have already decapitated the bad guy with my follow up round...

Whehhhhh.... youve picked up almost all the old wives tales. It wont knock them down. There were even old sales reps who used to shoot themsleves innthe chest w body armor w a 44 or shotgun.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is physics and a law. You cant break this law.

You can also test it with silhouttes. A small plate can be knocked over by shot or a pistol. A big gong, that weights half what a person does? You hardly move it.

I only tell you this, not to embarass, but so you are educated in case a defense situaition arises. Dont expect the tv crap to occur. It wont. Many that take solid hits from rifles pistols or shotguns dont even immediately realize it.... which is epinephrine at work.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would think it would depends on what type of ammo you are using and the conditions that you would expect to use your weapon in. And of course training and capability counts a lot. With my lack of capability a shotgun is the only possible option.
Go practice. Eapecially if it is a pump gun, and you didnt grow up with it in your hands often like our hunting grandfathers did, it IS easy to mis-stroke and cause a failure.

One instructor used to say treat it like your girlfriend not your wife.

Pump it hard, in other words.

Even things like going to a three gun competition and running just the shotgun portion is useful training.

I guarantee you if it is not innate, you will struggle under stress.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
A big gong, that weights half what a person does? You hardly move it.
Heavy gongs don't have rib bones, gall bladders and livers....Ever see a boxer get knocked out from a body blow? He'll stand right in front of you for about 3 seconds unable to even lift his arms to defend himself let alone fire a shot from a gun.... Ever got the wind knocked out of you when playing football? Ever had broken ribs? Would you let me shoot you in the abdomen/chest area from 10-12 feet away with your body armor on?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like your prospects as a tactical instructor. Stick with baking.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't like your prospects as a tactical instructor. Stick with baking.
Me neither but I'm sensible enough to listen to some people that are....here's a few quotes regarding the effects of being hit with a shotgun at close range in their opinions...BTW these guys were Federal Agents with expertise in ballistics.

"You may survive the blast, but you’ll have the wind knocked out of you. You’ll have severe bruising, possible broken bones, even possible internal bleeding and organ damage. These plates can give you a good shot of living, but your safest choice is to not get caught on the wrong end of a shotgun."

"The shot may not penetrate, but the blunt force trauma is going to be exceptionally severe. That by itself can inflict an enormous amount of damage.

If a regular slug is used, it would result a systemic shock due to the speed and weight of the slug. If it’s a modern high speed sabot slug (effective range 150 to 200 yards), at close range it may not penetrate, but without the heaviest armor and plate will break bones and damage muscles and other tissue. It can damage and stop the heart. In any case, it will likely take the wearer out of the game"

"Fourth, with ballistics distance is everything. In shotguns especially. Shotguns fire relatively slow moving projectiles that lose energy quickly. A shot with the same gun and load from 10 paces will be completely different than the one from 100.

Fifth, what do you mean by “protect”? A vest might keep the projectiles from penetrating, but you can still get hurt. It would be kinda like getting hit by a massive hammer."

"However a 12 gauge produces more kinetic energy than almost any handgun and many hunting rifles, simply put you may stop the buckshot or even a slug but the energy transfer may very well kill you on its own."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Me neither but I'm sensible enough to listen to some people that are...
:lmao2: ironic

BTW, that is all absolute bullshyt.

And most federal agents certainly have never seen someone shot, hell most have never actually used their handcuffs.

Whoever wrote that is absolutely full of shyt and became an "expert" by watching Hollywood or video games.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
:lmao2: ironic

BTW, that is all absolute bullshyt.

And most federal agents certainly have never seen someone shot, hell most have never actually used their handcuffs.

Whoever wrote that is absolutely full of shyt and became an "expert" by watching Hollywood or video games.

So the only way someone dies or is "incapacitated" from a gunshot is by bleeding out?....Hmmm, next time you drop a Buck where he stands ask yourself this....Is it possible he bled out in literally milliseconds, before he hit the ground? Or more likely was it trauma associated with impact.... Do you honestly believe you would be able to stay on your feet(notice I didn't say it would "blow you off your feet") and be able to defend yourself if I hit you in the abdomen with a sledge hammer? Hell I'd even let you wear your body armor and bet you wouldn't be able to.

In all due respect I'll await your response.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Get good with what ya got
There's no doubt that for $200 ish a pump shotgun is the best value going.

The first gun I got was a 500 combo pack w hunting barrel and self defense barrel. It will do almost any kind of hurting and is good at home too.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So the only way someone dies or is "incapacitated" from a gunshot is by bleeding out?....Hmmm, next time you drop a Buck where he stands ask yourself this....Is it possible he bled out in literally milliseconds, before he hit the ground? Or more likely was it trauma associated with impact.... Do you honestly believe you would be able to stay on your feet(notice I didn't say it would "blow you off your feet") and be able to defend yourself if I hit you in the abdomen with a sledge hammer? Hell I'd even let you wear your body armor and bet you wouldn't be able to.

In all due respect I'll await your response.
I've shot or seen deer and other medium mammals shot many dozen times. The sole time that one fell straight to the ground it had a severed spinal cord (and was a 7.62). Five or six were deer shot with slugs. None fell straight to the ground or were hit with sledge hammers.

12g is a great choice. I choose it myself at times and have done so professionally. It just isnt magic. Keep training.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I've shot or seen deer and other medium mammals shot many dozen times. The sole time that one fell straight to the ground it had a severed spinal cord (and was a 7.62). Five or six were deer shot with slugs. None fell straight to the ground or were hit with sledge hammers.
I'll bet none of them were wearing body armor or were shot sneaking in through the patio door either....;)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
12g is a great choice. I choose it myself at times and have done so professionally. It just isnt magic. Keep training.
I have several close friends/family members that are in Law enforcement and they are pretty quick to point out that EVERY gun has it's limitations and no 2 situations are the same, too many variables. Everyone of them is more comfortable with the handgun they carry everyday(close quarters/home defense) and it boils down to what they've trained with the most. Can't argue with training.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
.50 cal Barrett usually is one shot one kill but isn't good in a CQB situation. But a Mossberg Shockwave may be just the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator