The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, of course nobody is going to walk around hunting or in a survival situation with the rifle broken down in the bag.
You know what else is handy? 10/22 Charger pistol

4923.jpg

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If I had any real accuracy with a handgun for hunting I might consider one of these for a survival weapon... 45Colt, 454 Casull, 9mm, 38Special and 410 shotgun shells:eek3:....not to mention it has a name that is unmatched in coolness :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lol .. i cant even tell if that is meant to be slightly serious.

Firing 22 out of a 45 barrell...... :lmao2: That is like a night w t's mom.

Such a goofy gun. 410 out of a rifled barrel? Donut pattern with a round that is already known for having too little shot in the pattern. 45/454 revolver? you can have one for half the weight.

Just a joke of a gun.

At some point, boss, you and I will spend some time on a range. You can shoot a handgun w reasonable acccuracy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tell her to hold it with both hands.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seems the most import part of constructing any rifle that breaks down is to make sure the sights are both part of the barrel assembly. Any weapon that separates the sights from the barrel during disassembly is just asking for accuracy issues IMO.
The factory iron sights are on the barrel of a 10/22. But these old eyes don't like them much.

AR7, I think , the rear sight is on the frame.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The factory iron sights are on the barrel of a 10/22. But these old eyes don't like them much.

AR7 I think one is on the frame.
Correct... for AR-7, rear is on receiver, front post on barrel.

As for Zambo’s statement you quoted, while a good rule of thumb, not true if barrel is witnessed to receiver. With these, there’s a little bit of loss. With my SRS, I can swap bolts and barrels in under 90 seconds with no loss of zero, none, due to witness lug, but I paid for that quality.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And yet no one thinks "Raging Judge Magnum" is a manly name...I need to go to a real preppers forum.
If you can convinced, cool. Hell have her call it Excalibur if you want.

The problem is women seem to see size a little different than most dudes.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Just saw this in a magazine today, no personal knowledge of the round, but Aguila is a good manufacturer and this might be a solution for reducing recoil while doubling capacity in your EXISTING tube (no silly drum magazine or even super long extension tube)... it's for PUMP ONLY.
Shotshell | Aguila Ammunition

Click on "minishell" on far right.

PS I do have experience with Aguila's subsonic 22 ammunition and like it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw this in a magazine today, no personal knowledge of the round, but Aguila is a good manufacturer and this might be a solution for reducing recoil while doubling capacity in your EXISTING tube (no silly drum magazine or even super long extension tube)... it's for PUMP ONLY.
Shotshell | Aguila Ammunition

Click on "minishell" on far right.
I do have limited experience with them. they won't feed well out of most shotguns. for most guns you have to modify the lifter. I think the old Winchester 1200 is the exception.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
makes sense... thus the "gimmicks = bad" general rule ;)
Fear & Loading: Aguila Minishell Buckshot Load

Id have to be convinced. Apparently there is a contraption to help them feed.
OPSol® TEXAS

We tested them in an unaltered 870. It was definitely a no-go.

The things really measure about 1.3-1.4ish. I wonder if perhaps even a 1.75-2" shell would be nice. You'd still get more in the tube (maybe 7 or 8 instead of 5) and less trouble loading.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some interesting stuff here. The spread stays only a few inches apart at maximum home defense range….

I dont think anything will be more than 2" apart at max home defense range unless your home is the size of a Foley IPF.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I dont think anything will be more than 2" apart at max home defense range unless your home is the size of a Foley IPF.
Wow, was wondering about the low velocity,1050fps, but damned 2.25oz of lead at 10-15 feet would have to be pretty devastating. I think most of the shots in the video were from 10-15 yards...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd just stick to tried and true. In a house, OO buck penetrates a little too much IMO. I'd go smaller like 4 buckshot (this is different than #4 birdshot which is just called #4 most of the time). I might also use BB or #2 birdshot even but that is about as small as I'd go. Bigger means smaller with birdshot.

You don't really need anything exotic in a shotgun, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator