The Best Handgun Caliber - A Real World Study

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You don't really need anything exotic in a shotgun, imo.
Hell I'd bet a target or bird load would do the job from across the room....still though I love watching the differences in opinion on self/home defense loads.....I personally keep 00 Buck stuffed in the tube because that's what I target shoot with so that's what I have on hand.
Here's one of the new plastic high velocity slugs that fly fast but bust apart almost at impact in contrast to the massive penetration/knockdown of the double ball round....ton of velocity but almost no chance of over penetration.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell I'd bet a target or bird load would do the job from across the room....
Maybe. Maybe not. In my years I've seen, first hand, two people survive (more importantly not out of the fight if they were attacking you) with head shots from small bird shot.

That wouldn't happen with buckshot. Nothing wrong with buckshot.

Birdshot will usually not penetrate more than a few inches of ballistic gellatin. It makes a hideously gory, very shallow wound. It may penetrate even less if they are wearing heavy clothing (leather?) or hits a shallow bone.

Your life, your call. And largely academic since 999 out of a 1000 won't ever need it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The concern I have with a shotgun as ur go to home defense weapon is keeping it concealed then accessible.
I keep my Makarov 9mm (reliable and accurate but sights are for ****) in a small cc holster attached to the back of my nightstand. I can reach it immediately and nobody knows it's there. The shotgun I'd have to keep in a closet top shelf so I could get to it if I had time. Having said that my next purchase will probably be a Mossberg Maverick 88. A third of the cost of a 590 and just as effective.

Wish I had property where I could shoot trees.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I keep my Makarov 9mm (reliable and accurate but sights are for ****) in a small cc holster attached to the back of my nightstand.
Get a safe. A small one for your nightstand. I prefer a phone style combo lock vs the more expensive biometric ones. If you are sweaty or bloody your fingerprint scanner might work.

You never know when a kid will be in your house.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
21179.jpg

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=21179&zipcode=45122

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
If I could offer any piece of advice, get a weapon that fits you, before any other particulars, right down to your fingertips. Nothing else will affect accuracy more, even at short range. I am more than a snack at 6’6” 280. A light glock gives me fits but give me your basic 1911 and I can show you something. Same goes for shotguns, I would prefer something a bit heavier and balanced, especially in self defense situations. A good friend of mine worked at Blackwater for several years had this advice: Get something that you feel confident with while loaded, and tough enough to bludgeon your opponent when empty.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I could offer any piece of advice, get a weapon that fits you, before any other particulars, right down to your fingertips. Nothing else will affect accuracy more, even at short range. I am more than a snack at 6’6” 280. A light glock gives me fits but give me your basic 1911 and I can show you something. Same goes for shotguns, I would prefer something a bit heavier and balanced, especially in self defense situations. A good friend of mine worked at Blackwater for several years had this advice: Get something that you feel confident with while loaded, and tough enough to bludgeon your opponent when empty.
6'6" 280?
Do you have any eligibility left? :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Same goes for shotguns, I would prefer something a bit heavier and balanced, especially in self defense situations.
I see it the same way. A little weight tends to keep the shot and follow up shots more on target. IMO opinion it is easier to fire a full stock shotgun from the hip if you had to than fire a pistol grip shotgun from the shoulder......besides in close quarters if caught empty/reloading/out of ammo I like having a heavier and balanced gun with the leverage to stick this in someone's throat of face...
494250_01_remington_870_breacher_choke_1_640.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is no reason EVER to have a pistol grip (only) shotgun. They are damn near useless and make a fine long arm into a point and hope proposition.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see it the same way. A little weight tends to keep the shot and follow up shots more on target. IMO opinion it is easier to fire a full stock shotgun from the hip if you had to than fire a pistol grip shotgun from the shoulder......besides in close quarters if caught empty/reloading/out of ammo I like having a heavier and balanced gun with the leverage to stick this in someone's throat of face...
494250_01_remington_870_breacher_choke_1_640.jpg

You planning on breaching your own door?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You planning on breaching your own door?
Probably not but it comes standard on my 870 Tactical....Unfortunately it also comes standard with a lightweight polymer stock which isn't as good for crackin a bad guys noggin....I think I would opt to breach his grill instead...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most attorneys and tactical instructors would advise you against something like that for HD. Remember that theoretically you could have to be in front of a jury someday, arguing that your self-defense was legal. Instead of having an evil black weapon with evil stuff on the end of the barrel, you'd probably be better off having a wooden stocked shotgun that looks like the one their grandpa had.

You can easily buy on of those (wood stock, 18 inch barrel, plain, no fangs of death breaching stand off device, flash suppressor whatever, no "heat shield"-- why?) and add a METAL magazine extension (for reliablity, Chinese plastic crap may fail).

Ayoob writes a lot about this and I agree totally. Even if they dont tell you, many furors might be persuaded just by a gun that looks too Tacklebury/Punisher.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Most attorneys would advise you against something like that for HD. Remember that theoretically you could have to be in front of a jury someday, arguing that your self-defense was legal. Instead of having an evil black weapon with evil stuff on the end of the barrel, you'd probably be better off having a wooden stocked shotgun that looks like the one their grandpa had.

You can easily buy on of those (wood stock, 18 inch barrel, plain, no fangs of death breaching stand off device, flash suppressor whatever, no "heat shield"-- why?) and add a METAL magazine extension (for reliablity, Chinese plastic crap may fail).

Ayoob writes a lot about this and I agree totally. Even if they dont tell you, many furors might be persuaded just by a gun that looks too Tacklebury/Punisher.
Conversely, you could spray paint it hot pink and put some Dora the Explorer or Spongebob decals on it. It will still be an evil weapon, but the jury will think it looks pretty harmless.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Most attorneys would advise you against something like that for HD. Remember that theoretically you could have to be in front of a jury someday, arguing that your self-defense was legal.
If you believe for an instant of a quarter of a fraction of a second....that at 3.30AM when my 11 year old son and his Mother are relying on me to save them from a bad guy when I can't get a round in or I am out altogether (not likely)that I shouldn't literally shove the end of my shotgun barrel through his eyesocket and impale his cranium into the wall behind him because I have a breaching choke on the end of my shotgun.....The last thing I WILL BE WORRIED ABOUT is what an attorney thinks...….unless he is there with me and has another sotgun or at least more rounds....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you believe for an instant of a quarter of a fraction of a second....that at 3.30AM when my 11 year old son and his Mother are relying on me to save them from a bad guy when I can't get a round in or I am out altogether (not likely)that I shouldn't literally shove the end of my shotgun barrel through his eyesocket and impale his cranium into the wall behind him because I have a breaching choke on the end of my shotgun.....The last thing I WILL BE WORRIED ABOUT is what an attorney thinks...….unless he is there with me and has another sotgun or at least more rounds....
:rolleyes4:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Talk about completely missing the point....
Sometimes I wonder if he can read at all.

I imagine him grunting and coloring.

Let me try it again.

iu

You can shoot the intruder in the face just fine.

And it won't freak out jurors and make them think you are a whacko just hoping for the chance to kill someone with an "assault weapon".

I don't really know why I'm trying to talk to a middle-aged guy with a fleet of Mustang GTs about not making your shotgun look tacticool and goofy.

Hell, I'm surprised you haven't found a way to connect a spoiler and a supercharger to you Instadeath Tacticool Knock them Down the Hallway shotgun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator