Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And why is that?
A combination of:
1. most gunfights are 5-7 rounds,
reloading;
2. many cops just dont carry spare shotgun ammo; and
3. a shotgun is usually slow (stab 4 competition techniques notwithstanding, try that under pressure or w gloves, blood, mud etc) and even when they do drawing a handgun is still so much faster.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I know I’m atypical, and I’ve said this before, and given I don’t recommend this unless one runs drill as often as I do, but your article illustrates again why there are only two places I aim for: band of life, and pelvis.
I wish I were a good shot but have proven to myself over and over I'm really not all that especially when I watch people who are during any kind of stress induced drill. I am a right handed shooter and am nearly blind in the center of my right eye.....In fact I sometimes think I could be the poster child for anti gun laws as I would much prefer to beat the living sh!t out of someone with my fist or perhaps a baseball bat or shovel than shoot them....:lol:

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. I am a right handed shooter and am nearly blind in the center of my right eye.....

Imo, you should start working on shooting left handed then. Really, every defensive shooter should be able to shoot w either hand and practice often. People tend to get shot inthe hands often.

Shooters should always shoot using their dominant eye.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A combination of:
most gunfights are 5-7 rounds,
reloading;
that many cops just dont carry spare shotgun ammo; and
a shotgun is usually slow (stab 4 competition techniques notwithstanding, try that under pressure) and even when they do drawing a handgun is still so much faster.
Thanks. Don't they have the extended magazine that will hold like 7-8 plus chamber?

Yes, I doubt I could load in a stressful situation...especially now at my age. The trade off... I'd be a little judicious with my shots. I'm expecting my dogs to do the initial engagement.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks. Don't they have the extended magazine that will hold like 7-8 plus chamber?
Some do, but you've got to have a extended barrel, meaning two more inches of barrel (20 instead of 18) on a gun that's already pretty unwieldy. It also really starts getting muzzle heavy when you stack that many rounds out there. I don't like it. I prefer a 14 to 18 inch barrel. Obviously most are limited to a min of 18 inch barrel.

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
What year? Church or Sand Hill?

Bushmaster as in AZ Guard? Or you like Bushmaster rifles.

What units?

Sounds familiar. But I didnt shoot there. I was shopping for something.

Edit: wrong, it was Shooters I went to.

My last trip there we were shooting from dusk to dawn, hands bleeding type stuff. Fun but exhausting. Im getting a little elderly for this.

Bushmaster as in 25mm chain gun. It was my callsign when I commanded a BFV company,

I was in 1/120th IN, 3-13 IN, 73 Armor for a REALLY short stint.

Jims Pawn Shop is on Yadkin Road in Fayetteville. fairly nice indoor range and they let you shoot any used weapon in the place for the cost of ammo and range time. I don't shoot as much anymore. Elbows get too damn sore. Now we teach them to shoot with their elbow pads in. Probably smarter this way though.

Taught BCT at Sand Hill and sent DS to support there, but didn't do basic there. I went to Jackson for basic, then commissioned, then Benning for officer basic.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ohhh, Fayettenam. I havent been there since the late 80s.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well I gave it a try today.....ghost ring sight was much easier to use but it's gonna be a little un natural for a while....posture, shoulder and stance are going to take mucho work.
Reps. It just takes reps and dry firing counts.

Be very, very careful with dry firing though. Either do it outside in a safe direction or designate a sterile area (basement or whatever).

By sterile area, I mean NO AMMO in there ever. So you don't forget. A famous gun writer and instructor killed a man on his last day at work as a fed cop because he was dry firing, took a phone call, forgot he reloaded the revolver, then went back to dry firing, killing his partner a few walls away.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if it is the BEST caliber. But I know it is a sweet, sweet piece.

5708d823ee4236bfa77c039d8f74c823.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah... one of the two actually functions properly. :)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My brother in laws got these around Thanksgiving. They are smooth. I was not very good with it. Took a shot or two to get my bearings. But fun.
That's because they don't have a stock and there isn't a very good way to look downt he barrel.

Looks cool I guess. Useless, but looks cool. Arnold would carry one fighting a Predator.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's because they don't have a stock and there isn't a very good way to look downt he barrel.

Looks cool I guess. Useless, but looks cool. Arnold would carry one fighting a Predator.
I’d agree. Only good 5 feet or less.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I guess people sometimes refer to them as "Truck guns" which makes no sense to me. Carrying in a truck or any vehicle for that matter a sidearm is still going to be easier to access from a holster or your console and give you better control of the weapon.....I've shot PG shotguns standing up before before and even though I prefer shotguns to handguns 90% of the time....sitting in a car or attempting to get out of one isn't one of those times as it would require use of both hands.....
For home defense a full stock shotgun will be more accurate 100 times out of 100 than a pistol grip pump shotgun or "firearm".....No thanks the thing even has a synthetic grip and the worse part is it doesn't even have a breaching choke should I decide to gouge someones eye out....:lol2:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Imo, you should start working on shooting left handed then. Really, every defensive shooter should be able to shoot w either hand and practice often. People tend to get shot inthe hands often.

Shooters should always shoot using their dominant eye.

I can't even piss left handed. And I get shot in the hand thats gotta hurt like fuk. Imma quit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator