The Billy Donovan Thread

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
rogdochar;n162092 said:
I love having Donovan as our BB coach. My Donovan let-down is I'm afraid he doesn't think a dynamic big man
6'11" to 7' is worth an all-out recruit pursuit. Fear he doesn't like recruiting enough.

Donovan did say he hasn't recruited as well as he could have the last few years and he said he has to reevaluate that.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n162092 said:
I love having Donovan as our BB coach. My Donovan let-down is I'm afraid he doesn't think a dynamic big man
6'11" to 7' is worth an all-out recruit pursuit. Fear he doesn't like recruiting enough.

This has been an issue that people don't even realize. He has made a habit of playing guys out of position. UD, Lee, Tyus are examples of guys he played at the pivot instead of their natural positions. It's no surprise that UD developed overseas and came back to be an NBA starter. Lee was a surprise rookie because he was able to play his natural position. We also had a long era of players transferring to start at another D1 school. You don't have to have a true center to have a successful offense, but you shouldn't try to incorporate something into your offense when you don't have that piece. It's not an indictment of the players, they played admirably in their situations. The only pivot player I remember in recent years is Macklin, and his knees sucked so bad you could really only get a good 1st half out of him.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n162082 said:
You can't argue the point because you know absolutely nothing on the subject. It would take some critical thinking to understand wtf was going on. Before the '04's came along, fans weren't so elated with Billy. And the '04's, even your dumbass could have gotten an Elite 8 out of them...well you may very well have been detrimental and cost them an Elite 8, but any decent HS coach in FL could've gotten an Elite 8, and several would've been Final 4's and NC's. That team ran itself for the most part. Anthony Grant had a good deal to do with it too. Hell, Billy had to call AG to help out the 2nd year because he couldn't communicate with them, and AG spoke to the boys and it was all good.

But let me answer you in a way you'll actually understand....nuh uh, you stupid.

Listen fool, it amazes me how you claim everything good that has happened with our basketball team since Donovan's arrival has been done despite him and everything bad is because of him. Donovan recruits a 17 year old kid from a tiny private school that no one heard of or recruited and turns him into one of the best college guards in basketball who leads his team to a record 30 wins, but according to you it's all because the kids coached themselves. But of course it was the coach who lost the game, not the kids. And of course your same scenario goes for any success we've had in what was a pretty moribund program before Billy's arrival.

You're a proven idiot and you do nothing to dispel that fact.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

i thought this was a baseball thread...............

Attachments

• conv_2182.gif
    conv_2182.gif
    911.9 KB · Views: 41

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n162119 said:
Listen fool, it amazes me how you claim everything good that has happened with our basketball team since Donovan's arrival has been done despite him and everything bad is because of him. Donovan recruits a 17 year old kid from a tiny private school that no one heard of or recruited and turns him into one of the best college guards in basketball who leads his team to a record 30 wins, but according to you it's all because the kids coached themselves. But of course it was the coach who lost the game, not the kids. And of course your same scenario goes for any success we've had in what was a pretty moribund program before Billy's arrival.

You're a proven idiot and you do nothing to dispel that fact.

So your one example of Donovan doing something is Wilbekin? And he did it all by himself, not with Young, Frazier, and company? You act like Wilbekin was Donovan's first choice as a PG recruit. He swung and miss on several and took Wilbekin as an after thought. This is the class where he went after Brandon Knight as the big fish of the class. I think Ryan Harrow, Vander Blue, were a couple of the other PG's he missed on. So yeah, your Wilbekin example was pretty much luck , because if he played HS ball in Tennessee I doubt Donovan even knows about him. Here's another one...Chandler Parson was given a scholarship as part of the Calathis recruitment. Nevermind that Parsons was an All-American in HS. He was offered last minute as a favor to Calathis. So there is some more luck for you. So come with something more than "you're an idiot". Please tell me you can actually think and not retort like a petulant child on his mom's tit.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n161969 said:
I wasn't quiet. I simply stated that Donovan needs a natural leader on the court. He had that with Wilbekin and Young. We had a team that should've at least made it to the final game, but Donovan overworked Wilbekin during the SEC and NCAA tournaments and he finally wore down. It was one of the best teams we've had at UF due to above average talent and team chemistry. They earned their Final 4 ticket, but it should've been more.

This year I am only quiet because the product on the court is so poor that I can't watch it. We have upperclassmen who are getting blamed by the coaching staff, yet it's the coaching staff failing them. If you want to nuthug Donovan and give him credit for 2 NC's that he had very little to do with outside of getting lucky in recruiting (and having Sidney Green and Tito Horford really coaching behind the scenes), then you should blame him for 5 straight years of losing in the first weekend with loaded rosters. Blame him for mailing in recruiting when he thought he was leaving us. Blame him for 2 ****ty NIT berths. Not saying he's some horrific coach, but if he left, we could get better. Personally, I was happy when he left, and pissed when he returned.

But since you decided to make such a jackass comment, maybe I should start watching and coming on here when we lose to ask you how your savior is doing.

This wins stupid post of the year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Slow your roll, boys. Try and argue without the blatant potshots. Be more subtle with them. :lol:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
oEgT99H.gif

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n162193 said:
This wins stupid post of the year.

Considering you as the source? It's like Ray Charles judging a coloring contest. I feel like I'm arguing with a 3rd grader on immigration. So exactly which trimester did your mother decide that Jack Daniels was going to be your company in the womb?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n162226 said:
Slow your roll, boys. Try and argue without the blatant potshots. Be more subtle with them. :lol:

I was as kind as could be. :dunno:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well at least we won a close game recently. Better than loosing but having multiple unforced turnovers when 13 points up is very frustrating. But I bet coach told them to do that to take it easy on his friend and to make it exciting for him. HA HA HA!!!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
alcoholica;n162082 said:
You can't argue the point because you know absolutely nothing on the subject. It would take some critical thinking to understand wtf was going on. Before the '04's came along, fans weren't so elated with Billy. And the '04's, even your dumbass could have gotten an Elite 8 out of them...well you may very well have been detrimental and cost them an Elite 8, but any decent HS coach in FL could've gotten an Elite 8, and several would've been Final 4's and NC's. That team ran itself for the most part. Anthony Grant had a good deal to do with it too. Hell, Billy had to call AG to help out the 2nd year because he couldn't communicate with them, and AG spoke to the boys and it was all good.

But let me answer you in a way you'll actually understand....nuh uh, you stupid.
Didn't I just see Grant having a hard time feigning a smile while shaking Billy's hand after, what is it now, 9 losses out of 9 tries head to head? Yeah, obviously Grant was the winner of that coaching team.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well somehow with no NBA talent on the team we were very successful last year. Beat UK three times, went undefeated in the SEC, and had a good run. Not to give coach any credit for this is not believable. Now the players must do their part as they are not doing currently.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n161969 said:
But since you decided to make such a jackass comment, maybe I should start watching and coming on here when we lose to ask you how your savior is doing.

A one....

in-trophy.jpg

and a two.....

topper-gators.jpg

I guess this a jackass comment as well?:dunno:

solarman

Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2014
OK.. someone changed my thread title. I guess it was to match with alcoholica's idiotic posts.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Who would have done such a thing?

In all honesty, if the topic had stayed on baseball, there would have been two posts and the thread would be on page 3 by now. No one cares about Gator basketball, how many do you think care about baseball? It's just the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.