The Birth of Gatorchatter

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fun topic for our Gatorchatter family:

When our beloved Gatorchatter site was born, who sent out the emails to folks to get them to join up? Who had the list of people? Was there any notice that GSMB was going down? Were you the one to set loose your pet gerbil/hamster at the GSMB offices? Were you on GSMB one day and then it was gone the next minute, hour, or day? Did you suffer from withdrawals cause you weren't able to talk Gator sports with your favorite people? How long did it take for you to get over to GC? Were you relieved to find and reconnect with your favorite online heroes and friends?

I know that I had gotten an email from someone to come over and check out this site so I did. I think I also remember someone posting something somewhere, maybe on GSMB about this site and to some check it out too. When I signed up someone had already put up an avatar for me of my most memorable catch phrase. Discuss, bloviate, and conversate!

The march towards 1 million continues...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im fuzzy now, not exactly what happened in details as to how we started up and found the members.

As for GSMB, it had been going down intermittently, or spitting out useless garbage with the dates all garbled, absolutely inreadable. The Sun refused to upgrade their software which was hopelessly out-of-date. Eventually they put up a page blaming the shutdown to disruptive posters or something and encouraging us to go to Facebook instead.

Several of us contacted Ox and he play around some ideas. I did so through his podcast page. The truth is it was absolutely 100% him. I can tell you my idea was something like a Yahoo or Google groups. Ox wanted to do it right and was willing to fund it.

From there he sent notifications to those of us that he had a good contact address for. We also went out and try to find old Friends that were forced to go to swamp gas or the other forums. Once GSMB was backup, I certainly hunted for members and sent them personal messages. I know others did too.

GSMB got to the point that they banned the word chatter.

I'm sure Ox or 78 will come along to give more details.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who was said Poster? I’d like to punch them in the face and kick them in the balls.
It REALLY wasnt the poster. The forum was failing regularly. The software was ancient and they had no intention of updating it.

I guess it sounds better to blame someone rather than admit you don't have the money to run a decent website.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who was said Poster? I’d like to punch them in the face and kick them in the balls.
Oops. I thought you meant the poster that shut the form down.

There's a decent chance that I invited boss over.

He's an idiot but he's our idiot. He just needs to hit his shots.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This has been discussed a number of times. Instead of typing it all up again I’ll dig up one of my old posts and repost it.

Swamp Donkey and 78 were keys to jump starting the site, there’s no doubt about that. They told anyone who would listen about it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This has been discussed a number of times. Instead of typing it all up again I’ll dig up one of my old posts and repost it.

Swamp Donkey and 78 were keys to jump starting the site, there’s no doubt about that. They told anyone who would listen about it.
I never heard from either of them. I reached out to you directly. I wasn’t on their list. Jerks.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have been uninvited many times.....

:harvey1:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
At least 100 members found us by going to my podcast site, where I had a link posted.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was paid $5 for every member I convinced to join.

Let’s see if I ever get around to getting someone to join...

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

78 somehow got in touch with me. I can't remember how. The place has come a long way in a short time. :thumbup:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was pissed. The old forum was a disaster towards the end but those jerks just flipping the switch with no notice or warning. **** 'em.

I thought we might naturally migrate to another existing forum so I kept checking other fora for the usual suspects. Not a lot of luck. Then I started googling the old screen names (Ox, Law, etc.) and found the new forum.

I joined and started spreading the word far and wide. Grateful to Ox for creating a new home for us. I know it is Ox's forum but I feel like a bunch of us own little pieces of it. Ox did the heavy lifting, he poured the foundation and did the framing but we put down the flooring, hung the drywall, shingled the roof, etc. It's our little dysfunctional Gator family.

There was some sort of glitch after a few days or a week and I actually had to re-register but other than that, it has just gotten better and better. Now all we need is a return to dominance on the field.

Alex.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know it is Ox's forum but I feel like a bunch of us own little pieces of it.

I have exactly $4,824 in equity. I believe that should at least get me entrance into the executive dining room. :shakehead:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Thanks to Swonkey, GattorChatter is still borne.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was paid $5 for every member I convinced to join.

Let’s see if I ever get around to getting someone to join...
Wait..... dollars?

I only got Oxbux!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator