The Bottom Line: UF is 3-0

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Exactly. If he is not going to make any improvements in recruiting, things will hit a wall with a 10 win second or third in SEC east ceiling and occasional 7-5 season. Not sure how things will improve.

Just remember that Mullen has already recruited two Qbs so far that "fit" his system. One was expelled and the other can't beat a 2 star pocket passer guy who has not started since middle school recruited by butters. Let that sink in.

I hope he makes recruiting a priority rather than an afterthought, and make tough decisions that may not be popular with his buddies.
How quickly do improvements in recruiting appear? He has overhauled the entire support staff. Shouldn't we at the very least see what happens on signing day?

As for QBs, mullens first recruit is redshirt freshman. Let that sink in. We all expect players to be trevor Lawrence but that's not the norm.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
How quickly do improvements in recruiting appear? He has overhauled the entire support staff. Shouldn't we at the very least see what happens on signing day?

As for QBs, mullens first recruit is redshirt freshman. Let that sink in. We all expect players to be trevor Lawrence but that's not the norm.
Support staff is still much smaller than our peers and he hasn’t addressed the biggest issue - the assistant coaches.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Bc he isnt, youre just hoping he will be. at this point chimp was Fielding a championship defense and a Georgia bull dwag like offense and butters was on the way to his second SEC championship game. Mullins is barely missing a two-game losing streak to Kintucky and leading us to a fifth straight double-digit recruiting class.

You hope he will be better, so do I, but he hasn't proven a damn thing.
True, but think about this: if CDM had inherited the defense that Butters inherited from Chump, last year might have been spectacular.
Also, you are correct to say that CDM has proven little or nothing, but in proving little, he has given little reason for the absolute negatives from your side. Some of us didn't expect too much when he came and think he is doing a little better than our low expectations.
Also, some of us knew that the O-line would be bad. You thought it would be better than last year. So far, you are wrong. I don't blame that on CDM, the line has been a mess for a while and seems to be getting corrected.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Support staff is still much smaller than our peers and he hasn’t addressed the biggest issue - the assistant coaches.
How many do we have employed on our support staff? How many should we have? I'm not saying we have as many as others, but is there some actual information on it? If it's a budget issue, who is responsible for that?

When are asst coaches usually fired/hired?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
How many do we have employed on our support staff? How many should we have? I'm not saying we have as many as others, but is there some actual information on it? If it's a budget issue, who is responsible for that?

When are asst coaches usually fired/hired?
Sammons article said 11. Bama and UGA have like 60 plus, including former HCs.

Generally after the season. Which Mullen should have after last season. Plus, when was the last time he cleaned out offensive staff? Never? Knox over Seider was a terrible choice and continues to hurt the program.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't disagree on the staff adjustments. They should be gone, imo, and if it ends up being the reason his family has to pack their stuff and go elsewhere, he'll have to live with that.

But to your first point, the last two stiffs did nothing of the sort. WM especially, spent his first 2 years here conditioning the minds of fans that he'd inherited a mess from the previous regime, even debating with the fans as to whether or not we were justified in our anger during 2013. McElwain publicly complained about facilities, blaming them for the current state, and was snarky in interviews as early as the 2016 Lsu game where he practically wanted to be crowned for winning the East a second time. I'm not saying these guys didn't talk about standards and winning titles, etc. Yes, that's coach speak. But Mullen made it clear when he got here, and repeated it several times in the first offseason that there was nothing less that was acceptable and that it should start immediately. And he inherited by far the worst of the three scenarios. Again, I'm not discounting that all coaches speak glowingly about their prospects. But by his own admission, if he isn't delivering championships, then he's failed. I respect that he didn't take the easy route and give us the "patience" line the way many head coaches have done.

If there's a flaw that I see, it's that he's too confident in his ability to coach-up, making him susceptible to being ok with average recruiting. But unlike JM who saw no issue, I think he does realize this and truly wants to improve it. The question is how, and will he do it? I think he will because I think he's smart enough to know that you only get a job like this once. But as was mentioned in the recruiting thread, if he's winning 10 games a year while getting us to that next level, I'm ok with giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Spot on! Absolutely spot on. The only tiny quibble that I would offer is that I believe he has already decided not to make major staff changes to enhance recruiting. He has chosen the ditch he is prepared to die in and the people who he will die with (maybe not English).

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Sammons article said 11. Bama and UGA have like 60 plus, including former HCs.

Generally after the season. Which Mullen should have after last season. Plus, when was the last time he cleaned out offensive staff? Never? Knox over Seider was a terrible choice and continues to hurt the program.
Thanks. So is it a Mullen decision, a stricklin, or someone else? Do you remember the name of the article ?

As for offensive staff, arent those some of the same guys who were here for our national championships? I dont really care who Mullen hires, it's just difficult for me to say we'd be winning if he simply hired some guns. Definitely could work, could also backfire.

I think we all would have liked to keep Seider, but I dont think its torpedoing our program.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Thanks. So is it a Mullen decision, a stricklin, or someone else? Do you remember the name of the article ?

As for offensive staff, arent those some of the same guys who were here for our national championships? I dont really care who Mullen hires, it's just difficult for me to say we'd be winning if he simply hired some guns. Definitely could work, could also backfire.

I think we all would have liked to keep Seider, but I dont think its torpedoing our program.
The vision behind Dan Mullen’s overhaul of Florida’s...

No, they are not. Only 3 of them - Mullen, Hev, and Gonzo - were here. There rest of the deadweight would’ve never made a Meyer staff. Regarding Seider, think of it this way: we let go of a well connected guy in the state of Florida who’s widely considered one of the best position and recruiting coaches in the country for a guy who’s not considered a strong position or recruiting coach AND who is in tight with Florida HS coaches. Basically swapped our best assistant for our second worst (he’s lucky English is here - its amazing English is still employed at any level). It was a devastating blow.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The vision behind Dan Mullen’s overhaul of Florida’s...

No, they are not. Only 3 of them - Mullen, Hev, and Gonzo - were here. There rest of the deadweight would’ve never made a Meyer staff. Regarding Seider, think of it this way: we let go of a well connected guy in the state of Florida who’s widely considered one of the best position and recruiting coaches in the country for a guy who’s not considered a strong position or recruiting coach AND who is in tight with Florida HS coaches. Basically swapped our best assistant for our second worst (he’s lucky English is here - its amazing English is still employed at any level). It was a devastating blow.

The biggest loss with Seider was the pipeline he would have opened in the Glades. Belle Glade, Pahokee, Clewiston, South Bay those areas would have opened up wide. Seider and his father are in the Palm Beach County Hall of Fame and carry some weight in Muck City. Big loss on that move.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The biggest loss with Seider was the pipeline he would have opened in the Glades. Belle Glade, Pahokee, Clewiston, South Bay those areas would have opened up wide. Seider and his father are in the Palm Beach County Hall of Fame and carry some weight in Muck City. Big loss on that move.
Totally agree. But I don’t want to minimize the loss to just one region - he’s a better position coach and he’s very good at landing talent other places too. What Mullen did was apparent - he chose a coach that’s followed him everywhere over a much more talented coach that was the lone bright spot in recruiting since 2013 (Champ’s staff could recruit - at east certain positions). Plain and simple.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'll take the win and very glad for it. I won't say Kentucky was the better, because better teams find a way to win and that's what UF did last night. We always have fits with UK. Always have and probably always will. But they were a team that wore down last night. You can tell by the 385 pound lard azz NT by the 4th. UK played well enough to win, but in the end.......they folded. There are a lot of what if's and you could go on for days about it. The Gators have a lot to work on, but in recent years, especially under Butters....this team would have been the one to fold. Good win, get ready for the inbreds, and Go Gators.

That’s actually not true. Kentucky has rarely been a challenge for us since Spurrier became head coach. I think people have this misconception because of our last second win on the Wuerffel to Doering pass in ‘93 that Kentucky has played us tough year in/year out.

Since 1990 through 2017 (timeframe where our winning streak was alive) the only years where it was a single digit game were ‘91, ‘93, ‘02, ‘03, ‘07, ‘14, ‘15 & ‘17. 8 times in 28 years. ‘07 really wasn’t that close as we had a 14 point lead as Kentucky scored a TD as time expired. Factor in that if the 8 games we won by single digits, 5 of those games were coached by dipsticks named Zook or Sharkfcvker. Other than that, many of the 28 games we straight up routed them and some were garden variety, comfortable double digit wins where the outcome was never in doubt. As far as 2018 and 2019, well those games were coached by Mullen and our winning streak came to an end under him so that tells you something. Bottom line is if we have (and when we’ve had) a competent coaching staff, we should/we have blown these guys out of the stadium damn near every year.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. I don’t think people remember we had the lead in 3rd quarter. But then our secondary happened :(
I was thinking Linebackers...tight end in the flats...LB's too slow to get out there.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Right now I think we'd be 3.5 point underdogs at home against Auburn. But a lot could happen over the next 2 weekends.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

All he really needs is a couple more Pouncy Twins to make his offense go. That's it. A single pair of freakish, NFL All-Pro Twins from Florida pronto por favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator