The Bright Side

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There isn’t much positive to say the morning after. We’re clearly rebuilding and hopefully the loss will humble the team. At the very least, a more fundamentally sound team that executed on a more regular basis would be a welcomed upgrade.

That being said, I see a silver lining. Let’s look at the records of some of the coaches we may have gotten instead of Mullen right now:

Scott Frost: 0-1
Chip Kelly: 0-2
Willie Taggart: 1-1

These guys are all struggling and have just as many problems with their respective teams, if not more. As bad as this season seems right now, let’s try to keep that in perspective.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
There isn’t much positive to say the morning after. We’re clearly rebuilding and hopefully the loss will humble the team. At the very least, a more fundamentally sound team that executed on a more regular basis would be a welcomed upgrade.

That being said, I see a silver lining. Let’s look at the records of some of the coaches we may have gotten instead of Mullen right now:

These guys are all struggling and have just as many problems with their respective teams, if not more. As bad as this season seems right now, let’s try to keep that in perspective.

I don't feel any better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why is brightside one word?
Boat paint?
199309_LRG.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You heard SOS being interviewed during the game. He didn't hesitate to offer his opinion on what Mullen needs to do first. Recruit a top five class.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You heard SOS being interviewed during the game. He didn't hesitate to offer his opinion on what Mullen needs to do first. Recruit a top five class.
Unfortunately, Mullinz isn't a recruiter and he didn't hire any either.

SOS, for all the negative stuff we've heard, pretty much always landed a top 5 class. When he didn't it was bc his roster was full and he only needed 12 recruits or whatever.

OurProgramIsBroken

Oct 29, 2017

We've been saying "we're rebuilding" and "this loss will humble the team" for the past 8 years. We're not rebuilding anymore, and we haven't had any leadership since tebow/spikes, to make a loss humble us.. This is UF football now.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, Mullinz isn't a recruiter and he didn't hire any either.

SOS, for all the negative stuff we've heard, pretty much always landed a top 5 class. When he didn't it was bc his roster was full and he only needed 12 recruits or whatever.
Recruiting will define Mullen's tenure. I'm not betting on it happening.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The Bright Side:

1. Beer is still tasty when ice cold.

2. The right whiskey is smooth as silk.

3. If you choose, weed is becoming legal in more and more places.

As far as Gator football is concerned, not a thing is bright, it's just one big malaise of inertia.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This team will get better and more accustomed to Mullen's offense as the season progresses. As for Grantham, good God, man. Tackle drills and more tackle drills.

You can only dress up a pig so much, though. We're as desperate for big able bodies as I can ever recall. We ain't going anywhere until we address that.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
There’s some truth to this all. There’s only a handful of coaches that can recruit and play at the elite level. I personally wanted Kelly, but once he was gone I knew we had no choice but to settle. We’re simply not going to spend what it takes like A&M to get a proven leader in here. We took our shots, chimp and butters didn’t pan out. Georgia hit the jackpot. It is what it is.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Had to check the date on this thread. I thought someone brought one back from 5 years ago.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I saw the SOS interview. This exchange jumped out to me:

Interviewer: something to the effect of, "what do you think of Dan Mullen as coach of the Gators?"

SOS: "He's got a great opportunity . . ."

That caught my attention. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I caught the SOS interview. This exchange jumped out to me:

Interviewer: something to the effect of, "what do you think of Dan Mullen as coach of the Gators?"

SOS: "He's got a great opportunity . . ."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Heard that. I think he said something complimentary the sentence prior, but SOS doesn't kiss up.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well to me there is no bright side nor is there one in the foreseeable future. With that, I would have said that before last nite that the bright side would have been this coming weekend when CSU comes to town, especially how bad they looked against a terrible Hawaii team. I figured the pumpers would be in full genuflection mode after that game. However after the big CSU comeback and just truly what our team is, the dark clouds have moved out any bright side potential.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Seriously? What did you expect him to say, "let me coach these guys and I'll show you an offense." Spurrier was being loyal to UF like he always has been despite their treatment of him.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
What concerns me is Mullen saying the team still dont know how to practice properly. He's had a full spring and fall camp to get them doing just that.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The bright side is we don't have to play Kentucky again this year

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.