Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another burned edge for Rahm. Damn

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Oostie hits the stick on the par 3…but it doesn’t drop for the hole-in-one. :facepalm:

I’ll be surprised if he makes his putt for birdie.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Oostie hits the stick on the par 3…but it doesn’t drop for the hole-in-one. :facepalm:

I’ll be surprised if he makes his putt for birdie.

On a course where Looey butchered the easiest hole on the course, he almost aces maybe the most difficult hole , a par 3, 250+ yards. That shot looked like a putt someone had rolled from 10 feet away and Looey did it with a long iron.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
On a course where Looey butchered the easiest hole on the course, he almost aces maybe the most difficult hole , a par 3, 250+ yards. That shot looked like a putt someone had rolled from 10 feet away and Looey did it with a long iron.

Glad he made the putt. I’d like to have some drama & excitement down the stretch.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Misses a very make-able, must have birdie putt & then finds the fairway bunker on his drive off the next tee.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watching Morikawa drain pressure putt after pressure putt was really something. First man to ever win 2 different majors on his first attempt, wow.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Morikawa was impressive. Every tee shot was a nice controlled fade. The announcers talked about how tight his shot dispersions were on drives. That left to right ball flight helps in that regard. Lee Trevino used to say that you could talk to a fade, but a hook wouldn’t listen! Obviously the pros can work it either way that the shot might call for, but his fade off the tee was money. His ability to keep the tee shot out of the fescue was a big difference maker and it doesn’t hurt that he’s a tremendous putter as well.

24 and just won his second major, the British Open, the first time playing in it. That’s pretty special and makes you think that the best is yet to come. It’s easy to say that Louis is gonna Louis and he did just that with his swing continuing the deterioration that appeared in the third round. Maybe he gets another shot at a major, but the clock is against him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Morikawa and Rahm don’t have several major battles in the coming seasons. They are among if not the best of golf’s up and comers.

I’m with GiG in that the British Open and the Masters are my favorite majors and I really enjoy watching the Open and it’s rota a little more. The tournament this week got a big pass from the weather which I believe favored a very consistent golfer like Morikawa, who’s also a terrific putter. That was Louis’ strong suit, but he was no match on Sunday. Maybe the weight of maintaining the lead for the first three rounds was more than he could bear? I don’t know that the most difficult thing in all of sports is holding a lead for the majority of a contest against highly skilled and determined opponents.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Morikawa played well. He had to scramble a bit today and when he did, he made the shots and drained the putts. Not too shabby for his first time playing in the BRITISH OPEN.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Morikawa was impressive. Every tee shot was a nice controlled fade. The announcers talked about how tight his shot dispersions were on drives. That left to right ball flight helps in that regard. Lee Trevino used to say that you could talk to a fade, but a hook wouldn’t listen! Obviously the pros can work it either way that the shot might call for, but his fade off the tee was money. His ability to keep the tee shot out of the fescue was a big difference maker and it doesn’t hurt that he’s a tremendous putter as well.

24 and just won his second major, the British Open, the first time playing in it. That’s pretty special and makes you think that the best is yet to come. It’s easy to say that Louis is gonna Louis and he did just that with his swing continuing the deterioration that appeared in the third round. Maybe he gets another shot at a major, but the clock is against him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Morikawa and Rahm don’t have several major battles in the coming seasons. They are among if not the best of golf’s up and comers.

I’m with GiG in that the British Open and the Masters are my favorite majors and I really enjoy watching the Open and it’s rota a little more. The tournament this week got a big pass from the weather which I believe favored a very consistent golfer like Morikawa, who’s also a terrific putter. That was Louis’ strong suit, but he was no match on Sunday. Maybe the weight of maintaining the lead for the first three rounds was more than he could bear? I don’t know that the most difficult thing in all of sports is holding a lead for the majority of a contest against highly skilled and determined opponents.
IMO the fade is just so much more controllable that the draw. Its nice to be able to turn the ball over when you need to work it around a corner or get to a dangerous pin, but the fade just has a much tighter dispersion than the draw for most guys, especially with the longer clubs and the driver. Sure seems like most of the guys winning a lot of tourneys hit that fade especially off the tee whereas guys like McIlroy hit it great one day and terrible the next with their big draw swings.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IMO the fade is just so much more controllable that the draw. Its nice to be able to turn the ball over when you need to work it around a corner or get to a dangerous pin, but the fade just has a much tighter dispersion than the draw for most guys, especially with the longer clubs and the driver. Sure seems like most of the guys winning a lot of tourneys hit that fade especially off the tee whereas guys like McIlroy hit it great one day and terrible the next with their big draw swings.
A certain Golden Bear used to dominate the game with one.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely. I never was a great golfer, but when I played my very best, I could consistently hit a high soft fade with my long irons that I could control. My tee shots were a hard left to right stinger that I could keep in the short grass. Then for some reason I decided that I needed to draw the ball and I worked that into my game, flattened my swing, and gave away all the control I had. Trying to pick up some length along with the draw, I added a snap hook. I almost quit playing. These days I’m back to the controlled fade and even though I’ve lost length, I’ve regained consistency. That’s the lesson a young golfer can pick up from Morikawa’s game.

@itsgr82bag8r as far as I’m concerned, there’s the Golden Bear and then everybody else (Tiger’s a close second)…

upload_2021-7-18_17-49-2.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Have any of you hackers ever played a golf course designed by Nicklaus? For guys that can play it is called a fade. For the everyday duffer, it is known as a slice. Every course that Nicklaus has designed, that I know of, if set up for right handed players and their slice!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have any of you hackers ever played a golf course designed by Nicklaus? For guys that can play it is called a fade. For the everyday duffer, it is known as a slice. Every course that Nicklaus has designed, that I know of, if set up for right handed players and their slice!
I’ve played a couple and they are indeed set up predominantly for the left to right shots. I’d bet that of all the holes on all the courses that aren’t straight, most favor a fade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.