The case for Emory Jones

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I expect next season to look like this season.
Trask starts, Jones plays, but I think Jones plays a little more, and is allowed to throw more. If they don't, there is no reason to put him in.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
He needs at least a quarter (if not more) of a few games for developing into 21’ or if Trask turns back into the man of glass

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We play Eastern Washington & South Alabama in weeks 1 & 3. He should get at least a full quarter in each of these games, hopefully a full half. Last year vs. two of our cupcakes we went into the locker room w/ a 17-0 lead - that needs to change. Get up 35-7 or so and let Jones play the full second half, or if we get the ball first let Trask play the first series then pull him.

Also, we play New Mexico State in late November. We could give EJ that full game. Spurrier did that w/ Kresser in 1995 (or 94) and he set a UF single game passing record.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
We play Eastern Washington & South Alabama in weeks 1 & 3. He should get at least a full quarter in each of these games, hopefully a full half. Last year vs. two of our cupcakes we went into the locker room w/ a 17-0 lead - that needs to change. Get up 35-7 or so and let Jones play the full second half, or if we get the ball first let Trask play the first series then pull him.

Also, we play New Mexico State in late November. We could give EJ that full game. Spurrier did that w/ Kresser in 1995 (or 94) and he set a UF single game passing record.
I hadn't actually looked at the schedule much (other than to look at the away SEC games); that's a horrible OOC schedule, especially with FSU figuring to be down again next year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullinz doesnt play underclassmen.

When the backups were Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Dak Prescott, they still didnt play.

the senior QB plays, PERIOD.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Mullinz doesnt play underclassmen.

When the backups were Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Dak Prescott, they still didnt play.

the senior QB plays, PERIOD.
Didn’t realize Mullen was the HC at UF when Tim and Cam were here as underclassmen. BTW, how did that work out, can’t remember.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Personally, I like Trask and think he's one of the best QBs returning IMO. That being said I'm excited to see EJ and am afraid he may end up transferring before we can really see him.

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
I think its personal preference at this point on whom you think should start. After the season we just had with Trask at the helm, I believe he should get the start, simply because of stats and wins (Orange Bowl performance was lacking though). However, if your a fan that longs for a QB to improvise and run when they should probably pass,and pass when they should probably run, then Emory is your guy. Either way, I like where the team is headed, and our returners seem to be really excited next year with genuine confidence of making the CFB.

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
Personally, I like Trask and think he's one of the best QBs returning IMO. That being said I'm excited to see EJ and am afraid he may end up transferring before we can really see him.
Why would he transfer at this point? If he transfers, he would have to sit out a year. Its the same as if he sat one more year at UF behind Trask...might as well stay. Plus, his father already stated they are all in on Dan's process.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Hopefully, Dan pulls Trask after we are up 28-0 in the first QTR.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff here. I really want to see a lot more EJ but I am excited for Trask. I really like the situation we are in and I think EJ is going to be lights out as a JR & SR.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
Trask played well enough in 2019 to start in 2020. It’s his money year. So, as long as he’s producing and healthy, we won’t see Emory starting or taking much more prime time reps than we saw last season. Mullen will rotate to win, but will also secondarily try to help Trask make bank. Very good for recruiting. Most elite athletes with a brain want to see development and placement at that position.

However, since 2021 is presumably his year, I’d like to see Emory get a whole series here or there against our weaker SEC opponents and some complete quarters versus overmatched non conference opponents like New Mexico and FSU.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My response isn't about Trask or EJ per se. I just think that a dual threat QB in college ball is a much more potent weapon. Of course he has to be able to throw the ball accurately. As to our current players, clearly EJ is ten times the running threat that Trask is. What remains to be seen is how well he can throw the ball as an every down QB. He has certainly thrown quite a few nice passes along the way but you can also argue that he benefits from surprising the defense with these passes due to the nature of his current role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb