The case for Emory Jones

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The center was physically overmatched but that's NO excuse for the piss poor technique of the Guards. Their job on inside zone or trap/counter is to engage the NT or whoever is lined up over the center on one side and the other guard should come across without opening up and drill the first MFer he sees usually a ILB....
Well, the guard doesnt pull on an inside zone (or zone read). We did run some power, traps and similar guard pull stuff (and tackle pull) later in the year, but mostly it was just combo blocking and the RB is supposed to read. Im just not a fan of combo blocking especially with younger OL. Too much reading and feeling by too many people and too.many fvkkups.

But still, most of what we ran was read option stuff. Insanity. You just can't do that vs SEC ends, unless they are just terrified of Tebow and Harvin. This isn't Big 10 or WAC.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That is also a by product of the DE's "reading the sloppy trainwreck of our G's technique....they did it repeatedly....opening up(turning as they start to come across)...
Dude, the guards arent touching the backside end on a read option. Im not sure what you think you are seeing, maybe it is perhaps superficially similar to something you ran back in the day.

Edit: here is the video

This is STILL the offense. And that first play Urban describes is the base play that Mullinz runs most of the time. (There are of course many different wrinkles)

The END is unblocked BY DESIGN. IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH THE OL FVKKING UP AS ALL YOU DAMN PEOPLE THINK.

Our RB getting hit in the backfield is a schematic thing cause by a nonrunnig QB, period.

And if you watch the first part of the UVA game, the CBs were playing tight stopping the RPO outside. It isn't hard to defend this at all if they aren't afraid of you throwing it over their head.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dude, the guards arent touching the backside end on a read option. Im not sure what you think you are seeing, maybe it is perhaps superficially similar to something you ran back in the day.
The DE's are watching the guards....when they open the end is thinking collapse.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Crete. you are still my favorite poster. and the fact that you truly have a concrete head is one of the things I love about you.

I mean, you did ACTUALLY listen to Urban say we don't block the end, right?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete. you are still my favorite poster. and the fact that you truly have a concrete head is one of the things I love about you.

I mean, you did ACTUALLY listen to Urban say we don't block the end, right?
The guards NOT blocking the DE.....EVER!!!
In a ONE BACK SET he sees the opposite side G turn and face him(bad technique) the play is coming to his side of the center.....he is free to eat. That's why we occasionally run the jet sweep to that side….and it worked for about 5 or 6 long TD's if you recall...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're still not tracking, but, nothing is new. Here is a diagram of the play. It is our base play and we run it dozens of times, most of the time. It isn't a pulling guard. The backside end hits our RB in the backfield because the backside end isn't respecting the run, period. The RB is hesitating because he has to read the play side OT and end. It is exactly what they are taught to do.

urban-meyers-playbook-26-728.jpg

More reading if you are into it. This is old (Utah) but the fundamentals are there.
I don't know why the link keeps breaking. google urban meyer playbook slideshare

And here is why Urban eventually went away from read option. Maybe Mullinz will figure this out. What happened to the zone read? What happened to the zone read?

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
the run, period. The RB is hesitating because he has to read the play side OT and end. It is exactly what they are taught to do.

urban-meyers-playbook-26-728.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I had to go back and watch some of the highlights from the beginning of the season because it seemed to me that we started out using more pulling the tackles and guards from some of the base running plays but it was mostly on designed QB runs...and it was pretty rare. I guess it was such a disaster that it stuck out in my mind. I did notice we kept it on the designed QB run and actually had decent success with it......

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I guess it was such a disaster that it stuck out in my mind. I did notice we kept it on the designed QB run and actually had decent success with it.
Cool. I remember those tackle pull plays. They call it something weird, counter read something something. It's not what I'd call a counter play, but whatever.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Here's a pretty good example of where they used it on the designed QB stuff, right in the beginning and textbook at about the 1.35 mark against Mizzou....it also shows them using it in(run) option although in this video EJ keeps every time. You can also see the straight up concept(read)
We struggled early (when Franks was around) and I think this was shelved other than when EJ was in later in the season.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We struggled early (when Franks was around) and I think this was shelved other than when EJ was in later in the season.

No dude. It was like 50% of our plays. Obviously, Trash didn't run, he either gave or passed. Now, some of those may be called passes, we will never know, but we showed it as read option first.

I will post vid here. Im not going to do it all, just a series or two.

play one 0:29 read option (reading right DE, who tracks Perrine down from behind
pass/ sack
hb swing pass
dafug jump pass-ish thing

defense

1:22 screen
pass
1:33 run finally and it is a... you guessed read option, reading the right DE. this is a variation bc the right tackle delays then pulls.
pass
1:43 EJ in --- read option it's a variation and they use a TE going toward the backside DE to slow him down.
EJ read option this time running at the unblocked DE.
1:49 this still starts out looking like a read option with EJ looking at the right end, but they pull a guard and run it as power.
1:52 read option RPO (or looks like it, maybe actually called, same play as the urban video) sideways to the TE.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No dude. It was like 50% of our plays. Obviously, Trash didn't run, he either gave or passed.
I'm not referring to the option.....I'm referring to the blocking design. In the video you can see that when we move the guard it is almost always a designed QB run...not an option.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This may be the Crown Apple talking but I have watched the Auburn game and the FSU game today and I believe, if he stays all 5 years, Emory will be not only Danny boys best draft eligible QB, but Florida's best draft eligible QB.

This kid has a great release and the ball explodes out of his hand. I am not calling for him to take over for Trask but I really want to see more of him this season.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
This may be the Crown Apple talking but I have watched the Auburn game and the FSU game today and I believe, if he stays all 5 years, Emory will be not only Danny boys best draft eligible QB, but Florida's best draft eligible QB.

This kid has a great release and the ball explodes out of his hand. I am not calling for him to take over for Trask but I really want to see more of him this season.

The guy that’s trained Emory and AR (Denny Thompson at 6 points) said that Emory is great...but AR is going to be THE BEST PLAYER at UF since Tebow...and he’s trained a lot of QBs...I’m all for Emory starting playing 50% of all the games next year...cause in 22’ I’m chomping at the bit to see AR be the starter

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.