The Chimp mercifully FIRED at South Carolina; to hire Shane Beamer as coach

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by BMF, Nov 15, 2020.

1. CGgater

CGgater Gainesville Native
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,306
    Ratings:
    +11,335 / -183
    We're arguing the same point on urbs, but I didnt know Dabo was the climpson WR coach. Weird that he jumped right over both coordinators to take over.

2. CU-UF

CU-UF Where-ever law ends, tyranny begins
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $667
    Ratings:
    +1,119 / -212
    Ya, but, and it may be my own inherent bias here, the more successful ones seem to start HC at smaller programs. Granted I guess SC could be considered like Miss State and Mullen, but idk, I think SC is slightly more high profile. Regardless, time will certainly tell with this hire and given lack of any HC history I don't think you can say its a slam dunk hire.

3. gardnerwebbgator

gardnerwebbgator Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,975
    Ratings:
    +9,613 / -407
    If Beamer didn't have the last name he has, he never would have been interviewed.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $20,451
      Ratings:
      +27,882 / -424
      If Beamer hadn't spent 4 years there as an assistant he never would have been interviewed. He probably wouldn't be this far ahead in his career if his last name wasn't Beamer. Similar to what several other coaches son's have done: Skip Holtz, Charlie Weis Jr, Lane Kiffin, Jeff Scott, Steve Spurrier Jr, Scottie Spurrier, Cade Bell, Tommy & Terry Bowden....Derek Dooley.

#224 BMF, Dec 6, 2020
      Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    • Homer J

Homer J Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,682
      Ratings:
      +2,315 / -191
      Shhhh, this is a good hire for Florida. That means SC has a crap coach and hopefully, VT will too...

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $20,451
      Ratings:
      +27,882 / -424
      It's a crap shoot either way.

Let's look at Brian Kelly (ND) and Butch Jones: Brian Kelly left Grand Valley State (D3 non-scholarship school) and took the Central Michigan job....won there and took the Cincinnati job. Butch Jones gets the Central Michigan job. Both coaches win at their new jobs. Kelly gets the ND job and Butch takes the Cincy job. Butch Jones wins at Cincy and gets the UT job....and is a colossal failure.

UGA's last two head coaches were former assistants who had never been a head coach: Mark Richt won 2 SEC titles at UGA and was never a head coach. Kirby Smart was never head coach.

Tenn: hired Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, and Pruitt - that's 2 coaches who were previously a head coach and two who were assistants = 4 failures (although Kiffin's tenure was too short to really gauge).

FSU: hired Jimbo Fisher, who had never been a head coach....wins a national championship. They then hire Willie Taggert, who was a 3x head coach at 3 D1 schools (WKU, USF, and Oregon) = massive failure.

Miami: hired two assistants in a row in Coker & Shannan = failure. Then they hire a proven G5 coach in Golden = failure. Then they hire Mark Richt = failure. Now they Manny Diaz, an assistant who was never a head coach.

I can do this exercise all day long. It's a complete crap shoot.

• t-gator

t-gator too sexy for my shirt

Oxbucks:
        $5,118
        Ratings:
        +11,413 / -613
        Not true. Dabo was the OC in 08. And both technically had HC experience before taking a p5 job. Dabo had interim experience. This was a reach and there's several good coordinators and hell even quality position coaches that are more deserving. Nothing on his resume is deserving of this job. Absolutely nothing. Just like Derek Dooley didn't deserve the Tennessee job.

• t-gator

Oxbucks:
        $5,118
        Ratings:
        +11,413 / -613
        It's not solid hire for South Carolina. This guy would taken damn near any hc job in America. As it would have been a step up from position coach. Thank God south Carolina is ran by retards. This is why they'll suck for the next 20 years

• t-gator

Oxbucks:
          $5,118
          Ratings:
          +11,413 / -613
          Amen. He's a middle of the road position coach that's never really even been apart of anything special

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $20,451
          Ratings:
          +27,882 / -424
          I just did a google search, and you're right: Dabo was the OC for, what 8 games? and played a part in his head coach getting fired...and he lands the job. Yeah, that's very common. That would have been like us giving Randy Shannon the job when Butters got fired because he led us the last few games. The last time that happened was when Fat Phil sabotaged Johnny Majors at UT. Dabo had nothing on his resume to land a big time P5 job like Clemson either.

Agree to disagree. It's a crap shoot and you never know who's going to pan out. Chances are he fails - it is South Carolina after all.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $63,118
          Ratings:
          +94,647 / -6,428
          It is also what they said about Bob Stoops, Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $13,547
            Ratings:
            +21,432 / -346
            ... with Grantham as the toad.

Delance = modern dance.

• 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Apex predator of the political forum biome
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $6,006
              Ratings:
              +8,487 / -95
              This is not a bad hire. It's kind of questionable when you could have got Freeze a bit removed from the stink of his last stop. I was kind of hoping Texas would take Freeze so he wasn't available for UT after next year. Clearly JP is about out of time.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $21,868
              Ratings:
              +33,070 / -286
              BMF's take is pretty much mine as well. It’s a decent hire for them that has upside. I knew very little of him, but his resume of being at least around solid teams should help him sell his vision. But it is going to be tough because he doesn't jump off the page as a "wow" hire, and his role in all these teams' successes will have to be sold well because it's equally easy to discount entirely. I'll say this, they obviously learned their lesson with 2015's disaster and weren't going to shop their options. They saw Beamer as the guy they wanted and pounced before all these other jobs opened up, so they weren't left holding the bag again and settling for a WM type fall back. And he's an offense guy, so they clearly see the direction things are headed within the SEC and are at least not falling into the ball-control trap again. But this guy's gonna have to have a long leash given the gamble they just took.

All that said, who lets their new HC go back to his current school to finish the year as a TE's coach on a team that at best can win their conference? Not a playoff run, and not a HC or Coordinator. A TE's coach. For a program in desperate need of a complete overhaul, that makes zero sense to me, especially with the early signing period. I have no idea why they would've agreed to that other than just the fact that they've humbled down and feel they have no hand in the matter. If so, that buyout should be pretty impressive the first sign of success he sees.

• oxrageous

oxrageous It's Good to be King
                Administrator

Oxbucks:
                $35,627
                Ratings:
                +56,014 / -2,081
                Yeah, to me this is the kind of hire a team like USC, who has no prayer of winning anything significant, should take a gamble on. They went for an experienced, fired retread like the Chimp and see where it got them.

Take a shot, you may have struck gold. If you didn't, no one GAF, because USC can't win the SEC anyway. The downside is that if he is a dynamo, he'll jump ship as soon as he can to a real school that actually has a chance to win something.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $21,868
                  Ratings:
                  +33,070 / -286
                  I think what makes scenario B even more of an issue though is that he'd probably take the VT job even right now if it was formally offered. So beyond just the usual success-equals-bolting risk, there's a school that has the obvious inside edge if they ever come calling. I think the whole, "this is my dream job, I'm home, hey thanks see you in a few weeks, heading back to Norman" thing says it all.

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix I use to be annoyed, now I'm just amused
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $10,878
                  Ratings:
                  +19,337 / -798
                  What is it about South Carolina? They always go for the discount version of a good coach. A washed up Lou Holtz, I past his prime Steve Spurrier, The "only positive thing you can say about him is that you recognize the name" Will Muschamp, and now "the relative of a coach you know", Shane Beamer.
                  It's like they shop for coaches in the discount bin at WalMart.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • List
                  • BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $20,451
                    Ratings:
                    +27,882 / -424
                    I haven't seen the details yet, but the SC board is reporting he got a $2.8 million/year, 5 year contract. That's another reason why they got him - he was cheap. Napier allegedly asked for $5 million/year. After the Muschamp $15mil buyout they're strapped.

• williston_gator

williston_gator Twitter junkie
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $5,094
                      Ratings:
                      +8,285 / -117
                    • Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $63,118
                      Ratings:
                      +94,647 / -6,428
                      Who were they.going to get other than Beamer?
                      It is USCe. No coach can win much there.

SOS took them to the SECG. That is as good as it gets.