The Chimp mercifully FIRED at South Carolina; to hire Shane Beamer as coach

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Nope. They were both non-coordinators when they became head coaches. Also, Beamer has more than paid his dues. Urban rose through the ranks pretty quickly - other than serving as a GA at Ohio State he only spent 5 years as a P5 assistant (at ND) before landing the head coaching job. So when he got to UF he had only coached at 1 P5 school (other than his GA stint). Dabo was the WR coach.
We're arguing the same point on urbs, but I didnt know Dabo was the climpson WR coach. Weird that he jumped right over both coordinators to take over.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
So no coordinator or assistant should ever land a head coaching job? You have to start somewhere. Some pan out, some don't. Other than not having a "coordinator" title, he checks a lot of the boxes. And as previously mentioned, SC made overtures towards at least 5 sitting head coaches. One wanted too much money, the others didn't work out for one reason or another. They hired a former assistant who did quite well while he was there and has done even better since he left. Solid hire....for South Carolina.
Ya, but, and it may be my own inherent bias here, the more successful ones seem to start HC at smaller programs. Granted I guess SC could be considered like Miss State and Mullen, but idk, I think SC is slightly more high profile. Regardless, time will certainly tell with this hire and given lack of any HC history I don't think you can say its a slam dunk hire.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If Beamer didn't have the last name he has, he never would have been interviewed.

If Beamer hadn't spent 4 years there as an assistant he never would have been interviewed. He probably wouldn't be this far ahead in his career if his last name wasn't Beamer. Similar to what several other coaches son's have done: Skip Holtz, Charlie Weis Jr, Lane Kiffin, Jeff Scott, Steve Spurrier Jr, Scottie Spurrier, Cade Bell, Tommy & Terry Bowden....Derek Dooley.

Last edited:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Beamer hadn't spent hadn't spent 4 years there as an assistant he never would have been interviewed. He probably wouldn't be this far ahead in his career if his last name wasn't Beamer. Similar to what several other coaches son's have done: Skip Holtz, Charlie Weis Jr, Lane Kiffin, Jeff Scott, Steve Spurrier Jr, Scottie Spurrier, Cade Bell, Tommy & Terry Bowden....
Shhhh, this is a good hire for Florida. That means SC has a crap coach and hopefully, VT will too...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ya, but, and it may be my own inherent bias here, the more successful ones seem to start HC at smaller programs. Granted I guess SC could be considered like Miss State and Mullen, but idk, I think SC is slightly more high profile. Regardless, time will certainly tell with this hire and given lack of any HC history I don't think you can say its a slam dunk hire.

It's a crap shoot either way.

Let's look at Brian Kelly (ND) and Butch Jones: Brian Kelly left Grand Valley State (D3 non-scholarship school) and took the Central Michigan job....won there and took the Cincinnati job. Butch Jones gets the Central Michigan job. Both coaches win at their new jobs. Kelly gets the ND job and Butch takes the Cincy job. Butch Jones wins at Cincy and gets the UT job....and is a colossal failure.

UGA's last two head coaches were former assistants who had never been a head coach: Mark Richt won 2 SEC titles at UGA and was never a head coach. Kirby Smart was never head coach.

Tenn: hired Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, and Pruitt - that's 2 coaches who were previously a head coach and two who were assistants = 4 failures (although Kiffin's tenure was too short to really gauge).

FSU: hired Jimbo Fisher, who had never been a head coach....wins a national championship. They then hire Willie Taggert, who was a 3x head coach at 3 D1 schools (WKU, USF, and Oregon) = massive failure.

Miami: hired two assistants in a row in Coker & Shannan = failure. Then they hire a proven G5 coach in Golden = failure. Then they hire Mark Richt = failure. Now they Manny Diaz, an assistant who was never a head coach.

I can do this exercise all day long. It's a complete crap shoot.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Urban Meyer & Dabo were never coordinators either.
Not true. Dabo was the OC in 08. And both technically had HC experience before taking a p5 job. Dabo had interim experience. This was a reach and there's several good coordinators and hell even quality position coaches that are more deserving. Nothing on his resume is deserving of this job. Absolutely nothing. Just like Derek Dooley didn't deserve the Tennessee job.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's not solid hire for South Carolina. This guy would taken damn near any hc job in America. As it would have been a step up from position coach. Thank God south Carolina is ran by retards. This is why they'll suck for the next 20 years

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Beamer didn't have the last name he has, he never would have been interviewed.
Amen. He's a middle of the road position coach that's never really even been apart of anything special

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not true. Dabo was the OC in 08. And both technically had HC experience before taking a p5 job. Dabo had interim experience. This was a reach and there's several good coordinators and hell even quality position coaches that are more deserving. Nothing on his resume is deserving of this job. Absolutely nothing. Just like Derek Dooley didn't deserve the Tennessee job.

I just did a google search, and you're right: Dabo was the OC for, what 8 games? and played a part in his head coach getting fired...and he lands the job. Yeah, that's very common. That would have been like us giving Randy Shannon the job when Butters got fired because he led us the last few games. The last time that happened was when Fat Phil sabotaged Johnny Majors at UT. Dabo had nothing on his resume to land a big time P5 job like Clemson either.

Agree to disagree. It's a crap shoot and you never know who's going to pan out. Chances are he fails - it is South Carolina after all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Isnt this exactly what they said about Muschamp back in the day. Long time coordinator, worked under all the great coaches, destined to be the next best thing.....
It is also what they said about Bob Stoops, Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
This is not a bad hire. It's kind of questionable when you could have got Freeze a bit removed from the stink of his last stop. I was kind of hoping Texas would take Freeze so he wasn't available for UT after next year. Clearly JP is about out of time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
BMF's take is pretty much mine as well. It’s a decent hire for them that has upside. I knew very little of him, but his resume of being at least around solid teams should help him sell his vision. But it is going to be tough because he doesn't jump off the page as a "wow" hire, and his role in all these teams' successes will have to be sold well because it's equally easy to discount entirely. I'll say this, they obviously learned their lesson with 2015's disaster and weren't going to shop their options. They saw Beamer as the guy they wanted and pounced before all these other jobs opened up, so they weren't left holding the bag again and settling for a WM type fall back. And he's an offense guy, so they clearly see the direction things are headed within the SEC and are at least not falling into the ball-control trap again. But this guy's gonna have to have a long leash given the gamble they just took.

All that said, who lets their new HC go back to his current school to finish the year as a TE's coach on a team that at best can win their conference? Not a playoff run, and not a HC or Coordinator. A TE's coach. For a program in desperate need of a complete overhaul, that makes zero sense to me, especially with the early signing period. I have no idea why they would've agreed to that other than just the fact that they've humbled down and feel they have no hand in the matter. If so, that buyout should be pretty impressive the first sign of success he sees.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, to me this is the kind of hire a team like USC, who has no prayer of winning anything significant, should take a gamble on. They went for an experienced, fired retread like the Chimp and see where it got them.

Take a shot, you may have struck gold. If you didn't, no one GAF, because USC can't win the SEC anyway. The downside is that if he is a dynamo, he'll jump ship as soon as he can to a real school that actually has a chance to win something.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, to me this is the kind of hire a team like USC, who has no prayer of winning anything significant, should take a gamble on. They went for an experienced, fired retread like the Chimp and see where it got them.

Take a shot, you may have struck gold. If you didn't, no one GAF, because USC can't win the SEC anyway. The downside is that if he is a dynamo, he'll jump ship as soon as he can to a real school that actually has a chance to win something.

I think what makes scenario B even more of an issue though is that he'd probably take the VT job even right now if it was formally offered. So beyond just the usual success-equals-bolting risk, there's a school that has the obvious inside edge if they ever come calling. I think the whole, "this is my dream job, I'm home, hey thanks see you in a few weeks, heading back to Norman" thing says it all.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What is it about South Carolina? They always go for the discount version of a good coach. A washed up Lou Holtz, I past his prime Steve Spurrier, The "only positive thing you can say about him is that you recognize the name" Will Muschamp, and now "the relative of a coach you know", Shane Beamer.
It's like they shop for coaches in the discount bin at WalMart.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I haven't seen the details yet, but the SC board is reporting he got a $2.8 million/year, 5 year contract. That's another reason why they got him - he was cheap. Napier allegedly asked for $5 million/year. After the Muschamp $15mil buyout they're strapped.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What is it about South Carolina? They always go for the discount version of a good coach. A washed up Lou Holtz, I past his prime Steve Spurrier, The "only positive thing you can say about him is that you recognize the name" Will Muschamp, and now "the relative of a coach you know", Shane Beamer.
It's like they shop for coaches in the discount bin at WalMart.
Who were they.going to get other than Beamer?
It is USCe. No coach can win much there.

SOS took them to the SECG. That is as good as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.