The dangers of being a Gator fan

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My getting stressed or pissed ended during Chump’s tenure. I pretty much laughed or slept through Butters’ reign.
I doubt I’ll ever take it too serious again.
It did me too. I mean back in the day I would get mad as hell when we would give up a TD but I would get back that good feeling because we used to score so often....Then came Chump and Butters and their never ending 3& out offenses....As a fan I could no longer get any of that feel good fan momentum going and when I did it would get ripped right out from under me in short order....finally I just quit trying to get geeked up during games...hell some games I didn't even waste good beer watching bad football....

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The 1997 FSU game gave him 4 heart attack victims.

Without alcohol, I would have been the fifth victim with how I was yelling and carrying on at the time, but I likely wouldn't have made it to the doc being in the nosebleeds of the south endzone. That's perhaps the closest any game has brought me to near death experiences.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I used to get very emotional over the games. A loss would have me all upset and wound up for hours, sometimes days depending on who it was and how badly the Gators performed. Chump and Butters helped me get over that. It was either get over it, or live in a constant state of depression. There isn't enough weed in the world to help me with that kind of depression, so I just learned to take it less personally.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Without alcohol, I would have been the fifth victim with how I was yelling and carrying on at the time, but I likely wouldn't have made it to the doc being in the nosebleeds of the south endzone. That's perhaps the closest any game has brought me to near death experiences.

Closest I came to near death was 1994 sitting at the top of Nay-land Stadium in a thunderstorm with 2 inches of water running down the steps and lightning popping all around. It was like choosing bunga or death, slip and break your neck or get electrocuted. My BIL and I just sat through the storm.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I still get pissed off during the game, but don't have the lingering depressed mood I used to get after a loss. Now I quickly settle on the fact that it's not very important in the big scheme of things so not worth letting it bother me more than a few minutes and a couple well chosen swears in the immediate aftermath.
The “loss hangover” has pretty much disappeared. I believe though if we start competing at a high level again for SEC dominance that may change.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Health problems? Not an issue and likely never will be.

Bad mood? Even when I try to maintain composure after a loss, my wife acts like I'm burning down the house.

IDK, but if you look forward to an event, then that event disappoints your hopings, well there's gonna be an extended bummer as opposed to if your anticipated event had wondrous results.

GatChat posters agonize-complain about a stupid playcall days after the game's over -- and we won the game anyway.(Gotta go. I got a nosebleed.)

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Yup it was 98 guess it was more than a few years ago. I should have realized it was before I had the stent put in my heart. I don't get chest pains much anymore......gotta admit my chest was pounding Saturday night though.

Same here. I was on a flight from Boston-Atlanta, watching via DirectTV and KNEW there was no way that I'd get to a doctor in time if something happened. I've had chest pounding before late in close games, but the Kentucky game, being in the air, was the first time I've contemplated what could happen due to the stress of watching a Gators game.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I was a student at UF and went to the 1969 Gator Bowl Game between Tennessee and Florida. There were rumors in the air before the game that Tennessee alum Ray Graves was going to step down as Florida's coach and Doug Dickey, Tennessee's coach was going to return to Gainesville to coach his alma mater. Of course both universities denied that anything was going on though both knew what was probably going to happen.

Tennessee was the SEC champion. Florida had just come off maybe its best season in the history of the program and featured the Super Sophs led by John Reaves, Carlos Alvarez, and Touchdown Tommy Durrance. I was at the game with my dad who attended UT and was a UT fan. although he liked the Gators a lot. I don't need to say that there was a lot of tension in that stadium that day.

Before the kickoff the stadium public address announcer came on and said "will a doctor report to gate 17" ( or whatever gate it was ). "Please, a doctor is needed at gate 17". About 10 minutes later the announcer came back on and with even more urgency in his voice stated "if there is a priest in the stadium will you please report to gate 17 immediately. Please report to gate 17 immediately." I guess the situation was out of the doctor's hands and he was turning the case over to the priest to administer the last rites.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After we lost to Georgia Southern I shot a man just to watch him die.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dropped my first f bomb in front of my mom in 1980 at the ripe age of 10 when Lindsay Scott crossed the goal line.

I didn't get punished.:lol:

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I dropped my first f bomb in front of my mom in 1980 at the ripe age of 10 when Lindsay Scott crossed the goal line.

I didn't get punished.:lol:
Totally unrelated but God you brought back memories. My Dad never cussed, not even a damn, with one exception. The only time I ever heard my Dad say a cuss word in his entire life was in 1962 during Hurricane Donna. My mom started screaming "There is water coming in under the front door" Dad answered "It is a F-ing hurricane what the F do you want me to do about it". Me and my brother didn't know whether to laugh or run hide.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Totally unrelated but God you brought back memories. My Dad never cussed, not even a damn, with one exception. The only time I ever heard my Dad say a cuss word in his entire life was in 1962 during Hurricane Donna. My mom started screaming "There is water coming in under the front door" Dad answered "It is a F-ing hurricane what the F do you want me to do about it". Me and my brother didn't know whether to laugh or run hide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.