The dangers of being a Gator fan

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you weren’t present for the Swindle in the Swamp, you really don’t know “pissed off.”

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
If you weren’t present for the Swindle in the Swamp, you really don’t know “pissed off.”
I was present. I was also present for 06 Auburn. Have to admit, the replays that kept being shown during the Swindle enraged everyone around me. Jordan Hare did not show any unflattering replays so I didn’t know we got screwed until I was walking by the tailgates afterwards. And even then, Swindle errors were so much worse - they weren’t even subjective misjudgments. Plain and simple wrong.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I was present. I was also present for 06 Auburn. Have to admit, the replays that kept being shown during the Swindle enraged everyone around me. Jordan Hare did not show any unflattering replays so I didn’t know we got screwed until I was walking by the tailgates afterwards. And even then, Swindle errors were so much worse - they weren’t even subjective misjudgments. Plain and simple wrong.

The swindle is still one of the only games that I have heard national radio talk about how they had never seen refs manipulate a game like that before. At least Auburn was only a couple compared to many.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The swindle is still one of the only games that I have heard national radio talk about how they had never seen refs manipulate a game like that before. At least Auburn was only a couple compared to many.
Auburn was just Mullen being too stupid to score an offensive touchdown with the most talent ever assembled (then) against a moron like Chimp.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
As bad as the swindle was, and it was the single worst screw job I've ever see, it was nothing compared to the pain of the 96 FSU game. We were 8-3 and going nowhere when the swindle occurred. The 96 FSU game was devastating. #1 Florida v. #2 FSU and Spurrier was too stubborn to go max protect against a ferocious FSU front 7 and let Danny our WR's expose their young secondary. Don't think I've ever been more pissed off after a game. Of course, all that agony led to the greatest day in Gator history just a few weeks later, but that was a dark, dark Saturday night.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
After we lost to Georgia Southern I shot a man just to watch him die.
I believe this was when we hit rock bottom and I realized how spoiled we were. That was a long 4hr drive home. Expectations have been tempered ever since. Passion is still high. Now lets put fifty up today! Go Gators!!!!!!!!

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I felt like I aged 4 years by the end of that Miami game. The last 8 minutes was absolutely maddening.

I still get pissed off during the game, but don't have the lingering depressed mood I used to get after a loss. Now I quickly settle on the fact that it's not very important in the big scheme of things so not worth letting it bother me more than a few minutes and a couple well chosen swears in the immediate aftermath.

So many that I wanted to quote, but I'll stick with three and add my two cents on some others as well.

Warning: This post might be a bit long.

The last five minutes of the Miami game aged me around five years. It was each team trying their darndest to lose and it was maddening.

While I still may get crazy during games, there is rarely any hangover anymore. Heartbreak, depression, death and just the crap that comes along with getting older have changed my priorities. Gator football is not life the way it used to be. Of course, Midline and Mac The Shark helped me to develop my apathy for Florida football.

As someone else said, if we actually become competitive and fun, that could change a bit. But it will still never matter to me the way it used to.

That said, there was a time when I swear I could run through a brick wall leading up to a big Gator game and living off the high after a big win. On that note, lemme share my story about the FSU game in '97, still the greatest regular season game I have ever seen:

I was really sick. Some ridiculous chest cold, coughing, sneezing, blah blah, the works. I barely had the energy to stand, but there was no way in hell I was missing this game.

I was watching it in my dorm room and that game gave me such strength and made me so weak at the same time throughout. When Doug hit Quez with the Hitch and Go, I swear to God, I almost passed out and fell back on my coffee table, nearly smashing my head through it. Then when Fred ran in the game winning TD, and we won, I was on such a high, I had forgotten how sick I was ... until about an hour later when I was done in and had to sleep the rest of the day because I had used up all of my energy watching the greatest game (not for a title) ever played.

And lastly, the Swindle In The Swamp: My brother was writing for Gator Bait at the time. So besides being so pissed in general, I felt even more angry on his behalf. It didn't help that I was alone, but surrounded by a bunch of a-hole noles who spilled their drink on me. Probably the worst live game I've ever attended.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, TURN AROUND, GUSS!!!

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My getting stressed or pissed ended during Chump’s tenure. I pretty much laughed or slept through Butters’ reign.
I doubt I’ll ever take it too serious again.

This is what happened to me.

GatormanTX

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2015
I believe this was when we hit rock bottom and I realized how spoiled we were. That was a long 4hr drive home. Expectations have been tempered ever since. Passion is still high. Now lets put fifty up today! Go Gators!!!!!!!!
For a moment, we were Tennersee

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Speaking of Georgia Southern if I had a gun with two bullets in a room with Chump and Hitler I'd shoot Chump twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.