Gator Baseball The dawn of a bold new UF error

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Look, all this speaks to me is that UF doesn't list football as its priority anymore.
And this has been going on for a LONG time.
Sure, invest in the facilities that support and attract scholarships for athletes that contribute to the objective--that UF is a school dedicated to scientific research, and there are whole lot of prospects out there that can contribute to the cause and they play sports--just not football.
You can't have it both ways; not everyone has the money or IQ to get into UF.
But there are are many more prospects that possess the ambition and grades that also play baseball, volleyball, lacrosse, etc, which none of us fans really care about.
Of course we support our Gators and want them to win--we might even be a fan of a certain sport. But football has always been the main attraction and neglecting that is foolish on many levels.
I'm all about UF advancing in medical science and research, but I think it would be foolish to sacrifice football in the process.
I understand that the academic requirements at UF hold very high standards, but educating young men and preparing them for society should not be compromised either.
I grew up loving UF and football, I could play the sport with the idea that an education really means something.
Of course I'm a UF homer but if I had a choice and knew that I could achieve my goals in football and education, UF would be an easy choice for me.
And I'm sure there are many others out there faced with the same kind of decision.
However, what we have witnessed is that the athletic administration has given up on football and chose to invest their money elsewhere. It's a damn shame and it's going to bite them in the ass.
Just my opinion.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We just lost a day’s worth of posts and threads.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What pisses me off the most is that the baseball team couldn't play off campus while their stadium was built. Even pro teams have played in alternate stadiums during construction. Primadonna attitude for off-off broadway contribution to the bottom line. F'ck 'em.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What pisses me off the most is that the baseball team couldn't play off campus while their stadium was built. Even pro teams have played in alternate stadiums during construction. Primadonna attitude for off-off broadway contribution to the bottom line. F'ck 'em.

On the bright side, we can act like the loss to Ole Miss never happened.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Forget attendance numbers. These are the ones that count -

football - $48 million in profit
Baseball - losing money

Our geniuses made the $48 million golden goose starve to not insult the welfare, trust fund child.

Worse, this occurred at a time when football revenue went up anyway due to TV revenue. So, the AD’s office. Any point to the football bottom line improving even though the product is not at a championship level (or particularly well positioned to be in a championship anytime soon).

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
It's just total bull**** and mishandling of funds no matter how you look at it.
Mike White has no business coaching at UF. Why is he not sent packing?
Zook, Chimp, and Butters had no business coaching here either.
It's obvious that the athletic administration and everyone involved really fvvked up.
It started with Fooley and trickled down.
Stricklin sucks too. I'm all for cleaning house.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
It's just total bull**** and mishandling of funds no matter how you look at it.
Mike White has no business coaching at UF. Why is he not sent packing?
Zook, Chimp, and Butters had no business coaching here either.
It's obvious that the athletic administration and everyone involved really fvvked up.
It started with Fooley and trickled down.
Stricklin sucks too. I'm all for cleaning house.
A little dramatic. You arent going to find an AD who is going to crap on every other sport in favor of football.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm all about UF advancing in medical science and research, but I think it would be foolish to sacrifice football in the process.

Just my opinion.

I agree with what you said with the exception of this. I would gladly give up football permanently if it meant a cure for cancer was developed at UF.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
A little dramatic. You arent going to find an AD who is going to crap on every other sport in favor of football.
I've never heard anyone suggest we should crap on every other sport in favor of football. However, a pretty strong case can be made that we've done the exact opposite. Over the past 5 years or so, we've spent $150M on basketball, baseball and softball and $17M on football. All while football brings in $48M a year in profits. If the football program had what it needed to compete with other top programs, you wouldn't hear any complaints about our recent investments in other programs. Sadly, that's not the case. The football program is starving and instead of feeding it, we're letting all the other programs gorge on what football produces.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
On the bright side, we can act like the loss to Ole Miss never happened.

Summary of what was deleted:

Mullen can’t recruit. His refusal to upgrade his staff is nearly as maddening as waiting future construction of the new football facilities.

Trump is en fuego with the SOTU, acquittal and his inability to let the wins just roll. Must. Lash. Out. Liberal heads exploding with indignant impotence.

Gator hoops can’t shoot but when they do hit they are surprisingly good. Other sports are doing well but their successes are bitter reminders that we aren’t back in football - yet.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
I've never heard anyone suggest we should crap on every other sport in favor of football. However, a pretty strong case can be made that we've done the exact opposite. Over the past 5 years or so, we've spent $150M on basketball, baseball and softball and $17M on football. All while football brings in $48M a year in profits. If the football program had what it needed to compete with other top programs, you wouldn't hear any complaints about our recent investments in other programs. Sadly, that's not the case. The football program is starving and instead of feeding it, we're letting all the other programs gorge on what football produces.
Telling the baseball team to play at santa fe is crapping on them. I'm not the expert on timelines, so feel free to correct me, but seems like a lot has improved in regards to football since stricklin took over. This article might be old but seems that more football upgrades are coming- UF plans athletic dorm as part of $2.2 billion campus overhaul

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Summary of what was deleted:

Mullen can’t recruit. His refusal to upgrade his staff is nearly as maddening as waiting future construction of the new football facilities.

Trump is en fuego with the SOTU, acquittal and his inability to let the wins just roll. Must. Lash. Out. Liberal heads exploding with indignant impotence.

Gator hoops can’t shoot but when they do hit they are surprisingly good. Other sports are doing well but their successes are bitter reminders that we aren’t back in football - yet.

Hey, you forgot the most relevant one.

“What the heck happened?” :dunno:

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I agree with what you said with the exception of this. I would gladly give up football permanently if it meant a cure for cancer was developed at UF.
I agree, but my point is that it's not necessary to neglect football in an effort to advance in medical science.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
While I share some annoyance at how this whole thing has been handled, it’s out of my control so I’m not wasting energy... On the pumper side, I’m thrilled somebody figured out how to make room for the football facility to be within reasonable distance of the stadium and directly adjacent to the IPF. The abomination mac was gonna squeeze in between the practice field and T&F would’ve been a giant dud.

My biggest gripe is how the uaa drug their feet, but hopefully the final product will help with recruiting. The coaches need all the help they can get.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I went to a UF/FSU game in 94 or 95, drank half a bottle of SoCo and after the game stood above home plate while Mike Martin Jr. (he was the catcher at the time) was packing up his gear and started screaming "Daddy's boy!! Daddy's boy!! I'm only on the team because of my DADDY!!!" Next thing I know, I'm surrounded by about a dozen FSU fans talking sh*t. My buddies all surrounded them and we talked sh*t to each other until security showed up. Good times! (true story!

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator