The Death of Football

Contact Football is extinct in 20 years?

• Yes

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Is this the beginning of the end? Participation down. Youth programs being dropped. Only one insurer remains. Does football as we know it exist in 20 years? Discuss.

Redirect Notice

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Is this the beginning of the end? Participation down. Youth programs being dropped. Only one insurer remains. Does football as we know it exist in 20 years? Discuss.

Redirect Notice

I’ve been saying for awhile that football would gone in my lifetime; god willing that will be in 40 years or so.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I’ve been saying for awhile that football would gone in my lifetime; god willing that will be in 40 years or so.
I tend to agree. Been involved with our Pop Warner program since 2005 and the numbers are way off. At the height (2010) we had 13 fully rostered teams playing in a conference with 19 cities. Last year we had 6 teams with skeleton rosters and the conference is down to 11 cities. The good news is our jr pee wees won the Super Bowl against a team from Arizona. Video games, lacrosse and CTE is killing the youth leagues.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
By far the most violent game in the country. NFL forced to put up millions and millions
for football related injuries. Many youth leagues falling by the wayside. Every year the NCAA
changes some rule in an attempt to make the game less violent. I can tell you that I never wanted
my son playing the game. I doubt that the game will disappear, but it will be changed in so many ways
that you may not even recognize it',

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not in 20 years, but absolutely. The game as we know it has numbered days.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I suppose in the near term the game will change just because the talent pool is going to get thin. Less youngsters playing means less talent in the upper levels over the next ten years or so. I can see many smaller colleges dropping programs for lack of numbers.

Plus what about the fan side of this. Most males that played early in life are lifelong fans. They need to be replaced too.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
More and more evidence comes out showing that cte type damage starts when players are young. I wouldn't let my kids play, that's for sure. It's one thing to punish your body, it's quite another to lose your mind.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You don't hear much about fat ass 340 plus lb lineman and their health after retirement. That'll raise its ugly head before long. I wince when I hear the bragging about the "nutrition" programs that all the colleges have designed to make a reasonably healthy guy fat enough to play on the line. Football has almost risen to the point that it is the sport of modern day gladiators. I love the game. I don't love what it does to the players. I guess I'm like the Romans who loved their gladiators, but didn't much care that they were dragged out of the coliseum dead.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ee85865f3b6fa66c206305aeed5d477e--funny-soccer-pictures-soccer-memes.jpg

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You don't hear much about fat ass 340 plus lb lineman and their health after retirement. That'll raise its ugly head before long. I wince when I hear the bragging about the "nutrition" programs that all the colleges have designed to make a reasonably healthy guy fat enough to play on the line. Football has almost risen to the point that it is the sport of modern day gladiators. I love the game. I don't love what it does to the players. I guess I'm like the Romans who loved their gladiators, but didn't much care that they were dragged out of the coliseum dead.

I saw this recently The N.F.L.’s Obesity Scourge

You might need to use your private surfing method to see it.

I think that football is on its way out, unless some tech helps with the brain issues, but not 20 years.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I saw this recently The N.F.L.’s Obesity Scourge

You might need to use your private surfing method to see it.

I think that football is on its way out, unless some tech helps with the brain issues, but not 20 years.

I read it. Here's a small snippet from the article:

"the average weight of offensive linemen ballooned 27 percent, 249 pounds in the 1970s to 315 in the 2000s"
I lived in Murpree hall in 1965. Every day I saw our linemen walk by. They were tough in shape and the furthest thing from fat. That was what was called football shape back then. I wish the game had not changed. I knew two guys who were fat and didn't lose the fat. They were off the team after their first year.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I read it. Here's a small snippet from the article:

"the average weight of offensive linemen ballooned 27 percent, 249 pounds in the 1970s to 315 in the 2000s"
I lived in Murpree hall in 1965. Every day I saw our linemen walk by. They were tough in shape and the furthest thing from fat. That was what was called football shape back then. I wish the game had not changed. I knew two guys who were fat and didn't lose the fat. They were off the team after their first year.
I read an article awhile back that said the average lifespan of an NFL lineman with 5+ yrs playing was like 64 1/2yrs. I will look for it and post.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
More and more evidence comes out showing that cte type damage starts when players are young. I wouldn't let my kids play, that's for sure. It's one thing to punish your body, it's quite another to lose your mind.
Not sure how that could possibly be proven, since you can't even diagnose CTE until you examine the brain after death.

Most of these guys have said they accept the long-term health risks in exchange for playing football. That's how much they love playing the game.

And that should be the long and short of it. Make players aware of the risks, and they can choose to play the game or not. No one is making anyone play football. Instead, the ninnies of society have to step in and protect people from themselves. Let people make their own decisions on whether or not to play and stay the hell out of it and quit changing the game to make it "safe".

Football isn't safe. That's why it's been popular for over 100 years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads