The Experts have spoken.........

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I don't often shout at the radio these days, the maturity of age and all that, but listening to Mike & Mike this morning brought back old habits. Their discussion of the college football playoff was enough to send even a mostly rational Gator fan over the edge.

In talking about the "what ifs" with Rece Davis and Herby they made it clear that UF has no chance to make the playoff even if they beat FSU and Alabama. The offense is so bad and the team is so one sided that those wins and the overall record wouldn't be enough. They gave Coach Mac lots of credit for winning 10 games and overcoming the offensive shortcomings but this team just isn't good enough even at 12-1.

The discussion turned absurd when began to paint the scenario where a 2-loss Michigan team could get in by beating OSU and Iowa. They also discussed the slim chance North Carolina might have by upsetting #1 Clemson, despite their pitiful schedule and ugly loss to SC.

I understand this Gator team has been painful to watch of late but it seems that if they beat FSU and then the #2 team in the country, making them conference champs, they should be in. If not, then it really is more a beauty pageant than looking at actual records and resumes. Herm Edwards famous comment would ring hollow.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't often shout at the radio these days, the maturity of age and all that, but listening to Mike & Mike this morning brought back old habits. Their discussion of the college football playoff was enough to send even a mostly rational Gator fan over the edge.

In talking about the "what ifs" with Rece Davis and Herby they made it clear that UF has no chance to make the playoff even if they beat FSU and Alabama. The offense is so bad and the team is so one sided that those wins and the overall record wouldn't be enough. They gave Coach Mac lots of credit for winning 10 games and overcoming the offensive shortcomings but this team just isn't good enough even at 12-1.

The discussion turned absurd when began to paint the scenario where a 2-loss Michigan team could get in by beating OSU and Iowa. They also discussed the slim chance North Carolina might have by upsetting #1 Clemson, despite their pitiful schedule and ugly loss to SC.

I understand this Gator team has been painful to watch of late but it seems that if they beat FSU and then the #2 team in the country, making them conference champs, they should be in. If not, then it really is more a beauty pageant than looking at actual records and resumes. Herm Edwards famous comment would ring hollow.

If we were to beat FSU and Bama were in. Don't listen to those stupid talking heads. Nobody would have a better resume in the country than us.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I feel your pain, but with our offense and kicking team, I don't see a top 4 team. Even if we win out, I counted 5, 1-loss teams ahead of us. I don't buy the North Carolina crap, but man this offense is tough to watch even with my extra thick O&B glasses. LOL

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We will be in if we win those two games. However, if Ole Miss claims the west and we beat Ole Miss, we may not.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Neither one of those two doosh canoes are experts on anything but being doosh canoes.

We beat a ranked FSU team that those same "experts" are expecting us to lose, and then win our conference championship game over Alabama, who is the best team in the history of any level of football to hear everyone talk, we'll be in, and it won't matter what the scores of those two games are.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Worst case scenario for us is if Ole Miss wins and Alabama loses and Ole Miss represents the west.

Bama representing the west is not a shoe in. Auburn has defeated talented Bama teams in the last couple years.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Worst case scenario for us is if Ole Miss wins and Alabama loses and Ole Miss represents the west.

Bama representing the west is not a shoe in. Auburn has defeated talented Bama teams in the last couple years.

Even if we face Ole Miss, we will still make it in if we win these next two games.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The best team UNC played this year they lost to. To even consider them above UF is a joke. A 2 loss Michigan team wouldn't have the number of quality wins we do. Baylor, even with a win against TCU doesn't have the number of quality wins. It seems it is more about how you win than who you actually beat.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF's unwatchable offense will make the selection committee activists at
not wanting us in the playoffs, no matter if we squeeze out wins against
FSU and Alabama. The yardstick is TV eye-candy and we have none of that.
There's nothing to see here.

Let's enjoy rooting for us: first to beat FSU and then cross-fingers that our D
thwarts Bama with created TOs and D TDs. Go Gators, shine bright.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get how a team with a great defense and struggling offense is any different than a team with a great offense and a struggling defense. Would you rather score 50 points and lose or score 10 points and win?

Baylor has played an easier schedule than we have, yet they've held their opponents under 20 points just twice this year. Oklahoma St. has given up almost 27 ppg this year. Ohio St. has played one ranked team and lost to them all year, and has looked just as bad as us doing it.

I'm not saying we've looked that great, but there are plenty of other teams who have had either the same struggles as us or played far easier schedules that are above us.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get how a team with a great defense and struggling offense is any different than a team with a great offense and a struggling defense. Would you rather score 50 points and lose or score 10 points and win?

Baylor has played an easier schedule than we have, yet they've held their opponents under 20 points just twice this year. Oklahoma St. has given up almost 27 ppg this year. Ohio St. has played one ranked team and lost to them all year, and has looked just as bad as us doing it.

I'm not saying we've looked that great, but there are plenty of other teams who have had either the same struggles as us or played far easier schedules that are above us.

There is no difference, the only thing is people like teams that have good offenses and bad defenses better than teams with not so great offenses and great defenses due to the eye candy that is provided and entertainment. People tend to hate constant punting and like constant touchdowns. I'll take a team that wins with defense over a team that loses with great offense any day though.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You seem to forget that Bammer has a secret weapon this year: Barn's defensive coordinator...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All of this is a moot point if our offense does not get better. If we are not markedly better on that side of the ball we will not beat FSUx or Bama.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Usually teams that are great defensively and struggle offensively have a solid kicking game.

Honestly, our MVP maybe Johnny Townsend. Our defense holds our opponents out of the end zone and Johnny keeps pushing the opposition back so that we are close enough for a scoring opportunity.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
These guys are as much experts as clutchlikemj... espn has turned into an entertainment first company. They are all just talking heads.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I would argue that teams that win on average 38 - 35 have great offenses, but their defenses are not up to playoff standards and are painful to watch. It is a fact of life that teams which win with defense don't get much loving because it is hard to generate style points in low scoring games.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What amazes me about Shane is that he lasted as long as he did in the NFL. He may of had the longest career of any UF quarterback, I'm not sure. I met him when he was with the Bills. I am 6'3 and he was a tad taller than me. But he seriously could've not been more than 185 pounds.I am amazed that his body was able to stand up in the league.

Wrong thread J. :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The argument is invalid because if we beat fsu and bama, it wont be with more fau offensive performances. It will be because we played well on both sides of the ball, and that will be enough to be in. I mean lets be real here, weve only faced 1 decent team since treon took over, and we lost to them. The 4 wins we eeked out with him were against disasters. If we win against the next 2 teams who are decent ones, it wont be without playing well on offense.

All that being said, we aren't going to b/c we are abismal on offense right now and thats not going to change in a week. We can beat fsu because its a home game, a rivalry game, and they are decent but not real good. However, we dont beat bama playing the way weve been playing, anything less than a complete team performance would end up the same as last season when we played them.

Why we are even worried about the playoff when there are more than 4 teams better than we are right now is silly to me. If we play the way we have been playing to this point, we aren't one of the best 4 teams. And if we end up 12-1 and SEC champs, its because we played infinitely better and at that point are one of the best 4. Either way, we will be playing in a bowl we are deserving of, lets just stop with all the sky-is-falling garbage that we go 12-1 and get shafted. That crap is what noles do, and for good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.