The Fightin Kerwins play for championship today

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't agree on a budget for the team. That's my memory. Kerwin as a big time head coach has one big disadvantage. He mangles English. He's far worse than the usual suspects we are all familiar with. Doesn't help with higher profile teams.
Ever listened to the guy at LSU?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ever listened to the guy at LSU?
Damned near didn't get the job for that reason. The English isn't that bad, you just can't understand words that come out sounding like the back end of a tractor in need of a tuneup.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I also find it ironic that a Kerwin led team defeated FSU for a National Championship. Nice. I doubt it escaped him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
1) IMO, we may have watched Valdosta get hit with their "oughta-lose-it" game, yet they won it, still.??
2) Kerwin's oldest child graduated from JU as their 4-year star QB. That's one factor that set him on his coach hunt. Empty nest syndrome arrived. Kerwin could, for the 1st time, unfurl his coach-carousel wings without jerking his kids' stability around. So, he flew the coup to VSU -- probly for the improvement of scholarship offers & $ to work with.
3) Plus, notice that he is setting his son on a CFB coaching career. Folks overlook what a dedicated father KB is.
4) The financial loggerhead at JU was Kerwin pushing, threatening over JU avoiding going bigger-time dollars $ into football. It all was an aboveboard unfolding, clash.
5) Kerwin stayed solidly in that JU dead-end job as a humble, family man.
6) Probly had to be quite a CFB CEO there, with zero administration help.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
1) IMO, we may have watched Valdosta get hit with their "oughta-lose-it" game, yet they won it, still.??
2) Kerwin's oldest child graduated from JU as their 4-year star QB. That's one factor that set him on his coach hunt. Empty nest syndrome arrived. Kerwin could, for the 1st time, unfurl his coach-carousel wings without jerking his kids' stability around. So, he flew the coup to VSU -- probly for the improvement of scholarship offers & $ to work with.
3) Plus, notice that he is setting his son on a CFB coaching career. Folks overlook what a dedicated father KB is.
4) The financial loggerhead at JU was Kerwin pushing, threatening over JU avoiding going bigger-time dollars $ into football. It all was an aboveboard unfolding, clash.
5) Kerwin stayed solidly in that JU dead-end job as a humble, family man.
6) Probly had to be quite a CFB CEO there, with zero administration help.

JU football while Kerwin was there was designed to attract paying students who wanted to play football, a recipe for failure. The school didn't shell out. The players did. Kerwin succeeded anyhow. You're right. He got tired of dragging a mule up a hill. Imagine how tired he'd have been if he'd been dragging Donkey.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
JU football while Kerwin was there was designed to attract paying students who wanted to play football, a recipe for failure. The school didn't shell out. The players did. Kerwin succeeded anyhow. You're right. He got tired of dragging a mule up a hill. Imagine how tired he'd have been if he'd been dragging Donkey.

I heard they also wanted a cheaper option, he is much better off now, and might move up some more soon.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There was a Kerwin thread last week after he won the semifinal game where a lot of this was discussed.

Kerwin spoke at the Gator Club I was a member of and he was awesome to listen to. I can't imagine an AD would sit across from him thinking "I can't hire this guy". He's well ready for a D1 job (probably wouldn't get a P5 job, as it's pretty rare to see a guy go from the lower ranks like that to a P5 - the coach at NDSU just took K-State which is one of the rare times you'll see a 1AA go to a P5, it happens w/ 1AA to G5 but rarely P5).

I half-joked during our coaching search that we should have hired Bell, offering him a bigtime incentive laden contract w/ a base salary of $500K w/ realistic incentives to get to 2 or 3 million....because it could not have possibly been any worse than Muschamp or Butters!

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016
I'm very happy for Kerwin. It may be Div-II, but your competition has the same relative talent. They beat the best teams at their level of play. Four undefeated teams were in the semi-finals. Valdosta State handed Western Georgia their only regular season loss. They lead the country in scoring offense. They tied and set a few records in the championship game against a good team.

I've always followed Kerwin's career and have always been solidly on the bandwagon rooting for him to have success as a coach. I'm distantly related to him and when he became starting QB at Florida, that was a huge deal in our family. That's what got me interested if football as a kid and solidified me as a life long Gator fan. But what convinced me of his legit coaching prowess was the first time I saw him coach in a televised game.

That was the 2012 Battle of Florida all star game. Bobby Bowden was the head coach of the North team with Kerwin as his OC, and Howard Schnellenberger was the head coach of the South team. The north won 51-3. Most of that was in the first half before they called off the dogs. Their offense in that game looked so much better schematically than what we were running at Florida at the time. In that game it looked like Kerwin was doing all of the coaching. He was even coaching up the defense even though someone else was technically the DC. There is an article that came out last year where they interviewed Bowden about his relationship with Kerwin and they talked about that game. “I was the head coach, but I didn’t do nothin’,” Bowden said. “I just turned it over to him. He ripped them.”

I always felt like I might have been a little biased in wanting Kerwin to be hired at UF whenever we've had an OC or HBC position open since the Meyer era, but damn we've had some sorry assed offensive coaching until now. He couldn't ever have been worse. If Muschamp had hired him as OC, damn. Who knows. And now I'm worried about missing out.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some of the same people who made excuses for Butters and the teams performance, bashing Kerwin for having less than 10% of the same talent for the same kind of stuff.... it's classic.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some of the same people who made excuses for Butters and the teams performance, bashing Kerwin for having less than 10% of the same talent for the same kind of stuff.... it's classic.

It will be interesting to see if Kerwin leaves.

Taking a look at the previous coaches, the guy Kerwin replaced (David Dean) won two NC's and left to be the OC at Georgia Southern (then got fired after 1 year). He's the head coach at D2 West Georgia now (2 years in, went 10-2 this year losing to VSU). I bet he wishes he had stayed at VSU (vs. taking the OC job at GSU).

Hal Mumme went straight from VSU to Kentucky (as head coach). I did not realize that.

Chris Hatcher is VSU's Steve Spurrier. He left to be head coach at Georgia Southern and got fired. He's since had moderate success at Murray State, and is now the head coach at Samford (and took FSU to the wire earlier this year). But has never seen the success he had at VSU.

I'd love to see Kerwin get a D1 job. I think he'd do very well. I'm sure he'd find a good DC and would have 85 scholarships. It seems though that he could easily get an FCS/1AA job.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I just want to make sure I’m clear here. So Power 5 Usce has a multimillion head man, whose only head coaching experience is taking a once proud, Top5 job and driving it straight into the ground. Fellow Power 5 fsu has a multimillion head coach with a career losing record, who thought it wise to implement a turnover backpack mid season en route to a 5-7 finish. And CMU was chomping at the bit to land a guy who has sex with sharks and accused his last school of threatening to kill him.

But the general concenus is that Bell isn’t quite ready for an FCS level job?

Am I hearing this right?
Not from me.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Taking a look at the previous coaches, the guy Kerwin replaced (David Dean) won two NC's and left to be the OC at Georgia Southern (then got fired after 1 year). He's the head coach at D2 West Georgia now (2 years in, went 10-2 this year losing to VSU). I bet he wishes he had stayed at VSU (vs. taking the OC job at GSU).

Hal Mumme went straight from VSU to Kentucky (as head coach). I did not realize that.

Chris Hatcher is VSU's Steve Spurrier. He left to be head coach at Georgia Southern and got fired. He's since had moderate success at Murray State, and is now the head coach at Samford (and took FSU to the wire earlier this year). But has never seen the success he had at VSU.

I'd love to see Kerwin get a D1 job. I think he'd do very well. I'm sure he'd find a good DC and would have 85 scholarships. It seems though that he could easily get an FCS/1AA job.

Kerwin knows football, talks at times like he is in Mayo about to play Trenton. But he was a player coach in the CFL, was a GA under Spurrier, did well at the High School level, then at the pioneer league and D2. The question is does a good offer come before Father Time catches up to him.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Biological rarity, a donkey heavier than a mule.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Kerwin knows football, talks at times like he is in Mayo about to play Trenton. But he was a player coach in the CFL, was a GA under Spurrier, did well at the High School level, then at the pioneer league and D2. The question is does a good offer come before Father Time catches up to him.

I agree about Father Time. His clock is ticking. But....that fat piece of sh*t Butters is older than he is and just landed ANOTHER D1 job.....

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016

Also, these current head coaches all coached as assistants and coordinators at VSU:

Kirby Smart - VSU DC in 2001, GA at FSU 2002-2003, then DBs at LSU under Satan 2004
Will Muschamp - VSU DC in 2000, then LB 2001 at LSU under Satan, and then LSU DC 2002-2004
Mike Leach - VSU OC 1992-1996, then OC at Kentucky and Oklahoma before HC at Texas Tech in 2000
Dana Holgorsen - VSU QB/WR/ST 1993-1995, eventually HC at West Virginia in 2011

Others:
Guy Morris - VSU OL 1992-1993, OL Arizona Cardinals 1994, eventually HC at Kentucky in 2001, then Baylor in 2003
Mike Cavan - VSU HC 1986-1991, HC at East Tennesee State 1992 and SMU 1997

That doesn't really mean much, but there is definitely evidence that there a career path from VSU as opposed to some jobs that are career death traps.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think all those Mulletheaded Mummeites were at VSU.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah....see the post above yours. That's where he perfected his "Air Raid" Offense. Some of those coaches had a lot of success (some still are).
Jumped in above me. Yup, I thought so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.