The "FIRE" movement

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Before I went active duty military I was a full-time professional firefighter. I worked every second of overtime I could get, I was in the reserves (which was 2 days/month, 2 weeks/year), and I worked at a private ambulance company as a paramedic (I worked practically every weekday I wasn't at the fire station). I was only making $50K or so base salary on the FD, but I made almost double that from OT and the two part-time jobs. I never feel sorry for anyone who says they can't make it in this country. There are so many opportunities - if a person would simply get off their ass. It's not hard to get ahead (and live within your means, obviously - but that's a different discussion).
correct... i find it interesting to note which people here try to nitpick a detail (incorrectly) of a story. It's usually to make an excuse for their own (in)actions. ;)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I never feel sorry for anyone who says they can't make it in this country. There are so many opportunities - if a person would simply get off their ass. It's not hard to get ahead
Some people would rather stand around and complain about why other people are getting ahead....Most these days blame it on lack of education but in reality it is nothing more than lack of motivation.
There are so many opportunities for a young person willing to work that it is insane...educated or not. When I began full time work right out of HS I always had a second job which helped me buy my first house at 25 WITHOUT any help from my parents. Not bad for a C average HS grad with no college.

I also worked off the clock at the Restaurant where I was employed full time. I learned valuable skills from some of the Chefs that I didn't get to work directly with during my PM shift. I picked up skills that most "formally educated" Chefs never get at Culinary schools such as ice carving(probably not the best idea working with a chainsaw off the clock:lol:) making saltdough sculptures, building displays for banquets, and even began taking over some of the purchasing for the Executive Chef. It gave me a huge advantage when the time to move on came.

Sadly I don't see many of the under 30 generation being motivated enough to put down their phones or game controllers to even get a part time job while in school....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.