The Florida football program’s lost decade

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you could go back in time and point to any one thing in specific that triggered the fall from grace, what might that be?

I’m not interested in hearing how they all conspired together, although they did. Rather, which singular event was most responsible?

I’ll aid with your recollection:

1) Meyer’s laissez-faire management of star players and disciplinary issues?

2) The loss of Mullen and Strong as assistants after the third title? (Oh, will Law go off on this one. :lol:)

3) The lackluster loss to Alabama in the 2009 SEC Championship?

4) Meyer’s sudden retirement after that game?

5) Alabama’s rise to power?

6) The hiring of Will Muschamp?

(You’ll note I left out the hiring of Mac and Fuchs as well as Foley’s now famous arms race comment in 2014. They certainly didn’t help but the fall was already underway.)

Who, what, where, when. And why?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cam's laptop thrown out the window was the beginning. We didn't know it at the time but that was the single moment that did it.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Ah someone asking the exact question that I've answered already by having it in my profile signature for years.

Urban cheating on his wife with a uf co-ed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If you could go back in time and point to any one thing in specific that triggered the fall from grace, what might that be?

I’m not interested in hearing how they all conspired together, although they did. Rather, which singular event was most responsible?

2) The loss of Mullen and Strong as assistants after the third title? (Oh, will Law go off on this one. :lol:)

(You’ll note I left out the hiring of Mac and Fuchs as well as Foley’s now famous arms race comment in 2014. They certainly didn’t help but the fall was already underway.)

Your 1 and 2 are a basically the crux of it, unless you go back to neteng's 1976 suggestion. Your 3-6 aren't the disease itself, but symptoms exhibited because of 1 and 2.

There are all kinds of granular, secondary issues like the Culpepper over Brees decision, Rich Rod giving the state of Alabama the :ugh: routine, Brantley getting cold feet about going to Austin, etc. But that's where it begins and ends.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lost Decades.

The end isnt anywhere near.

As long as we keep hiring mediocre shytbags, ie Mullinz being Tinerc's 17th choice, we will continue down this path.

The #1 cause is Fooley, bc Fooley is responsible for the lack of facilities, lack of support staff, lack of competent cosching, and the HCs hires.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The hiring of Muschamp was by far the worse decision of the decade and led to everything else.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The hiring of Muschamp was by far the worse decision of the decade and led to everything else.
Maybe but we still were recruiting #3 and #4 classes. I think you can overcome one garbage hire, but not three.

Towels 'N Sporks

May 19, 2016

Imagine seeing what he did to our program and then deciding to hire him as your head coach anyway. At least we had the excuse of not knowing. In hindsight, it was an awful hire and decision as you said, but I feel like a lot more people were excited about the muschamp hire than the mccelwain hire from what I remember.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, but I feel like a lot more people were excited about the muschamp hire than the mccelwain hire from what I remember.
I dont remember it that way. Plenty of people didnt like a DC at all, an unproven guy, and most of all a DWAG. Some tried to choke it down. In 2012 some were even sure we were going to be the next Trailerbammer power running football, but not many.

Id say more thought that fukkking retard sharki rapin 3star whisperer QB guru #1 was a great hire.

None of the three hires we appreciated by most of the board. And we were right.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Your 1 and 2 are a basically the crux of it, unless you go back to neteng's 1976 suggestion. Your 3-6 aren't the disease itself, but symptoms exhibited because of 1 and 2.

There are all kinds of granular, secondary issues like the Culpepper over Brees decision, Rich Rod giving the state of Alabama the :ugh: routine, Brantley getting cold feet about going to Austin, etc. But that's where it begins and ends.
There aren't enough words to express how thankful I am that he did that... :bananadance2:

Towels 'N Sporks

May 19, 2016
I dont remember it that way. Plenty of people didnt like a DC at all, an unproven guy, and most of all a DWAG. Some tried to choke it down. In 2012 some were even sure we were going to be the next Trailerbammer power running football, but not many.

Id say more thought that fukkking retard sharki rapin 3star whisperer QB guru #1 was a great hire.

None of the three hires we appreciated by most of the board. And we were right.

Yeah I don't remember what the board opinions were about muschamp, so you're probably right. Of the three hires, I was the least excited and most vocal about Mullen, because it seemed like a surrender to mediocrity. I think at the end of last year I admitted that it looked like I was wrong, and I thought we were trending up. But too many buffoon moments this year made me change my mind again

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Buffoons gonna buffoon.

It is in his dna.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

It was most likely that Saban

images

to Meyer in the 2009 SECcg.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It all went to hell when we hired Mushchamp and followed it with Butters.
I’m so sick of folks complaining about Meyer. He left a well stocked trophy case and a helluva roster for the next two fuchtards to destroy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

1-4, are just symptoms of Foley not having a backup plan, or any kind of plan in place. Which after Spurrier leaving as suddenly as he did is a completely unprofessional and the exact opposite of how it should have happened.

5. Saban saw the change coming and changed with it. We did not... can't fault that for Sofla loving the Eagles or any other unnatural things that happen in life

6. The initial hire while a schit hire in hidsight, not as bad. The double extension was gross like looking at URG's lil smokey fingers.

Fuching up the hire after Muschamp was critical. We could have a bad hire and rebound (ie Zook). The fact that the administration doesn't recognized the changed landscape and is slow to react. Will continue this until they will take the proper time to find a candidate that isn't just another jabrony.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
1-4, are just symptoms of Foley not having a backup plan, or any kind of plan in place. Which after Spurrier leaving as suddenly as he did is a completely unprofessional and the exact opposite of how it should have happened.

5. Saban saw the change coming and changed with it. We did not... can't fault that for Sofla loving the Eagles or any other unnatural things that happen in life

6. The initial hire while a schit hire in hidsight, not as bad. The double extension was gross like looking at URG's lil smokey fingers.

Fuching up the hire after Muschamp was critical. We could have a bad hire and rebound (ie Zook). The fact that the administration doesn't recognized the changed landscape and is slow to react. Will continue this until they will take the proper time to find a candidate that isn't just another jabrony.

This was such an important period in the whole process. As you said, it wasn't the hiring of WM that was so egregious(though having a year's notice and looking at one, unproven guy is ridiculous). It was the doubling down, and then retaining him post 2013 that truly killed the decade. We were on the edge of the precipice, staring into the abyss, and rather than recognizing the failure so that it could be corrected, Foley arrogantly gave us one final push. As Law pointed out, we had still recruited well up to that point and could've been pulled back to safety with several names. Whether they ended up being the perfect hire or not, guys like Franklin or even Strong, both of whom left smaller programs for big jobs that offseason, would've been able to stop the bleeding and get us back on the right path. Mullen as well, imo. The moment we excused, justified, and almost ok'd, that 2013 disaster because of some misguided career achievement mindset from 2012, anyone could see we were in for a long, disgusting ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator