The Fun N Gun: Remember when this was us?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I must be the only one who loves Urbs and am glad we didn't rehire SOS. Guy is a legend and defines everything it means to be a Florida Gator but his time had passed. Urbs and Mullen's offense is what I like

I remember all the discussion on various board at that time arguing that Meyer was a much better hire as he would be at UF long after Spurrier retired for good. Here we are 15 years later and Spurrier is still winning games while Meyer is on his second "health" related retirement.

The Meyer hire was a $100 million mistake. Now as someone pointed out above, it was Machen's mistake not Foley's, but it was at least a $100 million mistake. So you can love Meyer all you want, but hiring him over Spurrier greatly hurt UF's athletic department.

Just imagine had Spurrier coached UF from say 2005 to 2017. Let's say Spurrier was not as successful as his first time around. Still he might have averaged 6 SEC wins a year for 78 more SEC wins to become the coach with the most SEC wins in history. Imagine given UF's football history if UF had the coach to have won the most SEC games in history.

Additionally, UF's jersey sales, UF attendance etc would have not tailed off nearly as much and I think $8 million a year lost is a conservative figure. The cost of hiring Meyer could be well over that $100 million figure and it does not even calculate in the damage to the brand of the Meyer era of arrests and bad behavior that Machen allowed because he could not afford to have the guy he snubbed Spurrier for fail.

In 2001, UF had the most admirable football program in the country. Since then, the powers that be at UF have allowed the brand to be harmed because they could not stand to bring Spurrier back any of four chances they had.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
$100m mistake? How did we arrive at that math? How do you label two national championships a mistake?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
$100m mistake? How did we arrive at that math? How do you label two national championships a mistake?

Because the guy, Meyer, then bailed on UF and UF's revenue has been down since then. Sure during the Meyer 50% successful 6 seasons, UF may have even had a bump over the Spurrier years in revenue. But hiring Meyer meant not having Spurrier for the last decade or most of the last decade and it was a terrible mistake for the program.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because the guy, Meyer, then bailed on UF and UF's revenue has been down since then. Sure during the Meyer 50% successful 6 seasons, UF may have even had a bump over the Spurrier years in revenue. But hiring Meyer meant not having Spurrier for the last decade or most of the last decade and it was a terrible mistake for the program.
Got any figures to show our revenue was higher when he left?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Of course not, AS I ALWAYS DO, I would have said I did a study if I had done a study of this issue. I am making a rough guess as the words "conservative estimate" indicated. You can choose to disbelieve that it was a $100 million dollar at least mistake and I can choose to believe what I said. That is what makes a message board.

All I know is that for 12 seasons from 1990 to 2001, UF was in the national picture late into the season most years. In the Meyer years UF was only in the national picture 3 of his 6 years. So it is pretty clear to me that though Meyer is a great coach, he hollows out programs and hiring him instead of Spurrier at that time was an expensive mistake.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
All I know is that for 12 seasons from 1990 to 2001, UF was in the national picture late into the season most years. In the Meyer years UF was only in the national picture 3 of his 6 years. So it is pretty clear to me that though Meyer is a great coach, he hollows out programs and hiring him instead of Spurrier at that time was an expensive mistake.

I would have hated to see Spurrier’s college career end at UF the way that it ended at SCar. He’ll always be a legend here because his coaching career at UF ended too early, rather than too late.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
All Foley had to do was make a decent hire and all would have been fine. Instead, he hired a chimp.

Calling Meyer a mistake is asinine even for you. I could easily turn it around to say that hiring Foley was a mistake - one of the biggest in the history of the program. He’s the one who burned down the program, not Meyer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How could Fooley have known that CUM might leave? It isn't like he quit the prior December also due to "health reasons".

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How could Fooley have known that CUM might leave? It isn't like he quit the prior December also due to "health reasons".
Lol, it's mind boggling to think that he had a full year to create a succession plan and instead settled on a vein-popping looney after a four-hour interview.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer was the right hire. The best hire at the time. We didnt know how much of a snake oil salesman he was back then. Two titles. We sold our soul. We've paid our price and Hopefully we're headed back to the mountain.

Ever wonder how much of meyer rubs off on his assistants? I hope none.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer was the right hire. The best hire at the time. We didnt know how much of a snake oil salesman he was back then. Two titles. We sold our soul. We've paid our price and Hopefully we're headed back to the mountain.

Ever wonder how much of meyer rubs off on his assistants? I hope none.
If it's intensity, work ethic and the ST coach is in on it, I hope all of it.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
He’s just making **** up and pretending it’s real. Same as the success=10 wins or the offense isn’t good unless it’s 400+ ypg (which he went back on because the opponents at the end of the season were too easy). To be a fly on the wall of insti’s mind would be epic...

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
To be a fly on the wall of insti’s mind would be epic...

images

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just got accepted to CU Boulder for grad school. I’ve never dealt with snow. Going to be an interesting year.

Boulder is a great town...been a few times and my brother is a season ticket holder there for football. Weather isn’t too bad actually...lots of snow but not bitter cold

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
Pretty soon that era will be thirty years ago.

I love SOS but he was never a true CEO and that is what you need now at the top level. He just wants to draw up a few ball plays and make you look stupid when he dials them up at the right moment. The rest of the job was always half hearted with him. You need a guy with passion for the details and the process. That ain't SOS.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yep a real leader of this site you are. What an absolute fool you are.
Please explain this. Was calling what you said "asinine" too much for you to take? How you have survived here with your thin skin all these years is a minor miracle.

"Leader"? :lol: My God, it's a message board. I'm not leading young men into battle here.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yep a real leader of this site you are. What an absolute fool you are.

So, what would our losses be if Foley hired another good coach after Meyer instead? And since he didn't, why is that Meyers fault? I doubt anyone liked the ending of the Meyer era but many sure enjoyed it while it was in full swing. Blame Foley. The guy was clueless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator