The Fun N Gun: Remember when this was us?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are some who will tell you Spurrier and Foley had developed a mutual resentment toward the end of their working relationship that made it impossible for them to work together again.

Others will say Spurrier was content in Columbia and that it was doubtful he would have wanted to return to the pressure cooker that he himself had helped create.

I'm not even sure UF fans were all onboard a Spurrier return. I remember comments on GSMB to the effect that he was aging and that the game had passed him by. GO YOUNGER was the cry.

Look where that got us. It made us all older.
He would have been an easier sell than the DC of a 5-7 Texas team.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No question in my mind he could have come back if he and Foley wanted it. That part I'm very unsure of. The guy had plenty of coach left in him. Still does less the energy needed to recruit.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No question in my mind he could have come back if he and Foley wanted it. That part I'm very unsure of. The guy had plenty of coach left in him. Still does less the energy needed to recruit.

Spurrier only had to close....assistants do all the heavy lifting

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The dentist that my wife worked for at that time was a UF grad and him and I had this discussion because I wanted SOS to come back and he didn't. He said he knew several alum that didn't want him back. I thought that was crazy.
SID whisper technique with the trusted ones are effective.

Remember when they were whispering that LDR was better than Grier and 80% bought it?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Still does less the energy needed to recruit.
Mehhh.... not sure he has the energy or ever had the energy to compete in today's market.

He'd make a great OC though.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mehhh.... not sure he has the energy or ever had the energy to compete in today's market.

He'd make a great OC though.
At the end of the day, that might have been Numero Uno reason why he walked away from the college game. Recall the aloud thinking two years ago about coaching offense for a high school team. That's SOS until the day he dies.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Perfect job for him in the AAF, they have a brief training camp, they play a stunted season... then he is off to be with family and golf until the next season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That ****er made every team he touched immediately worse, even if the defensive stats got better. He managed to destroy offense just by being in the building. Easy to imagine him screaming in the prep rooms about runningnthe ball and shortening the game so his defense didnt get tired

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His Texas sized ego really screwed us over. He couldn’t stand the idea of being overshadowed by SOS and instead showed what a little biotch he really was when he told a Gator legend to submit his resume if he wanted to be considered for the job. That bucked tooth, horse mouthed prick can go eff himself. He singlehandedly set our football program back 20+ years.

To be fair, and correct, as much as I dislike Foley for what he did to out football program hiring Zook, MooseDump and Butters it was Bernie who asked for SOS's resume and not Fooley... To which SOS replied go look in the trophy case, that is my resume and walked out of the meeting...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, and correct, as much as I dislike Foley for what he did to out football program hiring Zook, MooseDump and Butters it was Bernie who asked for SOS's resume and not Fooley... To which SOS replied go look in the trophy case, that is my resume and walked out of the meeting...
Maybe, but it's well documented that Foley and Spurrier despised each other.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fifteen years later, it's still overwhelmingly ridiculous to think of an academic nimwit like Machen demanding a football resume from anyone much less Steve Spurrier.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
File this under “stupid things ignorant bean-counter types do in the presence of legends”

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Are we debating the hiring of Meyer over rehire of SOS? Sorry, as much as I despise the way Meyer handled his exit (or better put, Foley allowed Meyer to handle the exit poorly), I would take Meyer over SOS with hindsight every time. SOS left us, high and dry, for valid reasons, but things are never they way they were before so once he left I wouldn't want him to come back. But since we are allowed to go back in time in this discussion and change history, I would rather take Meyer then not allow him to return after he retired the first time. That is when we should have went out and got a new coach, not a year later for Muschamp. But again ... this probably brings up the same reason we got zOoK after SOS left ... Foley was probably not prepared to act when Meyer did that retirement crap the first time.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Are we debating the hiring of Meyer over rehire of SOS? Sorry, as much as I despise the way Meyer handled his exit (or better put, Foley allowed Meyer to handle the exit poorly), I would take Meyer over SOS with hindsight every time. SOS left us, high and dry, for valid reasons, but things are never they way they were before so once he left I wouldn't want him to come back. But since we are allowed to go back in time in this discussion and change history, I would rather take Meyer then not allow him to return after he retired the first time. That is when we should have went out and got a new coach, not a year later for Muschamp. But again ... this probably brings up the same reason we got zOoK after SOS left ... Foley was probably not prepared to act when Meyer did that retirement crap the first time.

You are spot on. Would anyone have hired Addazio as head coach for even one season after Meyer “retired” before Foley begged him to come back for one more season? Because that is what we got. Addazio as head coach, and Meyer as a disengaged figurehead.

That would have been the time, not the next season, when we ended up with Muschamp. Could have done better than that without the disaster Addazio year as an added penalty.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You are spot on. Would anyone have hired Addazio as head coach for even one season after Meyer “retired” before Foley begged him to come back for one more season? Because that is what we got. Addazio as head coach, and Meyer as a disengaged figurehead.

That would have been the time, not the next season, when we ended up with Muschamp. Could have done better than that without the disaster Addazio year as an added penalty.

Foley's biggest gaffe(and there are several) was having an entire season to prepare for a departure and zeroing in on one, completely unproven guy--a bulldog, no less. That's the biggest waste of resources I've ever witnessed.

I'm not a Daz fan at all. And to be clear, he is in no way cut out to be a head coach at this level. But in reality, we would've been better off Iong-term allowing Daz to transition into the head role in '10, the way Osu has with Day. If nothing else, the continuity would've been better with recruiting and we would've arrived at an answer at least a year earlier. We had him as coach anyway. Why not let the results on the field go against him so we can start working on the next plan.

Again, not a Daz fan. So this is purely a hindsight, lesser of two evils approach. But it would've put us in position to stop the bleeding sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator