The Hick from French Lick

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched this again and really enjoyed the comments from the former players...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In recent years I have been curious why James does not get the credit Johnson and Bird got for not being a selfish player for being willing to pass the ball.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
76er fan here (well, back when I cared at all about the NBA).

I hated Larry Bird with a passion. But, I respected the crap out of him. Not only could the man shoot - and it'd be down to him or MJ as to who I'd want to launch the buzzer beater if my life depended on it - but man, could he pass. He could see things on the court - angles - and predict movement like some kind of psychic, then zip the ball to the open teammate.

As much as I hated Bird, I hated McHale even more. And Ainge? I might still fight him today if our paths crossed. :box:

This could be the most glorious moment in all of sports - Sedale Threatt taking no guff from that little puss:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
In recent years I have been curious why James does not get the credit Johnson and Bird got for not being a selfish player for being willing to pass the ball.

Maybe because he has passed when he should have shot in big games in the past.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Maybe because he has passed when he should have shot in big games in the past.

That is my point, I never heard anyone say that about Johnson nor Bird though they did at times pass the ball in big moments. Then a ball hog came along during a down time in NBA talent and everyone after him seems to be held to a ball hog standard.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to leave this guy off any all-time team. He had height, the shot, moves around the basket and he was the original point forward, a great, great passer.

What Larry Bird was most was a fierce competitor and tough as nails.

Edit: Bird had unusual quickness for his size before injuries hampered him. He was a solid defender as well.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Couldn't hold Magic's jock...played almost no defense and barely rebounded....Magic killed it at every aspect and a lot of people don't realize he could have averaged 30-35 ppg….he could have started for almost any NBA team at ANY position in the 80's....GOAT.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't hold Magic's jock...played almost no defense and barely rebounded....Magic killed it at every aspect and a lot of people don't realize he could have averaged 30-35 ppg….he could have started for almost any NBA team at ANY position in the 80's....GOAT.

STFU!

:lies:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Truth hurts I know but in reality if Magic had been drafted by a crappy team he would have averaged 45 points a game....He could score from anywhere on the floor and could beat any player one on one.….not even close, GOAT and he made it look pretty.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bird was a small forward. He was a threat from perimeter. And yet he averaged more than 10 rebounds for his career.

Crete, did you actually watch Magic play defense? Apparently not. You blinked.

Larry Bird was every ounce as valuable to the Celtics as Magic Johnson was to the Lakers.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bird and Magic are my favorite players of all time. Bird's effortless release on his jumper was a thing to behold.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
That is my point, I never heard anyone say that about Johnson nor Bird though they did at times pass the ball in big moments. Then a ball hog came along during a down time in NBA talent and everyone after him seems to be held to a ball hog standard.
When the game was on the line, Bird and Magic always demanded the ball. Sure there might have been times when they made a play and found a wide open teammate to take the shot, but they never passed off and played timid at the end. That's the knock on James. And your MJ reference is flat out laughable. He'd have had James crying in the locker room refusing to come out for the second half.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
When the game was on the line, Bird and Magic always demanded the ball. Sure there might have been times when they made a play and found a wide open teammate to take the shot, but they never passed off and played timid at the end. That's the knock on James. And your MJ reference is flat out laughable. He'd have had James crying in the locker room refusing to come out for the second half.

You sure he didn't mean Kobe? Jordan was always a natural 2 and usually played like one.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete, did you actually watch Magic play defense? Apparently not. You blinked.
Yes he could shut down everyone from Moses Malone to Isiah Thomas....his unique ability to guard ANY player on the floor led to most of the Lakers famed "fast break" offense.
He had a beautiful perimeter shot, could drive like nobodies business AND post almost any player on the defense....there wasn't a place he couldn't score from consistently and yet is considered the greatest team player in NBA history.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

Bird averaged 10 rebounds a game, for his career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.