The Hunting Thread...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My neighbor sent me this pic yesterday. He caught this Timber rattler crawling around his chicken coop probably looking for eggs. It measured 51" and had 9 rattles. this is the largest rattle snake either of us have ever seen around our houses but Mrs. Nalt says that when she was a teen (we live on the same road she grew up on) they would see 6' rattlers...

Fifty one with 9 rattles_1 Aug 2023.jpg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I found this one back in 2015 when I was out in Colorado Springs, CO working for a couple of weeks. I only saw it when I was stepping off of the pavement onto the grass and I almost stepped on it. I didn't measure it but would estimate it was maybe 16" long. I do remember that it was an angry little thing though as it repeatedly kept trying to strike at me. Poor thing, it died when a huge rock came falling from the sky and crushed it...

Rattler in COS.jpg

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
My neighbor sent me this pic yesterday. He caught this Timber rattler crawling around his chicken coop probably looking for eggs. It measured 51" and had 9 rattles. this is the largest rattle snake either of us have ever seen around our houses but Mrs. Nalt says that when she was a teen (we live on the same road she grew up on) they would see 6' rattlers...

View attachment 60201
Wow...that is a big ole nope rope. Glad your friend made a good snake outta him.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Heading out in the morning to enjoy the opener of dove season with my step son. Here's hoping we have better luck in the morning.
Have a great time. Dove is one of my favorites for hunting.

Used to sit out on the old MJ (ditch weed) growing in farms in Nebraska. **** grows everywhere from the World Wars when farmers were required to grow hemp. Grows thick near cattle tanks and the dove poor in.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I arrived this evening for archery elk and bear camp. Watching the game has me drinking too much, but I fell off the tailgate if my truck a couple days ago that pulled a muscle in my lower back and aggravated a compression fracture in my L3, so I might get skunked since I can't do the walking I need to get to areas for the elk. Might just leave trash out to draw a bear in to the camper (not really).

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I arrived this evening for archery elk and bear camp. Watching the game has me drinking too much, but I fell off the tailgate if my truck a couple days ago that pulled a muscle in my lower back and aggravated a compression fracture in my L3, so I might get skunked since I can't do the walking I need to get to areas for the elk. Might just leave trash out to draw a bear in to the camper (not really).
Enjoy the view. Hope you have have a good time regardless.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A neighbor posted this on our neighborhood FB page:

A heads up for you that have livestock on the lane. Last night something attacked our adult alpacas causing serious injury to 2 of them. The attack is not characteristic of coyotes as they rarely attack adults, definitely not in our barn, and not several alpacas at once. Have any of you aware of anything bigger than a coyote in our area?

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
A neighbor posted this on our neighborhood FB page:

A heads up for you that have livestock on the lane. Last night something attacked our adult alpacas causing serious injury to 2 of them. The attack is not characteristic of coyotes as they rarely attack adults, definitely not in our barn, and not several alpacas at once. Have any of you aware of anything bigger than a coyote in our area?
Yipes. Do you have pumas in the area?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I woulda bet money this was typed by Coach!

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Another neighbor said they saw a bobcat years ago. There have been bears in the area before. Both are possible but not as likely as a coyote though.
I think my bet would be either multiple coyote or a pack of dogs. When I was a teen there was a pack of wild dogs in our area and we were told that they had killed a 2000 pound bull.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
The dove hunt was a bust this morning. We saw maybe 30 birds in total. Killed 4 on twelve shots. We're gonna go back out this evening and compete with the mexicans on a public field closer to the house.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Well, the mexicans outcompeted us. We looked like a certain SEC head coach that will remain nameless out there. Step son got one bird, but nailed it. I think that one shot meant more to him than all the stuff that went into it. He's 22 now and able to judge distance on the shot, his ability lead passing shots is still shaky, but he is getting better. He knows its generally a bad idea to set up facing west for an evening hunt...he's learned that being in shade while the birds are in the sun helps quite a bit with camouflage. At this point I think he would be able to go on his own to a field and have a decent shot at killing a few. He was so proud when he finally pinwheeled that bird today. Made the whole two mile round trip walk worth it.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Got up at 4 this morning and could barely get out of bed. Put some heat on the back and tried to get out, but couldn't make it. Try again this evening if so can get the back loosened up

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator