The Hunting Thread...

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
@Back Alley Gator

Your hunt sounds like mine. Shot 2, knocked feathers off the first, but it flew on. Knocked this one down.

Threw on the grill with a couple pork steaks.

But my new to me used Benelli Ethos will shuck cheap shells.

Dove here at deer camp have so much harvested corn they don't have to fly around looking for something to eat
2571c7ab4e0e34168efdf3fcf6a6f9e9.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A neighbor posted this on our neighborhood FB page:

A heads up for you that have livestock on the lane. Last night something attacked our adult alpacas causing serious injury to 2 of them. The attack is not characteristic of coyotes as they rarely attack adults, definitely not in our barn, and not several alpacas at once. Have any of you aware of anything bigger than a coyote in our area?

IMG_3282.jpeg

Still no idea what this is attacking the alpacas. Why didn’t it kill the alapaca or what scared it off twice?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Not sure. How were the alpacas housed? Was this in a rural area?

Sounds like yotes or feral dogs.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not sure. How were the alpacas housed? Was this in a rural area?

Sounds like yotes or feral dogs.
Fairly rural area with the city starting to encroach in on us.
I can get to 3 Krogers and a Walmart in 5 minutes.
We have plenty of coyotes out here but they've never done anything like this before.
Another neighbor has sheep and others have a pony and horses that have never been bothered.
The alpacas were attacked inside the barn which is 150' from their house. The barn is in a fenced in area and the alpacas come in for shelter, not inside a stall.

Was it attacking just for the sport of it?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Fairly rural area with the city starting to encroach in on us.
I can get to 3 Krogers and a Walmart in 5 minutes.
We have plenty of coyotes out here but they've never done anything like this before.
Another neighbor has sheep and others have a pony and horses that have never been bothered.
The alpacas were attacked inside the barn which is 150' from their house. The barn is in a fenced in area and the alpacas come in for shelter, not inside a stall.

Was it attacking just for the sport of it?
They were inside the barn but the door still open, right? IMO that was probably some dogs that are going rogue at night when their owners aren't available.

Horses will kill coyotes. Then again, I've seen a horse kill a goat and sometimes they will even kill a pony or another horse...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
They were inside the barn but the door still open, right? IMO that was probably some dogs that are going rogue at night when their owners aren't available.

Horses will kill coyotes. Then again, I've seen a horse kill a goat and sometimes they will even kill a pony or another horse...
The barn has a run in area that the alpacas feed and sleep in. They don't lock them in the stalls.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I suppose a fox could cause some trouble but I can't see even two or three of them being able to take down a fully grown alpaca.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I'd put up some trail cams. But my bet right now is roaming dogs.
Put up some trail cams AND set a trap. Put one of the Alpacas in a stall that had strong wire mesh to keep the predators out and fix it so the predator either gets caught in a trap or simply can't get out of the barn once it goes in. The trap, or a snare, would be the easiest method. Once captured, I would report to the dog's owner that it sadly succumbed to high velocity traumatic lead poisoning. Or just not report to the dog's owner and let it happen...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I suppose a fox could cause some trouble but I can't see even two or three of them being able to take down a fully grown alpaca.
Fox wouldn't do this and they don't typically hunt in packs. They are so small that it would take several working together to down a grown alpaca.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Put up some trail cams AND set a trap. Put one of the Alpacas in a stall that had strong wire mesh to keep the predators out and fix it so the predator either gets caught in a trap or simply can't get out of the barn once it goes in. The trap, or a snare, would be the easiest method. Once captured, I would report to the dog's owner that it sadly succumbed to high velocity traumatic lead poisoning. Or just not report to the dog's owner and let it happen...
They moved the alpacas off the property so it definitely won't happen there again. We don't have any outdoor animals. You may recall the neighbors across the street have horses and a pony. During the summer they leave them out at night to graze and put them in the stall in the hot daytime. She's going to switch that now for fear it/they will come after the pony.

Would a pack of dogs attack just for the sport of it?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
They moved the alpacas off the property so it definitely won't happen there again. We don't have any outdoor animals. You may recall the neighbors across the street have horses and a pony. During the summer they leave them out at night to graze and put them in the stall in the hot daytime. She's going to switch that now for fear it/they will come after the pony.

No, but C.H.U.D.'s would...

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

Yep. Esp if they are well fed. No need to actually eat what they kill. But in a pack they follow the leader. If its a mean one, they will follow his lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.