The Hunting Thread...

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Well, got home last evening from my elk and bear hunt in north Colorado. Barely saw a few elk miles away in Wyoming; otherwise, nothing seen or heard. Got a visit from a CDW ranger at my camper - he said no one was seeing or shooting anything this early. But, it was a fun four weeks away from home, camping, drinking beer, watching some football, working remotely during the week and taking my bow for some extended walks.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, got home last evening from my elk and bear hunt in north Colorado. Barely saw a few elk miles away in Wyoming; otherwise, nothing seen or heard. Got a visit from a CDW ranger at my camper - he said no one was seeing or shooting anything this early. But, it was a fun four weeks away from home, camping, drinking beer, watching some football, working remotely during the week and taking my bow for some extended walks.

Were you out there by yourself? For four weeks?

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Were you out there by yourself? For four weeks?
No, my son joined me for the last two weeks. And I spent three days in Beaver Creek for a conference in the middle of the first full week.

But, it was a long time in the camper. We had to buy 2.5 gallon jugs of water and pump them into the holding tank to make it through the last week. And pump the waste tanks into a portable tank and take it to town to dump a couple times over that period.

All-in-all, it was a good time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No, my son joined me for the last two weeks. And I spent three days in Beaver Creek for a conference in the middle of the first full week.

But, it was a long time in the camper. We had to buy 2.5 gallon jugs of water and pump them into the holding tank to make it through the last week. And pump the waste tanks into a portable tank and take it to town to dump a couple times over that period.

All-in-all, it was a good time.

That sounds great and I don’t even hunt. I’m thrilled at the idea of getting one day of peace and quiet alone in Utah in a few months. Four weeks of quiet walks in the mountains, and in this kind of weather, would be incredible. I have a friend between Vail and BC that always tells me to come out in the summer.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
That sounds great and I don’t even hunt. I’m thrilled at the idea of getting one day of peace and quiet alone in Utah in a few months. Four weeks of quiet walks in the mountains, and in this kind of weather, would be incredible. I have a friend between Vail and BC that always tells me to come out in the summer.
This time of year is excellent for that area. No big summer or ski crowds and the leaves are changing on the aspens - and you might even see some cool wildlife!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
This time of year is excellent for that area. No big summer or ski crowds and the leaves are changing on the aspens - and you might even see some cool wildlife!
Our niece lives in Boulder but will be moving back to KY next fall so we want to go visit. I was thinking next April but it's probably still too cold. What would be the best month in CO?

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Our niece lives in Boulder but will be moving back to KY next fall so we want to go visit. I was thinking next April but it's probably still too cold. What would be the best month in CO?
April is nice, but colder than it used to be. Any of the fall months are great. Spring really doesn't get consistently nice until May; however, this year, it rained all May, so who knows. We went from cool, rainy winter/spring to hot, dry summer this year, so it was kind of odd.

If she is moving back before September, then I would recommend May. If she isn't moving back until after September, that is the month to come.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
April is nice, but colder than it used to be. Any of the fall months are great. Spring really doesn't get consistently nice until May; however, this year, it rained all May, so who knows. We went from cool, rainy winter/spring to hot, dry summer this year, so it was kind of odd.

If she is moving back before September, then I would recommend May. If she isn't moving back until after September, that is the month to come.
She said fall of next year so we need to go before Sept. We went to CO in early Oct one year and it snowed on us but was gorgeous. Estes Park was closed at the top and we couldn't get all the way through. I was selfishly trying to go while the kids were still in school. If we wait too long it will become a trip with the kids plus fiancé and that sounds expensive. :lol:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
She said fall of next year so we need to go before Sept. We went to CO in early Oct one year and it snowed on us but was gorgeous. Estes Park was closed at the top and we couldn't get all the way through. I was selfishly trying to go while the kids were still in school. If we wait too long it will become a trip with the kids plus fiancé and that sounds expensive. :lol:
Well, remember, if you are thinking of doing RMNP, you have to make reservations - even to just drive through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator