The Hunting Thread...

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Sounds like somebody should have spent last weekend shooting clays.
Well...do they have 45 mexicans surrounding the clays houses shooting at every one that comes out? It didn't matter how far away the bird was, where it was flying, or who was in the area. If they could see it, they were blasting it. We're talking 80-90 yards shots at birds that had no intention of coming any closer. On the happenstance of a bird actually flying close enough to be hit, they would look for it for about 45 seconds before going back to skybusting.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just got the final details worked out on a dove hunt in Argentina. Highly looking forward to it. Unfortunately it’s December…… of 2023.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Just got the final details worked out on a dove hunt in Argentina. Highly looking forward to it. Unfortunately it’s December…… of 2023.
Lemme know all about it. Are you bringing your own gun and ammo? Or are they providing same? Never been on one in Argentina....but I saw Tim Wells down there whacking them with a compound bow with fluflu arrows. Insane.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lemme know all about it. Are you bringing your own gun and ammo? Or are they providing same? Never been on one in Argentina....but I saw Tim Wells down there whacking them with a compound bow with fluflu arrows. Insane.

I haven’t decided yet and want to research this a little more. You can bring your own gun/ammo or rent one of theirs ($75 a day). This outfit has a full line of Benelli. Something about traveling with my own gear to South America just seems like it could be “sketchy”. My BIL is an avid hunter and an Argentina Dove hunt has been on his bucketlist. I didn’t even know it was a thing.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We actually won this at a CCA blind auction. Amazing group btw:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I haven’t decided yet and want to research this a little more. You can bring your own gun/ammo or rent one of theirs ($75 a day). This outfit has a full line of Benelli. Something about traveling with my own gear to South America just seems like it could be “sketchy”. My BIL is an avid hunter and an Argentina Dove hunt has been on his bucketlist. I didn’t even know it was a thing.
Yea I want to do a dove hunt in Argentina...but wouldn't want to send my gun down there. I'd just rent...esp if I could hunt with a semi auto benelli...that's what I shoot here. 3.5" SBE.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yea I want to do a dove hunt in Argentina...but wouldn't want to send my gun down there. I'd just rent...esp if I could hunt with a semi auto benelli...that's what I shoot here. 3.5" SBE.

I saw a gorgeous engraved Benelli in Garden & Guns magazine and wanted one…until I looked up the price. Oh my!

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Surely you don't use 3.5 inch ammo for dove?

I switched to a 20 gauge for pheasant in 2010, Benelli Ethos 20. Lighter gun and ammo. I do use 3 inch ammo for pheasant.

Last few years, I have turkey hunted with a 20, too.

TSS shot is bad news for turkeys.

Also, they say Uruguay is good for bird hunters.

A poster on GON forum said his Argentina hunt got cancelled due to lack of ammo this year.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Surely you don't use 3.5 inch ammo for dove?

I switched to a 20 gauge for pheasant in 2010, Benelli Ethos 20. Lighter gun and ammo. I do use 3 inch ammo for pheasant.

Last few years, I have turkey hunted with a 20, too.

TSS shot is bad news for turkeys.t

Also, they say Uruguay is good for bird hunters.

A poster on GON forum said his Argentina hunt got cancelled due to lack of ammo this year.
Oh no no no. Two and three quarters only for dove. I tried hand loading some ounce and a quarter 7.5s this year. Something was wrong with either the crimp or the resizer. About ten percent were too snug to reliably chamber. I hadn't noticed this before because I had previously only hand loaded shells for my Winchester O/U and it doesn't care about cycling.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh no no no. Two and three quarters only for dove. I tried hand loading some ounce and a quarter 7.5s this year. Something was wrong with either the crimp or the resizer. About ten percent were too snug to reliably chamber. I hadn't noticed this before because I had previously only hand loaded shells for my Winchester O/U and it doesn't care about cycling.
Check the wads you’re using and also the hulls. I’ve loaded my own for a while and have found that with my 20 ga loads, the Winchester and Remington hulls take different wads for the same powder and shot measures to get the proper crimp.

Also, the newer hulls don’t hold up to reloading like the older ones and I’ve noticed some deforming of the plastic on the 2nd and 3rd loads. When I first started reloading, I bought a ton of the old Peters blue hulls and would get 5+ reloads before the brass started breaking down.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Check the wads you’re using and also the hulls. I’ve loaded my own for a while and have found that with my 20 ga loads, the Winchester and Remington hulls take different wads for the same powder and shot measures to get the proper crimp.

Also, the newer hulls don’t hold up to reloading like the older ones and I’ve noticed some deforming of the plastic on the 2nd and 3rd loads. When I first started reloading, I bought a ton of the old Peters blue hulls and would get 5+ reloads before the brass started breaking down.
That's also a concern. I'm reloading skeet hulls with field load charges and shot ounces. I've been careful matching AA wads with Winchester hulls. Very temperamental overall. Will verify crimp depth and see if that helps matters.

I miss those blue Peters hulls. They stood up to just about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb