The Hunting Thread...

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
My hunting season starts tomorrow...got drawn for a controlled dove hunt tomorrow and the next day. Limited hunters in the field and unspooked birds. Hoping for a limit...

Then on the 25th of Sept, its time to grab a bow and try to ambush a deer.

1630442575233.png

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Well they were sure flying this morning. After the wind and rain the last few days they were ready to roam. Limited out in 1.5 hrs.

20210901_122427.jpg

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Went out and got another limit this morning. 15 birds on 35 shells...its amazing what happens when I pay attention to my shooting form and don't just skybust. Here are a few pics of the morning...it was absolutely gorgeous and a wonderful day to be outside.

20210902_063644.jpg 20210902_070414.jpg

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
That’s good shoot’n BAG. I bird hunted in my teens years ago with G grandfather around Altrus FL. He raised and trained his own dogs. Cherish those days.

Iv done some dove shoots since. It’s the best time. Those birds ain’t easy to hit. Right now I’m maybe 50/50.

Just waiting on deer season here. Have a lease in GA. Certainly miss birds though. Nothing like it and your pics bring it back. Nice work and happy shooting.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
That’s good shoot’n BAG. I bird hunted in my teens years ago with G grandfather around Altrus FL. He raised and trained his own dogs. Cherish those days.

Iv done some dove shoots since. It’s the best time. Those birds ain’t easy to hit. Right now I’m maybe 50/50.

Just waiting on deer season here. Have a lease in GA. Certainly miss birds though. Nothing like it and your pics bring it back. Nice work and happy shooting.

Thanks spearo...I developed a love of dove hunting during my time in north carolina. It was a social event there...large groups of people would get together and hunt cut corn fields and have pulled pork bbq and all the fixins. It was the first hunting event of the fall and it meant deer season was coming in a couple of weeks, and cooler temps about two months after that.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018

Thanks spearo...I developed a love of dove hunting during my time in north carolina. It was a social event there...large groups of people would get together and hunt cut corn fields and have pulled pork bbq and all the fixins. It was the first hunting event of the fall and it meant deer season was coming in a couple of weeks, and cooler temps about two months after that.

Envy ya. Happy shooting. Knock em down and good eats!!

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
Envy ya. Happy shooting. Knock em down and good eats!!

I usually only lurk here but any hunting/fishing post gets me going. Your pics are great. Poster CCC who recently passed is tragic for the board. I hunt in a town of population 250 in small town GA. That joker knew the town and recommended a greasy cheeseburger at the local greasy spoon. Classic! I’ll miss ol coots post as a lurker.

Broke the mold….

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

What is this nicely fried food?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
What is this nicely fried food?

Those are dove wings and legs. Earlier in the thread I posted pics of whole plucked doves. I could never find a way to cook them so that the breast, wings and legs were all done at the same time. So I decided to just cut the legs and wings off and fry them. Then make dove poppers out of the breast.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG

It was great to go back to my home "stomping grounds" and hunt an Osceola again in my 70th year. Brought back many memories of walking through hammocks of live oak and cabbage palm as a kid. This was a fine bird unfortunately I showed my age and half the beard is shot off. What a way to start the spring season!

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

It was great to go back to my home "stomping grounds" and hunt an Osceola again in my 70th year. Brought back many memories of walking through hammocks of live oak and cabbage palm as a kid. This was a fine bird unfortunately I showed my age and half the beard is shot off. What a way to start the spring season!

Nice hooks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.