The Hunting Thread...

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Anyone seeing good ammo deals? Post a link if so!
Not online, but I go to a local tactical store in Longmont, CO and they have had a pretty decent supply of bulk factory loads throughout the last few years. Prices went up and have come down some, but seem to be trickling up again.

I am really wanting to get primers so I can reload a few wildcat rounds - I have a 6.5-06 that was my fathers and I am down to 4 hand loads for it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This came across my work email today (I work for the federal gov't). This is a house bill for a 6/16 hearing before the House Natural Resources s/c on Water, Oceans, and Wildlife.

H.R. 7398, Prohibit Wildlife Killing Contests Act of 2022
H.R. 7398 would prohibit any person from organizing, sponsoring, conducting, or participating in a wildlife killing contest on public land. A wildlife killing contest is defined as an event in which participants kill wildlife—excluding fish, shellfish, and crustaceans—for cash, prizes, or other inducements. This legislation would direct the heads of each public land management agency to issue regulations to carry out this prohibition. H.R. 7398 provides exceptions for field trials, contests that target ungulates or certain birds, and lethal control actions by State or Federal agencies that target invasive species, as identified by the National Invasive Species Information Center.

This legislation would likely have minimal impact on the Service’s administration of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as the Service generally does not permit wildlife killing contests on national wildlife refuges. While field trials, fishing tournaments, and contests for invasive species control are sometimes permitted on refuges, H.R. 7398 contains exceptions for these activities.

The Services suggests a technical edit to this legislation to clarify the exceptions for contests that target invasive and injurious species. Additionally, the Service suggests that the Subcommittee and the bill sponsor discuss this legislation with State fish and wildlife agencies, given the additional constraints it may place on their management priorities and discretion. Further, the Department recommends extending the timeframe outlined in H.R. 7398 from one year to two years, to develop new regulations and update all administrative policies necessary to carry out this bill.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Just got blanked on tags this year. Gonna have to get over-the-counter tags for elk and deer. A bit harder, for sure, but still good. Going to go to WY for antelope also.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Its that time of year again...making another 30 lbs of venison summer sausage. Smoking them in the morning and cooking all day. Will probably make one more batch before the end of the year. Cleaning out the freezer for more deer this fall. Only have about 50 lbs left. 20lbs of backstrap and 30 lbs of roasts etc.

20220617_191823.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Its that time of year again...making another 30 lbs of venison summer sausage. Smoking them in the morning and cooking all day. Will probably make one more batch before the end of the year. Cleaning out the freezer for more deer this fall. Only have about 50 lbs left. 20lbs of backstrap and 30 lbs of roasts etc.

View attachment 44404

I don’t hunt(so I probably shouldn’t even be in this thread) but really love this type of stuff. Anyone who makes their own sausage is good with me. That looks great.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I don’t hunt(so I probably shouldn’t even be in this thread) but really love this type of stuff. Anyone who makes their own sausage is good with me. That looks great.
It turned out great. I'm hanging it for a few days and will then vacuum pack and freeze it. This is the only way most of my gf's family will eat venison. But man do they eat it. I'd say they go through about 40-50 lbs per year. I really need a bigger smoker. The one Im using now is just barely able to accomodate 30 links. Hmm....I'll have to look into that since its HER family that eats this stuff. ;)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It turned out great. I'm hanging it for a few days and will then vacuum pack and freeze it. This is the only way most of my gf's family will eat venison. But man do they eat it. I'd say they go through about 40-50 lbs per year. I really need a bigger smoker. The one Im using now is just barely able to accomodate 30 links. Hmm....I'll have to look into that since its HER family that eats this stuff. ;)
Same... we mix it in with spaghetti, chili... anything like that

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
This came across my work email today (I work for the federal gov't). This is a house bill for a 6/16 hearing before the House Natural Resources s/c on Water, Oceans, and Wildlife.

H.R. 7398, Prohibit Wildlife Killing Contests Act of 2022
H.R. 7398 would prohibit any person from organizing, sponsoring, conducting, or participating in a wildlife killing contest on public land. A wildlife killing contest is defined as an event in which participants kill wildlife—excluding fish, shellfish, and crustaceans—for cash, prizes, or other inducements. This legislation would direct the heads of each public land management agency to issue regulations to carry out this prohibition. H.R. 7398 provides exceptions for field trials, contests that target ungulates or certain birds, and lethal control actions by State or Federal agencies that target invasive species, as identified by the National Invasive Species Information Center.

This legislation would likely have minimal impact on the Service’s administration of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as the Service generally does not permit wildlife killing contests on national wildlife refuges. While field trials, fishing tournaments, and contests for invasive species control are sometimes permitted on refuges, H.R. 7398 contains exceptions for these activities.

The Services suggests a technical edit to this legislation to clarify the exceptions for contests that target invasive and injurious species. Additionally, the Service suggests that the Subcommittee and the bill sponsor discuss this legislation with State fish and wildlife agencies, given the additional constraints it may place on their management priorities and discretion. Further, the Department recommends extending the timeframe outlined in H.R. 7398 from one year to two years, to develop new regulations and update all administrative policies necessary to carry out this bill.
This bill hasn't yet made it out of subcommittee. I don't see where anything has been introduced in the Senate. So the likelihood of it going anywhere before Nov is low, IMHO.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
In other news....holy chit! Day after tomorrow is the dove and squirrel opener!! Not going to go after the tree rats until after the first frost. Not gonna deal with the warbles.

But I have plans on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd for those little gray symbols of peace. Will be hitting public fields early on 9/1. Will be taking my stepson on a controlled lottery hunt on 9/2, and will be going to a different public field on 9/3.

Have got my light camo pulled out and treated with permethrin. Got my thermacell with multiple pads and butane. Got 150 rounds of hand loaded 12 ga, 1-1/4 oz 7.5s. And 150 rounds of store bought 1-1/8 oz 8s. Not sure I'm gonna lug the mojo doves out....prolly not.

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Its an annual hallmark of fall. Temps will only get cooler...leaves will only get more brightly colored. Deer season will be here before you know it. And college football is back. This is going to be a great weekend.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
In other news....holy chit! Day after tomorrow is the dove and squirrel opener!! Not going to go after the tree rats until after the first frost. Not gonna deal with the warbles.

But I have plans on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd for those little gray symbols of peace. Will be hitting public fields early on 9/1. Will be taking my stepson on a controlled lottery hunt on 9/2, and will be going to a different public field on 9/3.

Have got my light camo pulled out and treated with permethrin. Got my thermacell with multiple pads and butane. Got 150 rounds of hand loaded 12 ga, 1-1/4 oz 7.5s. And 150 rounds of store bought 1-1/8 oz 8s. Not sure I'm gonna lug the mojo doves out....prolly not.

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Its an annual hallmark of fall. Temps will only get cooler...leaves will only get more brightly colored. Deer season will be here before you know it. And college football is back. This is going to be a great weekend.
I talked to a good friend yesterday and he was driving home from South Carolina. The deer hunting season is open there.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’ve got a friend that hunts bear and elk out in Montana. When he gets the alligator tags he will hunt them too. The past few years he’s been down in the Everglades catching pythons. No thanks!

3E3ED67C-6EC8-4450-9B1F-22F9ECC6E032.jpeg

953B543D-4101-47AF-8584-1518720C4BEB.jpeg

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
This bill hasn't yet made it out of subcommittee. I don't see where anything has been introduced in the Senate. So the likelihood of it going anywhere before Nov is low, IMHO.

This bill makes it unlawful for any persons, except as provided below, to organize, sponsor, conduct, or participate in wildlife killing contests on public lands.

So, how many coyote calling/shooting contests and wild hog round ups for prizes are currently held on public lands?

I know a few years ago the state of Ga had a contest where folks that killed a coyote and documented it with the DNR were placed in a drawing for a lifetime license, but if there was no open season, the coyote killing had to take place on private land. In GA you can shoot coyotes and hogs on public during small game, deer and turkey seasons.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
This bill makes it unlawful for any persons, except as provided below, to organize, sponsor, conduct, or participate in wildlife killing contests on public lands.

So, how many coyote calling/shooting contests and wild hog round ups for prizes are currently held on public lands?

I know a few years ago the state of Ga had a contest where folks that killed a coyote and documented it with the DNR were placed in a drawing for a lifetime license, but if there was no open season, the coyote killing had to take place on private land. In GA you can shoot coyotes and hogs on public during small game, deer and turkey seasons.
It's yoters and prairie dogs out here in the rocky mountain west.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Update: Got 9 this morning. Missed 76. Reloaded 50 shells...going out to finish my limit this evening. Little gray bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb