The Hunting Thread...

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I was sitting in a ladder stand with 3 shooting lanes that crow foot, left middle and right. Had a doe cross left going west just feeding. Few minutes later to my right a doe crossed to the right, just feeding.

About 830 a doe scoots into the left lane, squatted and urinated, tail sticking straight out. The doe is fidgeting, looking back, circling, etc. So, I get the rifle up on the trigger stick, brace against the shooting rail and wait. A few moments later, last year's fawn pops out. I think, no way that fawn is causing that doe so much anxiety.

Then I see 4 legs under some tree limbs. Finally ol big boy clears the tree, turns at a good angle and I line up the shot and let it rip. Buck reacts and I know I have a good shot placement, but does take of running, towards me. Just as I bolt another round in the buck ducks into the brush and weeds. I wait 15 minutes to calm down, climb down and go find my buck laying 10 yards off the lane.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I was sitting in a ladder stand with 3 shooting lanes that crow foot, left middle and right. Had a doe cross left going west just feeding. Few minutes later to my right a doe crossed to the right, just feeding.

About 830 a doe scoots into the left lane, squatted and urinated, tail sticking straight out. The doe is fidgeting, looking back, circling, etc. So, I get the rifle up on the trigger stick, brace against the shooting rail and wait. A few moments later, last year's fawn pops out. I think, no way that fawn is causing that doe so much anxiety.

Then I see 4 legs under some tree limbs. Finally ol big boy clears the tree, turns at a good angle and I line up the shot and let it rip. Buck reacts and I know I have a good shot placement, but does take of running, towards me. Just as I bolt another round in the buck ducks into the brush and weeds. I wait 15 minutes to calm down, climb down and go find my buck laying 10 yards off the lane.
Sweet! What did you shoot him with? Range?

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Great choice on the 7mm. Flat shooting and great terminal performance. Got the job done!!
On one lane on the stand you can see 400 plus yards. But a miss on a 400 yard shot would go into the neighboring property, so I just watch walk the deer off since I don't know who or what could be in the background. The stand is elevated 14 feet, plus on a bit of higher ground, so a 250 - 300 yard shot should stay on our side of the fence.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
Better than a football game any day of the week.
37eb42d716ee1c311bcab5261ea7ced2.jpg
4097bac987a0698db96e230cfa7f68f9.jpg
d489c85ea29c65a36f7af00c11594d68.jpg
d24435e1c587a4dc66e49da26191d813.jpg
Fine Buck!! Congrats!

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Nice Elk and Dahl Sheep!! Congrats to your buddies! Gotta walk and climb a lot of miles to get either of those animals.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
The spike buck I killed in LA running dogs last week.

Well, part of him.

He qualified for the Spoon & Crockpot Club.

Used the Mississippi roast recipe to make venison stew. 20221221_073424.jpg 20221221_162521.jpg

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
Geez. Attaching the pics is giving me a fit. Finally got one down in GA. Not a beast but a solid GA buck. Thought I missed due to suffering from buck fever. I had almost given up looking for him and was sick to my stomach when I finally found him. Then back to pure excitement and relief. I ended up hitting him right where I wanted (behind the arm pit) trying to double lung him. Shooting Browning 7mm. 70 yards. No blood trail found. Bullet didn’t exit. Happy hunter here! More cube steak!!
Going back for one more hunt Mon-Wed. Merry Christmas all.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Holy crap thats a nice buck. Love those brow tines. Congrats to you for sticking with the search and not giving up. When you get him processed, tell us where the bullet went. A 7mm at 70 yards should tear the hell out of the dirt on the other side of the deer.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Geez. Attaching the pics is giving me a fit. Finally got one down in GA. Not a beast but a solid GA buck. Thought I missed due to suffering from buck fever. I had almost given up looking for him and was sick to my stomach when I finally found him. Then back to pure excitement and relief. I ended up hitting him right where I wanted (behind the arm pit) trying to double lung him. Shooting Browning 7mm. 70 yards. No blood trail found. Bullet didn’t exit. Happy hunter here! More cube steak!!
Going back for one more hunt Mon-Wed. Merry Christmas all.

I like those red foreheads frequently seen on GA bucks.

Spearo Gator

I kill fish
Nov 17, 2018
Holy crap thats a nice buck. Love those brow tines. Congrats to you for sticking with the search and not giving up. When you get him processed, tell us where the bullet went. A 7mm at 70 yards should tear the hell out of the dirt on the other side of the deer.
Thanks and me too on the brow tines! He actually has 2 small kickers on the back side of each tine big enough to put a ring on. So I guess “technically” you could call him a 10…? I’m calling him an 8.
I’m ashamed to say it but thus far I do not process my own deer. I take it to a local place so unfortunately I won’t know where the bullet ended up. I do want to start doing my own though.
I can tell you there wasn’t one drop of blood anywhere which is why I couldn’t initially find him and I was by myself. Blood on the ground in pic was from his mouth.
He ran less than 100 yards and there was a spike out as well. They were zig zagging a little as they ran and in the heat of the moment I wasn’t sure who went where.
I could barely climb down from the stand my knees were shaking so bad. Pure adrenaline and excitement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb