The Kyle Trask Thread

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Will Miles thinks Kyle Trask can run the read option pretty well since that was what they were running in HS.
Will Myles thinks Trash can run the option pretty well since they ran the option at his HS and didnt play him bc he couldnt run?

Solid analysis.

It is also pretty funny given the previous mantra was "he was a prostyle QB stuck at a spread option school."

leogator

May 5, 2018
Will Myles thinks Trash can run the option pretty well since they ran the option at his HS and didnt play him bc he couldnt run?

Solid analysis.
Well the guy in front of him could run like the wind. But at least he can read the DE on an option play. We'll see what Franks can do. If Trask can get us 4 yds in an option play I'm OK with it. Just to keep the defense from concentrating on the RB. Is he a threat for a 80 yard run? No.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Here is the bottom line. We still don't have a QB until EJ is ready. I am proud of Trask for coming here with very limited experience and working his butt off to try and earn his position. It may really bother the donk but the facts are the kid is not that bad. Like I have said before, I don't think he is an SEC caliber QB but I find it funny that he is putting so much pressure on our 4 star starter. I will be pulling for the underdog to have success.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Solid analysis.

It is also pretty funny given the previous mantra was "he was a prostyle QB stuck at a spread option school."
Will and Leo just walked into that one. Even I could have knocked that out of the park. That was so easy I shouldn't have even liked it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Will and Leo just walked into that one. Even I could have knocked that out of the park. That was so easy I shouldn't have even liked it.
Will was giving the best case arguments for a position, then the negatives. It isnt his "analysis" of what he thinks WILL happen. He did one for each ofnthe QBs.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Can Trask run the option the way Mullen wants? No. Just look at the QB he signed and the ones he is recruiting. Can he be a guy that has a consistent stat line of 7-10 carries with a 35-40 yard per game average? Due to his size, possibly. I won't say yes because it depends on his running style which I've never seen. At 235-240 pounds, he might be able to be a bulldozer type. Maybe this is wrong, but I look at it this way. Grier is an athletic guy who could get you yards running if a play broke down. But, can he run the option? Not really. So it is with Trask. We will find out very soon.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's really a Flex Option as opposed to Read Option. You flex to your quarterback's strengths.

Problem is we don't know if Trask has any.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Can Trask run the option the way Mullen wants? No. Just look at the QB he signed and the ones he is recruiting. Can he be a guy that has a consistent stat line of 7-10 carries with a 35-40 yard per game average? Due to his size, possibly. I won't say yes because it depends on his running style which I've never seen. At 235-240 pounds, he might be able to be a bulldozer type. Maybe this is wrong, but I look at it this way. Grier is an athletic guy who could get you yards running if a play broke down. But, can he run the option? Not really. So it is with Trask. We will find out very soon.

He had a few designed QB runs in his Senior highlights, I wonder why they did not include the option reads.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He had a few designed QB runs in his Senior highlights, I wonder why they did not include the option reads.

Really hard to swallow that we offered a guy a scholly when a good part of his "highlight" film is playing against his own freshmen scout squad and who couldnt land offers from North Texas or Austin Peay.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
Really hard to swallow that we offered a guy a scholly when a good part of his "highlight" film is playing against his own freshmen scout squad.
He came to FNL two times and did very well. He also went to the Dallas Opening regionals.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Really hard to swallow that we offered a guy a scholly when a good part of his "highlight" film is playing against his own freshmen scout squad.
Hard to swallow the fact that we offered FF based on his film that consisted on heaving it up so that his 4.5/40, 6'4" wide receiver Gavin could run under. No semblance of routes or anything.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He came to FNL two times and did very well. He also went to the Dallas Opening regionals.

So he did well in a non padded "practice" and has no real game film from High School against the other teams #1s... But lets get excited over the fact he came to two practices... we aren't taking about actual games, we are talking about a practice.

giphy.gif

leogator

May 5, 2018
So he did well in a non padded "practice" and has no real game film from High School against the other teams #1s... But lets get excited over the fact he came to two practices... we aren't taking about actual games, we are talking about a practice.
And yet recruiting analysts base their recruiting rankings on the very same practices.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And yet recruiting analysts base their recruiting rankings on the very same practices.

So what your argument is now, is that they do not take game play into account when doing recruiting analysis?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to swallow the fact that we offered FF based on his film that consisted on heaving it up so that his 4.5/40, 6'4" wide receiver Gavin could run under. No semblance of routes or anything.
Right. Franks is the project type QB you take bc he is the best backup option or bc you think you can fix him and covet the arm maybe. He is the backup choice to Eason or similar blue chip QB.

I always prefer proven champions (winners win) who are accurate passers first, even measurables like speed, arm strength etc.

But some of you are more concerned w people being 6'5" and having a cannon arm. I guess you got what you wanted.

leogator

May 5, 2018
So what your argument is now, is that they do not take game play into account when doing recruiting analysis?
I am very skeptical that most of them do. Otherwise how could they ever rated Malik Davis a 3*? Malik Davis did not go to any camps. How could you not look at the 7029 yds rushing?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And B) if we are going just by practices... how schitty was he in those non padded practices if he was only a 2* QB... couldn't thrown without pads and a pass rush?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.