The Last Dance: 1997-98 Bulls

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This may be the worst take on the NBA I've ever seen. Magic and Bird created low-scoring thug ball? :crazy: You evidently never saw the crazy scores in mid-80's NBA, especially from the Lakers. Sure the league was physical, but it was DETROIT that created the thug-foul style starting in the early to mid-80's (when they added Laimbeer in '82 and Mahorn in '85), not Magic and Bird.

I still prefer that style of ball over the garbage we see now. I can't watch the current NBA.
I quit watching after the Bird/Magic era. Lost interest watching the Bulls dominate and then when all defense went out the window and the flopping started I would rather watch lawn darts.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
This may be the worst take on the NBA I've ever seen. Magic and Bird created low-scoring thug ball? :crazy: You evidently never saw the crazy scores in mid-80's NBA, especially from the Lakers. Sure the league was physical, but it was DETROIT that created the thug-foul style starting in the early to mid-80's (when they added Laimbeer in '82 and Mahorn in '85), not Magic and Bird.

I still prefer that style of ball over the garbage we see now. I can't watch the current NBA.

You’re too young. Magic and Bird literally saved the NBA from the disaster of the 70’s. They brought uptempo offense with a focus on balanced scoring and passing. There was a premium placed on skill levels. As a result they won 8 NBA championships.

The 70’s were horribly boring and damn near killed the league.

The Pistons and later the Knicks ushered in the thug ball. Although the Pistons did have a few that played real defense...like Dumars and Rodman.

The rest of the league had an “enforcer” on every team but both offenses and defenses were subpar. The Bulls saved the league in the 90’s meaning they saved what Magic and Bird created in the 80’s. They made basketball fun again.

Not sure what you are talking about. I was living in SoCal in the 80’s and went to every Laker game I could get to. Ever hear of Showtime? Trust me there was no showtime in the 70’s and the 90’s were on shaky ground but for the Bulls.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You’re too young. Magic and Bird literally saved the NBA from the disaster of the 70’s. They brought uptempo offense with a focus on balanced scoring and passing. There was a premium placed on skill levels. As a result they won 8 NBA championships.

The 70’s were horribly boring and damn near killed the league.

The Pistons and later the Knicks ushered in the thug ball. Although the Pistons did have a few that played real defense...like Dumars and Rodman.

The rest of the league had an “enforcer” on every team but both offenses and defenses were subpar. The Bulls saved the league in the 90’s meaning they saved what Magic and Bird created in the 80’s. They made basketball fun again.

Not sure what you are talking about. I was living in SoCal in the 80’s and went to every Laker game I could get to. Ever hear of Showtime? Trust me there was no showtime in the 70’s and the 90’s were on shaky ground but for the Bulls.
I think I finally figured out what you were trying to say here after the 5th reading. You need to make your points more clear, birthday boy.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The 80s were the best basketball - 23 teams, not the 30 there are now - even with the influx of quality Europlay, add another 100 players to the NBA dilutes things. The three point line and math has brought a conformity of threes and dunks that renders post play irrelevant, which is a shame so now we only get one flavor of basketball.

Add in the political and global overtones and the league has lost a lot of the fan base that used to think the NBA was Fannnnntastic!

I still love the league and watch nightly, but I can see how this has come to be.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The 80s were the best basketball - 23 teams, not the 30 there are now - even with the influx of quality Europlay, add another 100 players to the NBA dilutes things. The three point line and math has brought a conformity of threes and dunks that renders post play irrelevant, which is a shame so now we only get one flavor of basketball.

Add in the political and global overtones and the league has lost a lot of the fan base that used to think the NBA was Fannnnntastic!

I still love the league and watch nightly, but I can see how this has come to be.
I gave you a like because of your comment on how political the league has gotten. But I couldn't imagine not having dunks and 3s.

I'll tell you another thing that makes it unwatchable is the flopping and traveling they can get away with. If James Harden is playing, I can't hardly watch that ****. He averages 30 points a game and 20 of em come from bullshcit fouls.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I gave you a like because of your comment on how political the league has gotten. But I couldn't imagine not having dunks and 3s.

I'll tell you another thing that makes it unwatchable is the flopping and traveling they can get away with. If James Harden is playing, I can't hardly watch that ****. He averages 30 points a game and 20 of em come from bullshcit fouls.
Dunks and threes are great, but math has ruled, correctly, that any other shot is so inefficient, so this is all we get now in basketball - it makes for bland basketball, though better than a Mike White offense.

The flopping is so dumb and the league has a toothless policy on it. Harsher penalties need to be given, but the players won't sign off on it. Just another brick in the wall for older fans leaving the game.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Flopping has been reduced significantly the past couple of years and the strategy has been brilliant....no penalty....just no call. Now you look like an idiot as you lay on the floor as your man scored easily.

What has not been fixed is traveling. Still happens frequently with many offenders just as those palming the ball.

As far as Harden goes....I just can’t watch him...and I love the NBA.

As far as 3’s go I used to hate them because I thought they were bad shots. Today there are many players that have made it a good shot so even as a coach I have evolved. The game continues to change as players get bigger, stronger, faster, jump higher and more skilled.

As an old guy I look at tape at some of my heroes as a kid and see the difference. Slower, no off hand to speak of and basically a set shot. Yet I loved it just as the kids do now with dunks and 3’s.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with defender flopping when he's trying to sell a charge. That's just the only way it's ever gonna be called. What i have a problem with is this crap when someone shoots a 3 and the defender jumps then the shooter leans into the defender. It's bull crap and usually bails out a bad shot. They've just gotten to where they call to many tick tacky fouls

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Easy solution - shot made inside the key is worth 4 points, outside the key but inside the arc is 3 points, and outside the arc is 2 points.
This would be crazy fun to watch.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I have no problem with defender flopping when he's trying to sell a charge. That's just the only way it's ever gonna be called. What i have a problem with is this crap when someone shoots a 3 and the defender jumps then the shooter leans into the defender. It's bull crap and usually bails out a bad shot. They've just gotten to where they call to many tick tacky fouls

Agreed....those are horrible. Harden and Ginobli mastered that move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.