The Lindsay Scott Curse

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You know what? They can have their replay of "Run Lindsay! Run!" all they want. They can sit and listen to that damn thing over and over like an echo chamber. As for me, I'm going to call it the "Lindsay Scott curse." Why? Since 1980 our record with them is 21 and 13. They've won four SEC championships, been division champs seven times, national champions once [the other time 1942], and they have had two Heisman trophy winners in their history[one in 1942] . We have nine SEC championships [since 1980], been division champs twelve times, three time national champions, and we've had three Heisman trophy winners in our history [SOS's in 1966]. Yeah, as far as I'm concerned Lindsay Scott is the best thing that ever happened to us. GO GATORS.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Huh?

I'd say hiring Ray Goff by UGA or us hiring Spurrier was "the best thing that ever happened to us" as far as this series goes (and hiring Spurrier was probably THE BEST thing that ever happened to us). We only won 1 game in the 80's vs them.....so we went, what 1-8 after the Run Lyndsay Run? Bad analogy....

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
SOS took it to another level and add the incompetence of Goff. Even with Richt they're not much better off. Heck just ask any Dawg right now.

PaulDrake

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
BMF;n97253 said:
Huh?

I'd say hiring Ray Goff by UGA or us hiring Spurrier was "the best thing that ever happened to us" as far as this series goes (and hiring Spurrier was probably THE BEST thing that ever happened to us). We only won 1 game in the 80's vs them.....so we went, what 1-8 after the Run Lyndsay Run? Bad analogy....

Guys, it was metaphorical. Of course Spurrier's hire was the best thing. I'm just talking about every time I go through RV city at the game some jackass is playing that Munson-Scott thing over a loud speaker on a loop like its some kind of defining moment in the rivalry. As fate would have it we hire SOS 10 years later and Meyer and as for the rivalry the rest is history. Metaphorical guys, metaphorical. He's like the curse of the Bambino. That's what I meant.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n97253 said:
Huh?

We actually won 2 in the 80's, 1984 and 1986, I was at both of those, as well the 1985 game where we went in ranked #1 and lost 24-3.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n97253 said:
Huh?

WRONG . . . 1984, the 27-0 blowout, and two years later, Kerwin led us to (I believe it was) 31-14 in 196. I'm pretty sure that we had 31.

Maillot Jaune

Oct 14, 2014
PaulDrake;n97242 said:
You know what? They can have their replay of "Run Lindsay! Run!" all they want. They can sit and listen to that damn thing over and over like an echo chamber. As for me, I'm going to call it the "Lindsay Scott curse." Why? Since 1980 our record with them is 21 and 13. They've won four SEC championships, been division champs seven times, national champions once [the other time 1942], and they have had two Heisman trophy winners in their history[one in 1942] . We have nine SEC championships [since 1980], been division champs twelve times, three time national champions, and we've had three Heisman trophy winners in our history [SOS's in 1966]. Yeah, as far as I'm concerned Lindsay Scott is the best thing that ever happened to us. GO GATORS.

I get your point. While the 80's were not a great decade, the '84 game was cathartic, having lost so many close ones and not having won since Wes Chandler.

In the same vein, this weekend's win was the biggest upset in the UF/UGA series that I can remember, for either team. I don't recall a bigger gap in the rankings where the far lower (and I mean FAR lower) team won, and especially in such dominating fashion. Still seems surreal.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Maillot Jaune;n97859 said:
I get your point. While the 80's were not a great decade, the '84 game was cathartic, having lost so many close ones and not having won since Wes Chandler.

In the same vein, this weekend's win was the biggest upset in the UF/UGA series that I can remember, for either team. I don't recall a bigger gap in the rankings where the far lower (and I mean FAR lower) team won, and especially in such dominating fashion. Still seems surreal.

2002 was pretty close. We're not that much different than that team, record wise, and I believe we entered unranked and they were #5. We had 3 losses, including 2 blowouts, and a head scratcher(OM). Also had a really close game against Uk at home and an upset over the vols in Neyland. And the big win in Jax effectively killed the bulldogs' season. Similarities are pretty crazy now that I think about it.

2005 was fairly close to the same type of upset as well.

But, as you said, in neither case did we dominate like Saturday. I still think it's hilarious that they still haven't had a win of more than 11 points over us since '97, yet we've absolutely dismantled them numerous times, and even strolled out with an 18 point win with one of our worst teams. I can't even imagine how horrible it must feel to see stats like that.:lol:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n97242 said:

As someone who was at eye level about 30 yards away waiting to jump the fence to tear down the goal posts when Scott caught that f*****g pass, I am going to respectfully disagree.

Maillot Jaune

Oct 14, 2014
soflagator;n97860 said:
2002 was pretty close. We're not that much different than that team, record wise, and I believe we entered unranked and they were #5. We had 3 losses, including 2 blowouts, and a head scratcher(OM). Also had a really close game against Uk at home and an upset over the vols in Neyland. And the big win in Jax effectively killed the bulldogs' season. Similarities are pretty crazy now that I think about it.

2005 was fairly close to the same type of upset as well.

But, as you said, in neither case did we dominate like Saturday. I still think it's hilarious that they still haven't had a win of more than 11 points over us since '97, yet we've absolutely dismantled them numerous times, and even strolled out with an 18 point win with one of our worst teams. I can't even imagine how horrible it must feel to see stats like that.:lol:

The '02 and '05 teams may have had similar records to this team, but the level of play is not even close. Plus coming off a 4-8 season with the coach on the way out, this year's team is waning while Zook and OM were just getting started. This year's team isn't in the league of the '02 or '05 team while this year's UGA team was on a roll. Hell, this year's team has to play well from here on out to make a bowl.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n97860 said:
I still think it's hilarious that they still haven't had a win of more than 11 points over us since '97, yet we've absolutely dismantled them numerous times, and even strolled out with an 18 point win with one of our worst teams. I can't even imagine how horrible it must feel to see stats like that.:lol:
Muschamp might be 1-3 against UGA, but after Saturday's game, he's outscored them by 3 points in the 4 games. :dance:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n97939 said:
Muschamp might be 1-3 against UGA, but after Saturday's game, he's outscored them by 3 points in the 4 games. :dance:

Again, just embarrassing. Someone who trolls their sites needs to post this. May send them over the edge.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
SavannahGator;n97520 said:
WRONG . . . 1984, the 27-0 blowout, and two years later, Kerwin led us to (I believe it was) 31-14 in 196. I'm pretty sure that we had 31.

Oh gee, thanks for pointing that out to me. 2-8 vs. 1-9. I was 14 years old in 1984. The point is that HIS analogy is WRONG! After the Scott play we still lost 80% of the FL/GA games. He says "metaphorically". Ten years earlier?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I will explain this once. The Lindsey Scott play was just the culmination of many ga games we played. Our hopes would soar and then Dooley and company would smack them down. It was like a crappy record replaying over and over. It all came to a head when uga lucked out with that play. Not ever really explained and pointed out was over those million years when Dooley was ruining our seasons was his using up much of the future luck UGA would need to stay close to us. In essence VD appropriated much of UGA's good fortune for the next umpteen years using it up during his tenure. Which is why in the last 25 years we have essentially DOMINATED this series. And of course there was SOS ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n97415 said:
We actually won 2 in the 80's, 1984 and 1986, I was at both of those, as well the 1985 game where we went in ranked #1 and lost 24-3.
Awesomeness.

I was so happy when Mushchimp said he wanted to bring back the 80s Gator teams. Mission accomplished!!!!

PaulDrake

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Frank Frangie said something about that 1980 Lindsay Scott game I did not know on Monday. We were the huge underdog in that game and Mike Shanahan was Pell's OC. Apparently Shanahan introduced something for the first time that had UGA off balance most oft he game -- the spread offense. It was only at the end when Ballou hit Scott they pulled it off. Didn't know that about Shanahan and the spread offense. I just remembered being devastated afterwards....

Maillot Jaune

Oct 14, 2014
PaulDrake;n98278 said:
Frank Frangie said something about that 1980 Lindsay Scott game I did not know on Monday. We were the huge underdog in that game and Mike Shanahan was Pell's OC. Apparently Shanahan introduced something for the first time that had UGA off balance most oft he game -- the spread offense. It was only at the end when Ballou hit Scott they pulled it off. Didn't know that about Shanahan and the spread offense. I just remembered being devastated afterwards....

Coming off a zero win season in '79 we were huge underdogs to almost everyone. Pell got 8 wins that year.....shows what one good coach can do in a short period of time. I remember Shanahan being the OC. Calling that offense a spread is a bit of a reach, but it wasn't the I or a wishbone!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I remember the first game that season in Tampa (hottest game I ever went to) and how the offense was killing Cal. who we played.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It took courage just to open this thread. Now I feel dirty.... and not in the good way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.