The Liquid-Fluoride Thorium Reactor (LFTR) Concept is our Future

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
LFTR Overview – Energy From Thorium

Conclusion

The liquid-fluoride thorium reactor concept has strong safety advantages over today’s nuclear reactors and the potential to implement a highly efficient and sustainable fuel cycle. It can potentially produce valuable products in addition to electrical energy that will enhance its competitiveness relative to low-cost natural gas and petroleum. The capital cost structure of a LFTR would make it attractive to regulated electrical utilities that desire to maximize shareholder return while providing low-cost electrical energy to the ratepayers in their service area.

China is already building one...Said to be online soon.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The capital cost of building a new reactor (of any kind) is simply too high due to regulation in our country. Add in the public fear factor and you'll never have support. The general public thinks nuclear power is more dangerous than smoking and vehicle accidents, which is flat out retarded. It's just never going to happen.

As the article states, 'molten salt mixtures" have been used for moderator and coolant for nuclear reactors for a very long time. Sodium cooled reactors have been used since the early 50s and even in some US nuke subs, a good 10 years before fluorine. There are some obvious disadvantages with using sodium. Fluoride solves some issues with sodium, but adds plenty more. Mainly that is freezes at 600 degrees F. And from what I understand, fluoride related things pose a near impossible long term storage issue.

Dont worry nola, windmills, solar panels, and harnessing cow farts will solve all our future energy demands. If we could only harness the power of tides!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The capital cost of building a new reactor (of any kind) is simply too high due to regulation in our country. Add in the public fear factor and you'll never have support. The general public thinks nuclear power is more dangerous than smoking and vehicle accidents, which is flat out retarded. It's just never going to happen.

As the article states, 'molten salt mixtures" have been used for moderator and coolant for nuclear reactors for a very long time. Sodium cooled reactors have been used since the early 50s and even in some US nuke subs, a good 10 years before fluorine. There are some obvious disadvantages with using sodium. Fluoride solves some issues with sodium, but adds plenty more. Mainly that is freezes at 600 degrees F. And from what I understand, fluoride related things pose a near impossible long term storage issue.

Dont worry nola, windmills, solar panels, and harnessing cow farts will solve all our future energy demands. If we could only harness the power of tides!

giphy.gif

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Totally disagree...regulation based on High Pressure Reactors.

China is doing it and will kick our arse with it...then we might look into it.

This is Edison vs Tesla all over again...follow the money...This is about fuel rods... LFTR does not use them.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Yeah...that's the attitude.

Like No Till Farming, Industrial Composting, Concrete Housing...the list goes on.

LFTR can also produce cheap desalination... FRESH WATER...and can burn spent NUKE WASTE

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah...that's the attitude.

Like No Till Farming, Industrial Composting, Concrete Housing...the list goes on.

LFTR can also produce cheap desalination... FRESH WATER...and can burn spent NUKE WASTE

You’re arguing about nukes with a trained, professional nuclear scientist... and acting like you know more about it than he does.

:facepalm:

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You’re arguing about nukes with a trained, professional nuclear scientist... and acting like you know more about it than he does.

He is taking the Atomic Energy Commission's position....his arguments are their talking points...look it up.

I don't know more...so do you agree with Environmental Scientists?

I've been taught loads of things in my field that are incorrect...much of the human nutrition info is incorrect.

L Boy claims to be an economist...he's far from it.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Then read the links and get back to me.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Then read the links and get back to me.

You quoted and replied to the same post twice? :facepalm:

Son, we live in a world that has energy needs, and those needs have to be supported by men with nuclear engineering degrees. Who's gonna do it? You? You, @CaribGator? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Thorium, and you curse @bradgator2. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that not considering Thorium as an option, while tragic, probably saves lives; and @bradgator2 ‘s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to all of us, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at tinfoil hat wearing parties, you want @bradgator2 on that reactor -- you need him on that reactor.

We use words like "science," "facts," "reality." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent actually doing something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to read your ridiculous linked stories or explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the electric blanket of the very energy that is provided and then questions the manner in which it is provided.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a real degree, not growing beans in a cup, and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Son, we live in a world that has energy needs, and those needs have to be supported by men with nuclear engineering degrees. Who's gonna do it? You? You, @CaribGator? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Thorium, and you curse @bradgator2. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that not considering Thorium as an option, while tragic, probably saves lives; and @bradgator2 ‘s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to all of us, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at tinfoil hat wearing parties, you want @bradgator2 on that reactor -- you need him on that reactor.'

We use words like "science," "facts," "reality." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent actually doing something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to read your ridiculous linked stories or explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the electric blanket of the very energy that is provided and then questions the manner in which it is provided.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a real degree, not growing beans in a cup, and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!

whoa now Sunbather of Bunghole , don't drag me in to this fantasy world you live in. First off, you are only a couple of generations removed from your people scavenging for berries and heating your teepee with buffalo dung. Don't be trying to appropriate the 'science," "facts," & "reality," of the white man.

That said,, "science," "facts," & "reality" are controlled and align with whatever power is in control at any given point in time. a few examples because i can't possibly fathom a man of your importance clicking on a link to read something. Galileo was imprisoned for stating the earth revolved around the sun, Scientists testified in Congressional hearings that lead was perfectly safe... there are untold examples where later in history , what was accepted as 'fact', & 'science' , was proven to be wrong. and in most cases it was because of those that had interest in keeping the status quo used their power to squash the truth from becoming common knowledge.

So i suggest you get off your high horse,,*speaking about horses,, you guys never thanked the Spanish for bringing them, and that was another cultural appropriation that you guys did, riding horses..* and realize people like me build nuclear power plants. See St. Lucie Nuclear Plant, The nuclear engineers and such aren't squat without construction workers.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at tinfoil hat wearing parties, you want @bradgator2 on that reactor -- you need him on that reactor.

iu

Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Alex.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

I'm not your son...I'm 61

And I work with a Nuke Engineer who told me about it.

My sister retired from TVA.

And what's your degree?

Maybe your one of those ELITE grads.

Sure you won't read the links...written by Nuke Engineers...go figure

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not your son...I'm 61

And I work with a Nuke Engineer who told me about it.

My sister retired from TVA.

And what's your degree?

Maybe your one of those ELITE grads.

Sure you won't read the links...written by Nuke Engineers...go figure

Who’s going to tell him? :lol:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Truly, the only and best way for energy is nuclear. It’s not even a second guess.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Truly, the only and best way for energy is nuclear. It’s not even a second guess.

Scientifically, it’s the only real solution. But you know how this country works. 100 years from now, they’ll be looking back in history laughing at our mistakes.... and windmills will be at the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator