Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This keeps coming up. So here it is:

Recruiting: The myth of “showing it on the field.” - Read and Reaction

I can’t imagine that Mullen is such a bad recruiter that this holds up for much longer. I suspect he’s going to get a couple of elite recruits to commit during Friday Night Lights, which will not only bring his averages way down, but will quiet the masses for at least a while. Then those percentage increases make things look a lot better, which is why I’ve advocated for not judging his recruiting until after July is over.

But the point remains, Mullen’s going to have to sell the program and sell himself prior to doing anything on the field. Unfortunately for Mullen, the statistics indicate that – at least for the 2019 class – what happens on the field will have much less of an effect than how he sells it prior to ever setting foot on it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
While we're at it, striking out at FNL isn't so bad, but striking out in general is.

Is it a big deal that nobody committed following Friday Night Lights? - Read and Reaction

I hope Mullen bucks all of the historical precedents that I – and my colleagues – keep pointing towards.

• Rarely does a coach have a lower bump recruiting class than his transition recruiting class (Mullen’s already done it once, according to Bill Sikes).
  • Rarely does the quality of a recruiting class improve significantly after the season starts.
  • Rarely does a Florida coach bring in a massive haul immediately after Friday Night Lights.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen somehow got his self into the 5% of power 5 coaches that actually have worse 2nd and 3rd classes than the time shortened 1st class when he was at Miss State and seems to be following the same pattern here so far.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Mullen somehow got his self into the 5% of power 5 coaches that actually have worse 2nd and 3rd classes than the time shortened 1st class when he was at Miss State and seems to be following the same pattern here so far.

Fooley 1.0 and Fooley 2.0. It is what we do here!!!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
"I was going to say that Shane Mathews was not a myth. When the lights came on (the field) he was the real deal.........but just more pre season and recruiting angst.........

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"I was going to say that Shane Mathews was not a myth. When the lights came on (the field) he was the real deal.........but just more pre season and recruiting angst.........
Are you in the correct thread?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

It’s like someone on here said in the recruiting thread, the longer Mullen’s staff recruits someone, the less likely they are to come. Maybe it explains why his transition classes were better than his following classes. He must really be a huge turn off the longer a recruit is around him and the staff.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Is there some reason why this garbage couldn't have been added to one of the other recruiting threads?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry Nav, I didn't realize we only had one recruiting thread.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It’s like someone on here said in the recruiting thread, the longer Mullen’s staff recruits someone, the less likely they are to come. Maybe it explains why his transition classes were better than his following classes. He must really be a huge turn off the longer a recruit is around him and the staff.

Exactly! upload_2018-7-30_20-42-31.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator