The National Signing Day Thread

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I read an article a few days ago that said schools are under a strict mandate to sign 25 max this year. I'm anxious to see if the usual violators (Alabama, Ole mss and Tennessee) as well as others abide by the mandate or just ignore it as in past years. Can anyone confirm this and how will it impact our numbers.

This is an SEC rule, correct? What have conference officials actually done to enforce the rules?

I think the bigger issue should be schools signing more scholarships than are available (via those mysterious medical hardships, etc). If you’re 28 players short of 85, you should be allowed to sign 28.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This is an SEC rule, correct? What have conference officials actually done to enforce the rules?

I think the bigger issue should be schools signing more scholarships than are available (via those mysterious medical hardships, etc). If you’re 28 players short of 85, you should be allowed to sign 28.

You should and I don't know that your not allowed. The 25 rule (Saban rule) was meant to stop over signing. The implication being that if you have more than 25 spots available then something fishy is going on. The question is how is the rule written.

Reading for extra credit:
https://scout.com/college/ohio-state/Board/104370/Contents/25-signing-rule-54562771

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Fat lazy pile of shyt.

Even the opposing coaches commented about how he didn't want to put the effort into recruiting.

Or coaching.

It was more than just laziness in recruiting. Mac has some serious interpersonal issues. I have never talked to him, but I know many who have, and most all of them feel there is something "off" about him. I know a few high school coaches who believe the guy has Aspergers or is possibly autistic. One of the craziest stories was from a friend's son, who was being recruited by Mac. I promised my buddy I'd never give specific details about him or his son. He doesn't want to burn any bridges with UF, since he's a high school coach in the state. Here's how the meeting went down:

They went to Gainesville for an official visit last year. While eating in a banquet room with the rest of the recruits and their families, etc., Mac walked thru the room with what my buddy believed were GAs, and they didn't stop to speak with anyone their. However as they passed my buddy's table, Mac stopped and whispered something to the GA. Then Mac and his guys kept walking. About 5 minutes later, the GA that Mac whispered to came back into the banquet hall to my buddy's table. He said that Mac wanted to speak to his son one on one in the stairwell outside the banquet room. My buddy's son got up and walked out to meet Mac. The GA stayed at the table blabbing to my buddy about how rare it was for Mac to actually talk to a recruit like that. He actually said that Mac didn't like talking to recruits one on one. The GA made it out like my buddy and his son should feel honored and special because of it. When the kid went into the stairwell to meet Mac, he stuck out his hand to shake Mac's, but Mac just stood there straight as an arrow and looked into his chest, almost like he was looking through the kid. The kid said that Mac never looked him in the eye, and only said this: " _________, we are glad you are here, and we hope you have a good visit."
Then Mac walked up the stairs and left. The kid was stunned. When he went back to his table, my buddy was all smiles and stoked about it, until he asked his son how it went. My buddy's son said this: "Dad, I think he is retarded." After explaining how it went down, they got up and left, and never considered the Gators for another moment after.

I was stunned when I first heard the story, but it is 100% true.

GatorWarfare

Nov 11, 2017
It was more than just laziness in recruiting. Mac has some serious interpersonal issues. I have never talked to him, but I know many who have, and most all of them feel there is something "off" about him. I know a few high school coaches who believe the guy has Aspergers or is possibly autistic. One of the craziest stories was from a friend's son, who was being recruited by Mac. I promised my buddy I'd never give specific details about him or his son. He doesn't want to burn any bridges with UF, since he's a high school coach in the state. Here's how the meeting went down:

They went to Gainesville for an official visit last year. While eating in a banquet room with the rest of the recruits and their families, etc., Mac walked thru the room with what my buddy believed were GAs, and they didn't stop to speak with anyone their. However as they passed my buddy's table, Mac stopped and whispered something to the GA. Then Mac and his guys kept walking. About 5 minutes later, the GA that Mac whispered to came back into the banquet hall to my buddy's table. He said that Mac wanted to speak to his son one on one in the stairwell outside the banquet room. My buddy's son got up and walked out to meet Mac. The GA stayed at the table blabbing to my buddy about how rare it was for Mac to actually talk to a recruit like that. He actually said that Mac didn't like talking to recruits one on one. The GA made it out like my buddy and his son should feel honored and special because of it. When the kid went into the stairwell to meet Mac, he stuck out his hand to shake Mac's, but Mac just stood there straight as an arrow and looked into his chest, almost like he was looking through the kid. The kid said that Mac never looked him in the eye, and only said this: " _________, we are glad you are here, and we hope you have a good visit."
Then Mac walked up the stairs and left. The kid was stunned. When he went back to his table, my buddy was all smiles and stoked about it, until he asked his son how it went. My buddy's son said this: "Dad, I think he is retarded." After explaining how it went down, they got up and left, and never considered the Gators for another moment after.

I don't want to be this guy because no one could know how credible this story is, but this sounds about right. It's like Mac just felt that recruits would just fall into his lap. Hence why we didn't recruit well the past three years. I don't think we can thank Mac for any recruit...the ones we got were from connections to staff members (like any 3 star with a pulse in Miami getting offered by Shannon). I think we're lucky we got who we got. It's amazing to think that staff was able to get guys like Tyrie Cleveland from Texas and Elijah Conliffe from Virginia.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This seems to say that you could get away with 28 new scholarships:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning
NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.1 limits FBS football programs to a total number of scholarships to 85 "counters" annually including 25 scholarships for "initial counters." Counters (NCAA Bylaw 15.02.3) are individuals who are receiving institutional financial aid that is countable against the aid limitations in a sport, initial counters (NCAA Bylaw 15.02.3.1) are individuals who are receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time. Bylaw 13.9.2.3 limits schools to signing 28 NLI from initial signing day through May 31.[1]

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

They gave the man a $7.5 million buyout. The idea that he dazzled Foley in interviews is beyond belief.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I don't want to be this guy because no one could know how credible this story is, but this sounds about right. It's like Mac just felt that recruits would just fall into his lap. Hence why we didn't recruit well the past three years. I don't think we can thank Mac for any recruit...the ones we got were from connections to staff members (like any 3 star with a pulse in Miami getting offered by Shannon). I think we're lucky we got who we got. It's amazing to think that staff was able to get guys like Tyrie Cleveland from Texas and Elijah Conliffe from Virginia.

I totally understand your reservation, and it’s one of the reasons I’ve never posted the story. But I totally believe every single bit of it, because it was told to me firsthand from a very close friend

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They gave the man a $7.5 million buyout. The idea that he dazzled Foley in interviews is beyond belief.
Astonishing.

Fooley is a fool for a bad set of teeth. Flashed them yellers at him and it was done.

gettyimages-460052334.jpg

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I think Mac believed that he and Nuss could take 3 stars and out coach the other teams with 5 stars. He didn't go after the studs b/c he was such a good coach he didn't need them.

Too bad pass to flat on 1st, run on 2nd, and jacked up pass play on 3rd didn't get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator