The "next Clemson" (similar type program that could rise)

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
At the risk of being called Drunk...this is more probable than people think.

Florida has the talent

UCF will have a huge alumni...and with UF being so restrictive it will only get larger

Orlando is a major market

I knew it.

People say the same thing about TX A&M in TX.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I knew it.

People say the same thing about TX A&M in TX.
Which one is a Power 5 school (and in the SEC none the less) and which one is a directional school in a conference that nine out of ten football fans have never heard of?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Which one is a Power 5 school (and in the SEC none the less) and which one is a directional school in a conference that nine out of ten football fans have never heard of?

Donkey:

I get it but TX A&M has not been in the SEC that long.

If UCF joins the BIG 12 or ACC then what?

Something like that is coming. Along with 8 team playoff.

In a few more years UCF will be huge.

But to your point THEY AIN'T THERE YET. Not even close

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Probably whatever school can recruit top level talent despite having no significant pedigree or on field results. Clemson has been yanking 5-star recruits out of Florida since CJ Spiller in 2006 despite not winning more than 8 games in a season for several years. Heck, they were 6-7 the year before they pulled Sammy Watkins from Fort Meyers. While I'm sure most of the top programs get a little dirty along the recruiting trail (either we need a refund or our boosters are frugal like Foley), I have a hard time understanding how Clemson rose to prominence the way they did without being filthy. They've only been winning since their roster rivaled Alabama. Its not like they won some scratchy games first and had a few signature wins with inventive coaching and then the recruits followed. They recruited amazingly well for a decade with little to nothing to show for it, then started to win. Whatever school can create the recruiting atmosphere that Clemson was able to in the late 2000s and continue into the 2010s will rise.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
But they were P5 before SEC, in the Big 12 at that point.

I am not saying real soon but the writing is on the wall UCF will be a Major University and in demand...now the question is, will they be a Clemson or a Rutgers in the Stadium

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
LSU, with the right coach.

Yeah the original writer missed the first step of considering what Clemson is. Clemson is a program in a small state where they care about football, that had one big year in the past and has now gone on a run. aTm fits that bill except it is not in a small state. To me aTm is more like UF was in 1989.

I agree that LSU like Clemson is in a small state that cares about football that had one big year even longer ago than Clemson. The comp falls apart in that LSU has had more recent success than Clemson before this run.

Maybe if Ok State uses all PIckens' money a decade plus or minus down the road and hires just the right coach, they could be more similar to Clemson.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Donkey:

I get it but TX A&M has not been in the SEC that long.

If UCF joins the BIG 12 or ACC then what?

Something like that is coming. Along with 8 team playoff.

In a few more years UCF will be huge.

But to your point THEY AIN'T THERE YET. Not even close

UCF isn't getting into any major conference. Big 12 doesn't want them and the ACC would only go after them if they lost some of their members to other conferences.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
Can't envision any SEC West school doing it while Saban is still at Alabama. I think Penn State might be on the verge of taking over that conference. Great coach and they're recruiting really well.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Inbred had top 5 classes for 10 years playing a cupcake schedule and averaged about 4 losses per year. He's got 3 times the schedule difficulty now, and he's no longer in a state where the other big programs are absolute dumpster fires.

All the money and fan support in the world ain't gonna make dumbo a better coach. Great recruiter, crap coach. The end.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Mandel must have overlooked Jimbo being a 2.75 loss per year coach Jameis and a nearlyb4 loss per year coach w/o him...with top 5 classes...at FSU...in the weak azz ACC. The guy has no credibility after that article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.