The primary role of the sports message board

gatorbro1

Sep 10, 2017
I had a member last night that was disappointed that a couple of people were dishing out personal attacks, and I wrote him a PM this morning. However, I thought it was important enough of a topic to share much of what I wrote right here.

I consider myself as providing a valuable community service here, and I'm only half joking when I say that. I think the primary reason for a sports message board to even exist is for therapeutic reasons; i.e. venting / letting it all out. Before message boards, a lot of pissed off, drunk men would take it out on their families, wives, or pets - or they would simply destroy property in fits of rage. In some cases it was so bad the police had to be called. I myself used to punch holes in walls back in the 90's during football games; part of me wonders if I could have avoided that had Gatorchatter been around. Hell, the governor should give me a medal for reducing the crime rate.

Obviously, the past decade has been particularly bad. It's a helpless feeling to see something you loved destroyed by incompetence and you have no power to do anything but watch the destruction. So, when something like what happened last night happened, I try to stand out of people's way and let them vent. Most vent in a controlled manner - some lash out at others. If they get totally out of hand I will send them away for the night to cool off, otherwise I will leave it alone. In most cases, those being attacked are super pissed too and don't hold grudges because they know the other is just letting off steam. Also, keep in mind that I was extremely pissed myself and didn't have the best judgement going on either. It's not like I'm a neutral observer in all this destruction; part of me wishes I was.

At any rate, the rage has subsided and a lot of crime has now been avoided due to Gatorchatter. It's honestly nice to have a place to commiserate with people that have the same interests. I'd rather cry in my coffee with you guys than cry alone. I hope no one did any real harm to anything or anyone last night.

Discuss.

gatorbro1

Sep 10, 2017
I had a member last night that was disappointed that a couple of people were dishing out personal attacks, and I wrote him a PM this morning. However, I thought it was important enough of a topic to share much of what I wrote right here.

I consider myself as providing a valuable community service here, and I'm only half joking when I say that. I think the primary reason for a sports message board to even exist is for therapeutic reasons; i.e. venting / letting it all out. Before message boards, a lot of pissed off, drunk men would take it out on their families, wives, or pets - or they would simply destroy property in fits of rage. In some cases it was so bad the police had to be called. I myself used to punch holes in walls back in the 90's during football games; part of me wonders if I could have avoided that had Gatorchatter been around. Hell, the governor should give me a medal for reducing the crime rate.

Obviously, the past decade has been particularly bad. It's a helpless feeling to see something you loved destroyed by incompetence and you have no power to do anything but watch the destruction. So, when something like what happened last night happened, I try to stand out of people's way and let them vent. Most vent in a controlled manner - some lash out at others. If they get totally out of hand I will send them away for the night to cool off, otherwise I will leave it alone. In most cases, those being attacked are super pissed too and don't hold grudges because they know the other is just letting off steam. Also, keep in mind that I was extremely pissed myself and didn't have the best judgement going on either. It's not like I'm a neutral observer in all this destruction; part of me wishes I was.

At any rate, the rage has subsided and a lot of crime has now been avoided due to Gatorchatter. It's honestly nice to have a place to commiserate with people that have the same interests. I'd rather cry in my coffee with you guys than cry alone. I hope no one did any real harm to anything or anyone last night.

Discuss.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
At least gatorbro learned how to click the quote button. Maybe he'll make a post when he regains consciousness.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At least gatorbro learned how to click the quote button. Maybe he'll make a post when he regains consciousness.
8iS.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What are the odds of that beer landing exactly on its bottom without breaking?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Zs3YyD0.gif

I used to always use this one to make fun of that moronic Vol fan on the old GSMB who was on some dart team. :lol:

Last edited:

gatorbro1

Sep 10, 2017
I always admire founders and leaders of any forum like this so thank you for being at the forefront. However I respectfully disagree with your premise that to insult is somehow the equivalent of an intellectual conversation, that venting is somehow the equivalent of reasoning. Hard to deal with premises from oxrageous that are faulty from their outset. Go Gators 30 year gator booster and first time watcher of the Gators when Larry Libertore was the QB .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always admire founders and leaders of any forum like this so thank you for being at the forefront. However I respectfully disagree with your premise that to insult is somehow the equivalent of an intellectual conversation, that venting is somehow the equivalent of reasoning. Hard to deal with premises from oxrageous that are faulty from their outset. Go Gators 30 year gator booster and first time watcher of the Gators when Larry Libertore was the QB .
STFU, respectfully

Sports bar, man. Loosen up.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Good one new guy. :law: welcomes must new guys with that same reply so dont take it personally. Ox did a good thing with this forum and I agree with much of his premise. But like most people of his ilk thinks of the world in black and white terms with no room for gray areas. Forgive him and the lesbian donkey and dont be a stranger..............btw I have a had a few...... if the syntax, spelling and grammar is lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator