The Quarterback Situation

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So many of you are jumping to conclusions about AR hitting the portal. Did you forget where he went to high school or that it’s only the fourth game of the season or that, maybe just maybe, he really does have a nagging hammy and that Mullen didn’t want to risk having it be turned into a larger injury?

That being said, I think we have to reconsider the importance of now. That’s really what the quarterback controversy is about. Now versus later, AR’s youth and inexperience versus EJ’s loyalty and patience. How urgent is the idea of big change?

We want a rematch with Bama. Is it plausible to platoon our way to Atlanta? Do we gradually up the snaps for AR and see what happens? Did EJ’s improvement in the second half yesterday earn him more time as the starter, never mind the frequent bad decisions or poor ability to read the field or the kid on the bench with the startling athletic abilities?

As bad as Franks was, Mullen was never going to bench him as long as he had legs, a big arm and an equally big mouth.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I think people believe he ends up in the portal because Emory is not good enough to go pro so he will be back next season. If he's already better than Emory and still not starting what makes him think he will start next season.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
So many of you are jumping to conclusions about AR hitting the portal. Did you forget where he went to high school or that it’s only the fourth game of the season or that, maybe just maybe, he really does have a nagging hammy and that Mullen didn’t want to risk having it be turned into a larger injury?

That being said, I think we have to reconsider the importance of now. That’s really what the quarterback controversy is about. Now versus later, AR’s youth and inexperience versus EJ’s loyalty and patience. How urgent is the idea of big change?

We want a rematch with Bama. Is it plausible to platoon our way to Atlanta? Do we gradually up the snaps for AR and see what happens? Did EJ’s improvement in the second half yesterday earn him more time as the starter, never mind the frequent bad decisions or poor ability to read the field or the kid on the bench with the startling athletic abilities?

As bad as Franks was, Mullen was never going to bench him as long as he had legs, a big arm and an equally big mouth.
I've seen enough of Emory as our Qb. Dude just misses way many throws. Most are guys open but the ball is under thrown or throw behind them so they have to adjust and they end up either catching the ball and not getting any yac because of awkward catch or its just not caught at all. Just my opinion

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First, AR ain't going anywhere.

I'd say AR, and even EJ understand their situations better than anyone here. They know where they stand, and they are willing to go through the process.

I am of the belief that AR will play, and will eventually play himself into either taking over the starting role this year, or will be playing such significant playing time that starter status will be irrelevant.

He's just flat out the better athlete, and from the throws I've seen, he's definitely a better passer.

EJ is not a great QB. Serviceable, but not great. He makes some plays, but he isn't a game changing play maker. While he did help formulate some good drives yesterday, his body of work, even in that game, is pedestrian. He made A LOT of mistakes. The INT, at least three times unwilling to make the read and ends up holding the ball too long with the RB when he should have just handed off, inaccuracies in passing, some were missed badly. Amazingly some people think EJ played a great game, merely because he sort of minimized his extremely high level of mistakes coming into this game, so by comparison, he looked good. He wasn't.

EJ is a good kid. AR is just better. Everyone knows it. AR knows it. EJ knows it, and I believe even Mullen knows it. AR will be a huge part of this offense this season.

I don't actually think there is a QB situation, technically.
I think they will both play, and both play significant time.
I think even if AR were named starter, EJ would play too.

Against UT I expect to see what we saw in the first 2 games, and then barring injury, growth from there.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
EJ doesn't bring a different skillset to the equation than AR15. AR15 reads the option better, is bigger, stronger, faster, more dynamic, a more accurate passer, and has a better feel for the game than EJ. The only thing EJ has over AR15 supposedly is a firmer grasp of the playbook. This isn't a knock on EJ, but only a moron of a head coach would sit a generational talent at QB for a kid that brings the same skillset to the table, only worse at everything.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
If AR transfers, doesn't he have to sit out a year? If so I'm not sure he gains much from transferring. Transfer, sit out a year, you start in 2024. Stay, sit behind EJ next year, you start in 2024.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
First, AR ain't going anywhere.

I'd say AR, and even EJ understand their situations better than anyone here. They know where they stand, and they are willing to go through the process.

I am of the belief that AR will play, and will eventually play himself into either taking over the starting role this year, or will be playing such significant playing time that starter status will be irrelevant.

He's just flat out the better athlete, and from the throws I've seen, he's definitely a better passer.

EJ is not a great QB. Serviceable, but not great. He makes some plays, but he isn't a game changing play maker. While he did help formulate some good drives yesterday, his body of work, even in that game, is pedestrian. He made A LOT of mistakes. The INT, at least three times unwilling to make the read and ends up holding the ball too long with the RB when he should have just handed off, inaccuracies in passing, some were missed badly. Amazingly some people think EJ played a great game, merely because he sort of minimized his extremely high level of mistakes coming into this game, so by comparison, he looked good. He wasn't.

EJ is a good kid. AR is just better. Everyone knows it. AR knows it. EJ knows it, and I believe even Mullen knows it. AR will be a huge part of this offense this season.

I don't actually think there is a QB situation, technically.
I think they will both play, and both play significant time.
I think even if AR were named starter, EJ would play too.

Against UT I expect to see what we saw in the first 2 games, and then barring injury, growth from there.
I agree with a lot of what you said but something tells me your wrong about AR taking over at some point. I think we start seeing more game like USF where AR only gets 3 series.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stay, sit behind EJ next year, you start in 2024.

Suppose Cam Newton didn’t toss the laptop. Suppose he hadn’t transferred. Suppose you could enter a time bubble. Would you ask him to sit behind John Brantley and wait for 2011?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't matter what I want or you want. We've seen this before and despite our frustration, it worked out. Let it play out. Go Gators.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with a lot of what you said but something tells me your wrong about AR taking over at some point. I think we start seeing more game like USF where AR only gets 3 series.
AR was a redshirt last year.
We've only seen him play against FAU and USF...two pretty crappy teams.

Now I am of the belief that he should have played at least some against Bama.

He'll get more playing time as we progress

That said, it's incredibly early in the season and even earlier in ARs career.
I'm not saying Dumbass Dan will make the right choice ultimately. All I am saying is it's too early for someone to be blowing their brains out over something they have zero input over and something they don't control.

I do believe though that AR plays significant time this year and will be a difference maker.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've been down this road just a couple of years ago. Mullen will play EJ until he breaks a leg, or has a scooter incident. No amount of on field performance and stats will change the equation.

We could have won it all when Trask was slinging it if Mullen had dumped Grantham earlier and a halfass DC was here. He sticks with people even when the evidence is overwhelming he need to move on. If Grantham is still here when AR-15 takes over, Mullen will squander another championship offense.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Mullen sat a healthy AR so that EJ wouldn’t look over his shoulders during a big game. I don’t agree, I think we win with AR playing, and no-one will admit it, but it actually helped Emory last night.

The problem with this is how to you go about it moving forward. Did Emory gain enough confidence to not let this bother him moving forward, only time will tell. But this was clearly Dans motive.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
AR will not transfer. He will get his shot and like Trask he will never look back. Folks forget that even before our starter went down Trask was slated to get a start and then broke his foot or something.

I like EJ. Probably more than most but there is simply too much separation between them. AR has Heisman potential. EJ is improving and that is great for the Gators trust me. I would just like to see the roles flipped. I think it will happen.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
AR will not transfer. He will get his shot and like Trask he will never look back. Folks forget that even before our starter went down Trask was slated to get a start and then broke his foot or something.

I like EJ. Probably more than most but there is simply too much separation between them. AR has Heisman potential. EJ is improving and that is great for the Gators trust me. I would just like to see the roles flipped. I think it will happen.

I think you’re right on all counts. Here’s my question. How long do you tether the situation? Say the snap differential is 90/10 or 85/15 now. How far does the snap count need to swing in AR’s favor before you flip the switch?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think you’re right on all counts. Here’s my question. How long do you tether the situation? Say the snap differential is 90/10 or 85/15 now. How far does the snap count need to swing in AR’s favor before you flip the switch?
I think as long as AR stays healthy, he will progressively get more time until the inevitable.
It will totally depend on game to game and how they both do.

EJ played "good" yesterday but he is prone to a lot of mistakes and that will be part of where we see the separation between the two.

I'd like to think AR takes over this year but who knows how things play out.
AR NEEDs to be playing significantly when we get to UGA, I know that much.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Suppose SCam Newton didn’t toss the laptop. Suppose he hadn’t transferred. Suppose you could enter a time bubble. Would you ask him to sit behind John Brantley and wait for 2011?

Well no I wouldn't. In fact he beat Brantley out for the backup spot in 2007. In 2008 he was injured and took a medical redshirt. Per Wikipedia he announced his transfer 3 days before the Oklahoma game.

But I get your point and I hope that AR has more character than SCam. Let's hope he is closer to Danny, Tim, or Kyle, and a long way from Scam.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Well Mullen is so stubborn it’s hard to tell. My guess is Emory will continue to get the majority of the snaps for the next 3 games but around that point….LSU could be the game AR begins to get featured more. Maybe EJ has a poor start and he turns to AR who balls out. That type scenario is the most likely. If not LSU maybe Georgia. Once it happens….it’s permanent. EJ becomes the guy who comes in for the change of pace and he will be effective in that role.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If AR transfers, doesn't he have to sit out a year? If so I'm not sure he gains much from transferring. Transfer, sit out a year, you start in 2024. Stay, sit behind EJ next year, you start in 2024.
No, NCAA is now giving first transfers immediate instatement.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
My thoughts: AR plays more until, as the season nears its end, he gets about 1/3 of the snaps. Everyone knows AR will start next year so EJ transfers, goes pro, or becomes a receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator