The start of an OSU Dynasty?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n150189 said:
Not that it matters that much, but did we even recruit Bosa out of high school?

Yes, we did actually. I think we were in his top 5.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
T REX;n150238 said:
Harbaugh has won wherever he's been. They are cut from the same cloth. It will make for some great football. Put those eggs in that basket.

That good year he had at Stanford was also back when Stanford was crap and USC was in its heyday. He put them on the map.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n150188 said:
Meyer is one of the two best coaches in college football currently and the only one better is being discussed as one of the best coaches in history. Yet, some of you seem to think its ridiculous that he could build a dynasty there after just winning the first playoff (rather easily I might add) with his 3rd string QB?

It has nothing to do with his ability. Just too early to call something a dynasty until there are multiple championships. Miami didn't have a dynasty in the earlier 2000s, but everyone was saying they would have the 2001 National Title. Then that was the only one they won. Let them win too. Urban is a great coach, no one can dispute that. But lets not write the history, before its actually able to be played out.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
meh, i think its premature to be talking dynasty. urbs is a great coach but he needs to win multiple championships before we talk dynasty. besides alot of luck went urbs way this year with his qb, selection committee,etc

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
dubster1;n150254 said:
meh, i think its premature to be talking dynasty. urbs is a great coach but he needs to win multiple championships before we talk dynasty. besides alot of luck went urbs way this year with his qb, selection committee,etc

That horrible loss to Virginia Tech at home was completely overlooked. OSU proved themselves in the playoffs, but based on resume, TCU should have been in over them.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Everyone is coming back, his team is loaded with young talent. It isn't a difficult schedule to navigate yearly. It was a smart move on his part. Remove the tough SEC grind and cruise to the playoff where he has some time to gameplan. He's very hard to beat in big games. He's set for as long as he wants there.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Born2beagator;n150261 said:
That horrible loss to Virginia Tech at home was completely overlooked. OSU proved themselves in the playoffs, but based on resume, TCU should have been in over them.

no arguement here,, i agree with you,, but alot had to go urbs way to get in the playoffs, that vt loss at home shouldve deep six him. but lady luck shined on him. with that said i dont see dynasty. as impressive as the bucks were against bama and oregon i think tcu wouldve gave them fits.imho

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
dubster1;n150266 said:
no arguement here,, i agree with you,, but alot had to go urbs way to get in the playoffs, that vt loss at home shouldve deep six him. but lady luck shined on him. with that said i dont see dynasty. as impressive as the bucks were against bama and oregon i think tcu wouldve gave them fits.imho

We'll never know. One thing this showed us is the playoff wasn't big enough. I would have liked to see at least 6 teams to get Baylor and TCU in there. Then the media could still have their Urban lovefest and not leave deserving teams out. The fact that they dropped TCU in the ranking so far is because, imo they were trying to get OSU in there. Name brand goes a long way I think

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n150318 said:
We'll never know. One thing this showed us is the playoff wasn't big enough. I would have liked to see at least 6 teams to get Baylor and TCU in there. Then the media could still have their Urban lovefest and not leave deserving teams out. The fact that they dropped TCU in the ranking so far is because, imo they were trying to get OSU in there. Name brand goes a long way I think

I believe it needs to be 8, but no more than that.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I loved how in the presser this morning Urbs was hyping the Big Ten as improving and moving forward...he even used 3-9 Purdue as an example. He completely dodged a question about the NFL, answered it "not right now".

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The dynasty talk is premature, but man, Urbs really coached 'em up this year. The man separated himself completely from all coaches except Saban - though I think he did leapfrog Nicky. Yes, Nicky has more rings, but as far as I remember, he was always fully stocked or close to it for his title runs. Urbs just won a Natty with a bench warmer under center. I still have a hard time believing it.

Urbs' maniacal coaching skills, plus all that pOSU brings and given that was a very young squad on the field last night means they will be very tough over the course of the next few years, assuming Urbs can avoid recruiting felons and murderers to Columbus like he did here - and as long as his esophagus doesn't act up. With Harbaugh at Meatchicken, Franklin resurrecting the fighting pedophiles and Dantonio elevating Sparty - the B1G figures to be a lot less yucky to watch in the coming years.

Buxrageous must be in great spirits today!! :rotfl:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Also, don't forget the Big Ten moves to a nine game conference schedule in 2016, making it even easier.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n150249 said:
It has nothing to do with his ability. Just too early to call something a dynasty until there are multiple championships. Miami didn't have a dynasty in the earlier 2000s, but everyone was saying they would have the 2001 National Title. Then that was the only one they won. Let them win too. Urban is a great coach, no one can dispute that. But lets not write the history, before its actually able to be played out.

You are right that you can't claim a dynasty until certain things are accomplished. They haven't been done at Ohio St yet. However the title of this thread is a question. No one has stated that Meyer has a dynasty now. Simply could it be the start of one, and the answer is an emphatic yes. He still has a lot to achieve but Meyer has the skill. Just a question does he have the longevity at this point.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Urban Meyer is a great college football coach In fact, I would say one of the best ever. As to whether he will build a dynasty at Ohio State remains to be seen. Many things must fall into place for any team to win a major championship. However, I have no doubt that his teams will be in the NC conversation almost every year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n150395 said:
You are right that you can't claim a dynasty until certain things are accomplished. They haven't been done at Ohio St yet. However the title of this thread is a question. No one has stated that Meyer has a dynasty now. Simply could it be the start of one, and the answer is an emphatic yes. He still has a lot to achieve but Meyer has the skill. Just a question does he have the longevity at this point.

Any team that wins one Championship that question is going to come up. We do not know how other teams in the Big 10 are going to react. Michigan State and Michigan will have to get better. The Big 10 is getting better, they are not the SEC but they are getting better. It is how these things play out, Alabama used to be well above all the teams in the SEC, we can't say that anymore. The question is, what is going to be the Big 10's response.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n150401 said:
Any team that wins one Championship that question is going to come up. .

I don't think that is true. Meyer has had 3 great years at OSU already. He has only lost 3 games in those 3 years, so all signs show that Meyer has his team playing at the highest level. Add in a championship, and it makes this question a valid one.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n150401 said:
Any team that wins one Championship that question is going to come up. We do not know how other teams in the Big 10 are going to react. Michigan State and Michigan will have to get better. The Big 10 is getting better, they are not the SEC but they are getting better. It is how these things play out, Alabama used to be well above all the teams in the SEC, we can't say that anymore. The question is, what is going to be the Big 10's response.

Actually it isn't asked about any team. It wasn't asked last year about FSU. If Oregon would have won this year, it would not have been asked. And it isn't being asked this year because of Ohio St. It is being asked because of Urban Meyer. He was already a two time NC coach. He's already proven that he's a winner. And before this year he already went 12-0 and 12-2 so he is showing he can do it at Ohio St too. I too think it is going to be a tougher road than he probably thought when he took the job in 2011.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n150404 said:
Actually it isn't asked about any team. It wasn't asked last year about FSU. If Oregon would have won this year, it would not have been asked. And it isn't being asked this year because of Ohio St. It is being asked because of Urban Meyer. He was already a two time NC coach. He's already proven that he's a winner. And before this year he already went 12-0 and 12-2 so he is showing he can do it at Ohio St too. I too think it is going to be a tougher road than he probably thought when he took the job in 2011.

It was asked about FSU by the media. Because of the youth of the FSU team. It might be asked here because of Meyer, but the conversation starts with the first win, because without it there is nothing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's going to be some drop off with osu. They're losing the best qb coach/oc urbans ever had. They're likely going to lose 2 of the 3quarterbacks that played this year. We could see some drop off . You also have to factor in Michigan. That's going to be a pretty big obstacle real soon. I'm not going to discredit urban but every good run comes to an end.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.