The U.S. Open & LIV v. PGA Thread

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
US open starts today. Sorry Augusta, it’s the best tourney of the year. Nasty roughs, different course every year, and ANYONE can play in it if you qualify. A true meritocracy, which is a rarity these days.

This year’s open definitely has a different feel with many of the top players deciding they prefer Saudi riyals instead of Uncle Sam’s Greenbacks. Just like college ball, money is ruining golf.

Not sure who I like. I think the players flirting with LIV may not be focused enough to come out on top. I think a 2nd tier player will win. Pulling a name out of a hat, I’ll go Xander Schauffele: won before, been close in majors. It’s his turn.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, didn't the PGA blackball Phil for negative comments he made re. LIV?

And now he and about 8 other tier-1 players have jumped to LIV. Why would the PGA protect LIV? It'll be the downfall of the PGA.

Additionally, the reason Greg Norman is so big into LIV is because of a row he had w/the PGA back when he was the World's #1 player. Guess it ain't just elephants that have great memories, Sharks do too.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I don’t know if the PGA is protecting LIV. They are blackballing all players who join it from the tour. I think they just don’t know how to react, and are formulating a strategy.

They better act fast: or the valuable players will cross the pond, get on a camel, avoid the mass beheadings, and collect that oil money.

I’ve actually had some dealings with the Shark’s business team. That man MEANS business. It’s not about feelings or the past with him. It’s all about the bottom line. Don’t let the public persona fool you, he will scalp you to make some extra coin.

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
They aren't protecting them NOW, I agree, but they sure messed up initially the way they handled Phil's negative comments.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, didn't the PGA blackball Phil for negative comments he made re. LIV?

And now he and about 8 other tier-1 players have jumped to LIV. Why would the PGA protect LIV? It'll be the downfall of the PGA.

Additionally, the reason Greg Norman is so big into LIV is because of a row he had w/the PGA back when he was the World's #1 player. Guess it ain't just elephants that have great memories, Sharks do too.
Never liked Norman.......... Never will.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The PGA is crapping in their own nest. They will not be able to force the genie back into the bottle IMO and should’ve embraced their foreign counterpart and worked on a mutually beneficial relationship instead of picking a fight with the players who make them who they are. The faster they recognize that the players, not the PGA, are the market commodities the less they’ll damage themselves.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t follow golf closely so I am hoping y’all can explain something to me and/or correct any bad info I have.

So Phil questioned the sanity of supporting a golf tour that is sponsored by a government that funds international terrorism as well as domestic abuse and the PGA basically blackballed him for it?

Now they have turned on the Saudi tour and are criticizing/ostracizing any golfers that participate in the rival tour?

Yet Phil is still an outcast because he spoke candidly about the Saudi government and indirectly in support of the PGA tour?

Again, I don’t follow golf closely so please tell me what I am missing.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I don’t follow golf closely so I am hoping y’all can explain something to me and/or correct any bad info I have.

So Phil questioned the sanity of supporting a golf tour that is sponsored by a government that funds international terrorism as well as domestic abuse and the PGA basically blackballed him for it?

Now they have turned on the Saudi tour and are criticizing/ostracizing any golfers that participate in the rival tour?

Yet Phil is still an outcast because he spoke candidly about the Saudi government and indirectly in support of the PGA tour?

Again, I don’t follow golf closely so please tell me what I am missing.

Yep, you nailed it. And since the PGA put Phil on time out for his comment, then, Phil has now decided to join the very league that he spoke out against. Well, that plus the payment he's getting from them. And NOW, the PGA has full-on black balled him, along with the other ship jumpers.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, you nailed it. And since the PGA put Phil on time out for his comment, then, Phil has now decided to join the very league that he spoke out against. Well, that plus the payment he's getting from them. And NOW, the PGA has full-on black balled him, along with the other ship jumpers.
Not quite a full-on black ball as Dumbass (Lefty), DJ, Dechambles and other LIVer's are currently playing in the US Open.
Speaking of the US Open, Morikawa is heating up (him, Koepka and Shoeffler are the only others at -3 for the day so far). Billy the Gator is struggling at +5, with the projected cut line at +3; he'll need to finish strong today to play the weekend.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Not quite a full-on black ball as Dumbass (Lefty), DJ, Dechambles and other LIVer's are currently playing in the US Open.
Speaking of the US Open, Morikawa is heating up (him, Koepka and Shoeffler are the only others at -3 for the day so far). Billy the Gator is struggling at +5, with the projected cut line at +3; he'll need to finish strong today to play the weekend.

The U S Open is run by the USGA, not the PGA.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Correct. But only because The Open is, well, open...to anybody that qualifies vs other tournaments and majors that are by invite AND qualifiers.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
stoked to see Rahm and Morikawa leading the pack, would love to see either of them win this thing.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The only LIVer I’m sorry to see leave the PGA tour is Johnson. He’s been one of my favorites to watch. I’ve never liked Sergio and he never lived up to his hype, Mickelson is scummy, DeChambeau seems arrogant. (And has done nothing since Cantlay wore his ‘roided a$$ out.) Reed was the least popular guy on tour. The rest are has-beens and never-was guys. Na? Nah. Fowler? Meh. Poulter? All about the ugly pants. But Johnson is legit, love his game and his persona. Really disappointed he jumped.

It’s not so much the money but the fact that none of these guys would be known as they are without the PGA and European tours. A bunch of ingrates. Why couldn’t they do these special events in the off-season?

Also, golf is a very elitist sport. The smug snobbery is tempered by its strict code of fair play and commitment to charity. I appreciate the benefit PGA events bring to local communities. (I don’t think the players are a bunch of saints but the framework points to the good.)

The Open is shaping up nicely. Like the course and it is generating a great leaderboard.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
What I don't get is...the LIV is how many tournaments? 8? Well the big name golfers probably don't play 8 PGA Tour events throughout the year anyway....so instead of them being off those 8 weeks, they just play the LIV tour.....so point being I don't see how the PGA is out anything if they would just let the players play in both....I haven't looked at the schedule but do the LIV tournaments coincide with any of the big PGA ones? If not, I don't see what the issue is

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.