The U.S. Open & LIV v. PGA Thread

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Hayden Buckley in 2nd to last pairing. He got in via qualifying tourney.

Rooting for him, but wouldn’t be surprised if he puts up a 78 today under all that pressure.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
What I don't get is...the LIV is how many tournaments? 8? Well the big name golfers probably don't play 8 PGA Tour events throughout the year anyway....so instead of them being off those 8 weeks, they just play the LIV tour.....so point being I don't see how the PGA is out anything if they would just let the players play in both....I haven't looked at the schedule but do the LIV tournaments coincide with any of the big PGA ones? If not, I don't see what the issue is

That’s the issue. LIV events conflict with PGA events. No majors, but those tournaments are affected. The first one conflicted with the Canadian Open. Had they been scheduled differently, after the FedEx cup was over, no problem.

The big names don’t play every week now, but they did while earning their renown. The tour pays appearance bonuses to get bigger names to the lesser tournaments. And those guys have built huge sponsorship relationships because of their success on the PGA tour.

Mickelson in particular is filthy rich because of the PGA tour. He’d be even richer except for his gambling problem. But he resents them. Spoiled ingrate in my book.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
That’s the issue. LIV events conflict with PGA events. No majors, but those tournaments are affected. The first one conflicted with the Canadian Open. Had they been scheduled differently, after the FedEx cup was over, no problem.

The big names don’t play every week now, but they did while earning their renown. The tour pays appearance bonuses to get bigger names to the lesser tournaments. And those guys have built huge sponsorship relationships because of their success on the PGA tour.

Mickelson in particular is filthy rich because of the PGA tour. He’d be even richer except for his gambling problem. But he resents them. Spoiled ingrate in my book.

Yeah I still like Phil enough but not as much as I used to....on the other hand, there is a big outcry with golfers joining a tour that is backed by a country known for human rights abuses but yet no one cares about the NBA and China? Or the NFL and Europe which has been tryannical the last couple years? Where do you draw that line?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Good to see the board loaded with US guys since its our major

But would not be upset if Rory pulls it out

Greens are firming up fast, so any score in the red this afternoon is big

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man, feels like a dozen guys still have a shot at this thing. And the USGA might hit their even par winner goal if the wind keeps up and the temp stays cool.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I don’t know if the PGA is protecting LIV. They are blackballing all players who join it from the tour. I think they just don’t know how to react, and are formulating a strategy.

They better act fast: or the valuable players will cross the pond, get on a camel, avoid the mass beheadings, and collect that oil money.

I’ve actually had some dealings with the Shark’s business team. That man MEANS business. It’s not about feelings or the past with him. It’s all about the bottom line. Don’t let the public persona fool you, he will scalp you to make some extra coin.

Okay, regarding your original post, no disrespect to you but the Masters is better than the US Open…and personally I think the British is the 2nd best major.

Regarding your comment about Norman, I agree with you regarding the public persona comment. I heard some stories about Norman years ago from well connected Palm Beach monied types that paint him in a totally different light than the “nice” guy golfer.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Okay, regarding your original post, no disrespect to you but the Masters is better than the US Open…and personally I think the British is the 2nd best major.

Regarding your comment about Norman, I agree with you regarding the public persona comment. I heard some stories about Norman years ago from well connected Palm Beach monied types that paint him in a totally different light than the “nice” guy golfer.

Agree with you on both sentiments....however I will say it's virtually impossible to be a successful businessman and not be cutthroat or step on some toes in some capacity to get to the top

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only LIVer I’m sorry to see leave the PGA tour is Johnson. He’s been one of my favorites to watch. I’ve never liked Sergio and he never lived up to his hype, Mickelson is scummy, DeChambeau seems arrogant. (And has done nothing since Cantlay wore his ‘roided a$$ out.) Reed was the least popular guy on tour. The rest are has-beens and never-was guys. Na? Nah. Fowler? Meh. Poulter? All about the ugly pants. But Johnson is legit, love his game and his persona. Really disappointed he jumped.

It’s not so much the money but the fact that none of these guys would be known as they are without the PGA and European tours. A bunch of ingrates. Why couldn’t they do these special events in the off-season?

Also, golf is a very elitist sport. The smug snobbery is tempered by its strict code of fair play and commitment to charity. I appreciate the benefit PGA events bring to local communities. (I don’t think the players are a bunch of saints but the framework points to the good.)

The Open is shaping up nicely. Like the course and it is generating a great leaderboard.
Say what you will, but I believe there currently are 5 previous major winners who’ve told the PGA to phuchoff. More are likely to follow. People forget that the “PGA” is merely an organization made up of all the professional golfers. The problem we’re seeing now is that the administration part of the PGA is acting as if they are more important than the players who are actually the ones who comprise the group. It’s amazingly similar to what’s going on with our government in DC thinking they are the power holders and not the people.
While the PGA has done well in years past, much like the NCAA, it doesn’t seem to be able to change with the times.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Say what you will, but I believe there currently are 5 previous major winners who’ve told the PGA to phuchoff. More are likely to follow. People forget that the “PGA” is merely an organization made up of all the professional golfers. The problem we’re seeing now is that the administration part of the PGA is acting as if they are more important than the players who are actually the ones who comprise the group. It’s amazingly similar to what’s going on with our government in DC thinking they are the power holders and not the people.
While the PGA has done well in years past, much like the NCAA, it doesn’t seem to be able to change with the times.
Yes, 5 major winners but only Johnson and Dechambeau are in their prime. I think I saw 20 of the top 100, which isn’t bad but is it enough?

If the PGA and European tour hold firm I think it will fizzle. Especially if/when the PGA adjusts to the threat. Since the players own and control it I expect they will figure it out.

The guys who got the big $$ clearly got more than they would have won on tour or the old guys’ champions tour, but does that hold up for young talent? Where is the payback for the Saudis? DJ battling Dechambeau and who will get ratings where?

I guess I’m old and traditional.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Schefler made a run, but the POM won the trophy.

Is Zalatoris the next Norman?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Schefler made a run, but the POM won the trophy.

Is Zalatoris the next Norman?
The human skeleton is getting real good at coming in second. As well as he's played, its hard to believe he's never won a PGA tournament.

Personally I think his name sounds like some new designer drug. It should come with a warning. Consult your doctor before taking Zalatoris. Zalatoris is not for people who win golf tournaments or eat sandwiches. Side effects of Zalatoris include missing easy putts and giving people the side-eye. Do not take Zalatoris if you are allergic to Zalatoris.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The human skeleton is getting real good at coming in second. As well as he's played, its hard to believe he's never won a PGA tournament.

Personally I think his name sounds like some new designer drug. It should come with a warning. Consult your doctor before taking Zalatoris. Zalatoris is not for people who win golf tournaments or eat sandwiches. Side effects of Zalatoris include missing easy putts and giving people the side-eye. Do not take Zalatoris if you are allergic to Zalatoris.
Straight on, his face kind of resembles an opossum.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was playing chess with my friend when he said, "Why don't we make this a little more interesting." So we quit.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, 5 major winners but only Johnson and Dechambeau are in their prime. I think I saw 20 of the top 100, which isn’t bad but is it enough?

If the PGA and European tour hold firm I think it will fizzle. Especially if/when the PGA adjusts to the threat. Since the players own and control it I expect they will figure it out.

The guys who got the big $$ clearly got more than they would have won on tour or the old guys’ champions tour, but does that hold up for young talent? Where is the payback for the Saudis? DJ battling Dechambeau and who will get ratings where?

I guess I’m old and traditional.
I’m old and a traditionalist as well, but money talks and the PGA is acting like an adolescent union. Either they learn to play nice or they will suffer the consequences. The money behind the Saudi venture is deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator