The Urban Meyer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
4 games does not define a career, but I said it for a long time about Leyer. He does not have the temperament to be a lasting coach in the NFL for numerous reasons. He hates losing (most coaches do), but he can't grasp that losing 6 sometimes 7 games a year can still get you into the playoffs. Losses eat at him worse than most (see Eddie, Cousin). He was an excellent college coach and rose up the ranks so fast, that he got to places where he was really not on a level playing field. Sure # of schollies is the same, but that is it. In the NFL it is 100% equal. The rules are made so that each team goes .500. The difference is coaching, management, injuries, etc. Perhaps at BG Leyer did not have the majority of the best players, but everywhere else he did. In the NFL, everyone has pros. He never showed me in college that his methods or his demeanor would allow him to out manuever an equal opponent on a regular basis. Roster management is a must and you can't just try and get the best player at every position. You don;t have a single guy who wants to play for you or your team, they just want to get paid b/c they have reached the pinnacle, not trying to get there. Again I am not judging after 4 games, but Leyer does not seem to be long for the NFL IMO.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
This is from that story:

All that said, NFL head coaches have done much, much worse than Meyer over the years (go read up on Jay Gruden, kiddos) with nary a peep from the media, let alone their own team. But Urban Meyer is Urban Meyer and karma is nothing if not a you-know-what. Football sees this as his long-overdue comeuppance and has piled on accordingly and it’s hard to say he didn’t have it coming … well, unless you’re a Trojans fan.

"Football sees this as [Meyer's] long-overdue comeuppance"? "Karma"?

Karma for what, exactly? Winning??

Karma for having an inflated ego and behaving pompously? If that's the case there are a whole lot of football HC's who are long overdue for a "comeuppance."

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that winning has a tendency to cure some ills. Jags have lost 19 games in a row I think. That is hideous.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There is so much gold to be mined from this oft-renamed thread.
If you'd like me to dig up some of your idiocy, it's going to take me a few weeks to mine through it all. NO ONE was a bigger Chimp and Butters fan than you. You were literally the LAST member to let go of those idiots, and I'm pretty sure you'd take either one of them back even now. You practically wrote poems to those guys in your posts back in the day.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
If you'd like me to dig up some of your idiocy, it's going to take me a few weeks to mine through it all. NO ONE was a bigger Chimp and Butters fan than you. You were literally the LAST member to let go of those idiots, and I'm pretty sure you'd take either one of them back even now. You practically wrote poems to those guys in your posts back in the day.

Now you're just making things up.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
So after viewing the "Urban Spectacle", I seem conflicted about the situation. First, i don't consider myself a fan of Urban Meyer. His collage coaching career with his MNC's certainly qualify as one of the all-time greats.
But he is a pompous ass, concerned mainly about himself.
The embarrassing situation in which he found himself placed him in a no-win situation. What to do when some comely young thing, presumably uninvited and obviously very impressed with herself, saunters up to the guy perched atop a bar stool, nestles in between his legs and precedes to give him a crotch dance.
So what to do? Does he try to somehow maneuver his way off the bar stool? Does he push her away? Not likely. That would draw even more attention to his situation. Did the manager of the joint, trying to gain points with Meyer, urge the sweet young thing to go over to the boss and give the guy a thrill?
Who knows? What I can say is I would bet that there a few of us who would say that if that was the worst mis-step in our marital lives, we would sleep tonight with a clear conscience.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So after viewing the "Urban Spectacle", I seem conflicted about the situation. First, i don't consider myself a fan of Urban Meyer. His collage coaching career with his MNC's certainly qualify as one of the all-time greats.
But he is a pompous ass, concerned mainly about himself.
The embarrassing situation in which he found himself placed him in a no-win situation. What to do when some comely young thing, presumably uninvited and obviously very impressed with herself, saunters up to the guy perched atop a bar stool, nestles in between his legs and precedes to give him a crotch dance.
So what to do? Does he try to somehow maneuver his way off the bar stool? Does he push her away? Not likely. That would draw even more attention to his situation. Did the manager of the joint, trying to gain points with Meyer, urge the sweet young thing to go over to the boss and give the guy a thrill?
Who knows? What I can say is I would bet that there a few of us who would say that if that was the worst mis-step in our marital lives, we would sleep tonight with a clear conscience.

The question you have as an NFL gm, is why didn't an 0-4 coach fly back with his team. If this was a bye week or in the offseason this isn't a big issue, but this was an in week departure. What is the message it says to the rest of the building and to his players who aren't allowed to go out and enjoy the city? Why stay in a hotel if the head coach is going out? Why fly back with the team if the head coach doesn't?

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Holding, Offense. Grabbing the co-ed past the line of scrimmage. 5 year penalty. Loss of job on the play. Repeat 1st down.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
This one is my favorite :lol:
shocker!:bwahaha:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Assuming Pervin' doesn't end the season with the Jags, who takes over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member