There is absolutely zero upcoming season buzz

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Buzz Smuzz. We're back to sleeping giant status. I'm used to it. There were two kinds of buzz. Could we beat someone we shouldn't. That was almost a third of our games. Could we keep trashing the clowns. And of course mega hate for the dogs. Other than that MEH.

1960 9–2
1961 4–5–1
1962 7–4
1963 6–3–1
1964 7–3
1965 7–4
1966 9–2
1967 6–4
1968 6–3–1
1969 9–1–1

Adjust for ties and additional games played.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I agree no championships are in sight. But perhaps he can actually get us to a respectable place so the next coach can get us over the hump.

Mullen is forced to completely rebuild this program after the worst coach in history.

Exactly. We are literally just starting the long slog back from the deepest pits of FB hell. Anyone who has had the stomach to go back and watch the totally demoralized, poorly conditioned, generally dysfunctional wreck that lurched to the end of last season would be crazy to have "un-tempered expectations" for the upcoming season. It simply isn't reasonable to expect a full recovery in the first year of a gigantic rebuild - it ain't gonna happen. Especially if Franks is starting at QB. Sorry, but if he makes a 100% improvement, he will still be sub-par. IMHO, he is not, and never will be the answer.

But I do expect significant improvement in all phases of the game. If someone steps up at QB (EJ?!!), we could have a turnaround that will impress everyone except those who simply refuse to take yes for an answer. I also think that this season is extremely important for the near future of the program. If the product on the field continues to stink, we can forget a decent to very good class, (which is already problematic at this point), and the die will be cast for another short-lived coaching tenure. My hope is that DM will prove equal to the task. My expectations are held in check by the monumental suckage we have witnessed over the last eight years. I badly want great things to happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when you were tellingnus people from Colorado said Butters was a great HC.

Those were good times.

All of us were saying that. It was our way of trying to cope. Even YOU did. I remember one thread in which you were ripping somebody who said that this was going to be the worst hire we’ve ever had – and you said the person knew nothing about football and that we were finally going to have a competent offense.

I’m willing to give everybody a pass on thinking that Mac would be able to bring back offense. We were absolutely in shock over our precipitous fall under Chump.

Virtually nobody could believe that he was hired. We were so dumbfounded that it had to be a joke, right? Or he HAD to be the next great coach at Florida, right? And when he brought back a little bravado, we ate it up hoping he was the second coming of Spurrier (Although nothing on film or his history remotely suggested that).

I think most reasonable people knew after a couple games into season two that there was no way we were going to get better. And then after that disastrous second recruiting class and the keeping of Nuss and Nord absolutely sealed the deal for me.

Before DM got hired, I was absolutely against the prospect of him being hired (I still am). Is he going to be a better coach than the last two buffoons? I think so. And considerably so. But his recruiting so far this year has been absolutely abysmal.

He is going to have to be a stellar game day coach and I think his history says that he needs an NFL type QB with the ability to run to have a functional offense. He’s not that and we don’t have that.

That being said, I think we will routinely win 10 games a year and have average recruiting for the next five years. I think he can rebuild the brand somewhat. Somewhat like Richt did with Georgia. I just hope it’s not 10 years and closer to five years.

In that span we will have one or two years where we compete just outside of the MNC. And the rest will be 8-5 seasons. Which should get him the axe.

Problem with all of this is that Stricklin is too close to Mullen and I don’t know if he would ever fire him as long as we have winning seasons. :suicide:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All of us were saying that. It was our way of trying to cope. Even YOU did. I remember one thread in which you were ripping somebody who said that this was going to be the worst hire we’ve ever had – and you said the person knew nothing about football and that we were finally going to have a competent offense.

I’m willing to give everybody a pass on thinking that Mac would be able to bring back offense. We were absolutely in shock over our precipitous fall under Chump.

Virtually nobody could believe that he was hired. We were so dumbfounded that it had to be a joke, right? Or he HAD to be the next great coach at Florida, right? And when he brought back a little bravado, we ate it up hoping he was the second coming of Spurrier (Although nothing on film or his history remotely suggested that).

I think most reasonable people knew after a couple games into season two that there was no way we were going to get better. And then after that disastrous second recruiting class and the keeping of Nuss and Nord absolutely sealed the deal for me.

Before DM got hired, I was absolutely against the prospect of him being hired (I still am). Is he going to be a better coach than the last two buffoons? I think so. And considerably so. But his recruiting so far this year has been absolutely abysmal.

He is going to have to be a stellar game day coach and I think his history says that he needs an NFL type QB with the ability to run to have a functional offense. He’s not that and we don’t have that.

That being said, I think we will routinely win 10 games a year and have average recruiting for the next five years. I think he can rebuild the brand somewhat. Somewhat like Richt did with Georgia. I just hope it’s not 10 years and closer to five years.

In that span we will have one or two years where we compete just outside of the MNC. And the rest will be 8-5 seasons. Which should get him the axe.

Problem with all of this is that Stricklin is too close to Mullen and I don’t know if he would ever fire him as long as we have winning seasons. :suicide:
Bingo. The AD is a career baseball guy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin may get fired in year three also. He has no support base here.

Much like Butters walking into the ADs office last year and demanding that his boy Nussdrunk remain for a year, you can have your guy but you live and die with him. That is the way this whole Cousin Eddie think plays out, imo. He can hire a guy most of the alums HATE, but he lives and dies with him.

This isn't a case of half the fanbase being deluded into thinking the AD is competent despite his obvious record to the contrary.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There are no "future facts"

Wonderful statement of fact, Sir Durf.
This Gator team is bright new - the McStain has been "bleach-bitted" out.
When I visualize players in orange & blue, I cannot picture clumsy football. Mullen's presence doesn't keep me down. All the players "not here" don't keep me down. About the only anchor that tamps down my "helium feeliums" is the huge doses assuring failure that inoculates me here on GC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre hallucinating. Been listening to Cretes drug fueled fantasies.

The closest you will find is pds and some others getting me to concede this may work out after the Ole Piss game, that one game Grier played well.

It was YOU guys trying to tell us that Nussdrunk wasnt a problem bc Butters was the real OC. Butters the guy who lost 9-6 to Grasseater when Butters had the greatest amount of talent ever assembled.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think I was in the camp that maybe Butters could overcome Nuss being the OC if he was hands on enough but I failed to realize Butters was hardly even running Colorado State's offense and would think we could be Bama 2 and that would work here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think I was in the camp that maybe Butters could overcome Nuss being the OC if he was hands on enough but I failed to realize Butters was hardly even running Colorado State's offense and would think we could be Bama 2 and that would work here.
There's no harm in trying to believe. We're Fanatics, it's what we do.

As much as I bttch I still respect that greatly.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's no harm in trying to believe. We're Fanatics, it's what we do.

As much as I bttch I still respect that greatly.

Same here but after the last 2 disasters I am not giving Mullen any slack on this crappy recruiting. With where we are talent wise now and the QB situation there is zero chance Mullen is going to make it if he doesnt get some upgrades to our recruiting for the 2020 class. 2019 is already destined to be a mediocre class.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree no championships are in sight. But perhaps he can actually get us to a respectable place so the next coach can get us over the hump.

Mullen is forced to completely rebuild this program after the worst coach in history.
Agreed except....but for the price tag we are paying?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

This is the point i was trying to make in the recruiting thread. We're not going to win a championship with Mullen but he might can get us back to respectability. We need to adjust our expectations.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This is the point i was trying to make in the recruiting thread. We're not going to win a championship with Mullen but he might can get us back to respectability. We need to adjust our expectations.

I agree but firedanmullen.com is likely in the works before he ever coaches a game here.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Youre hallucinating. Been listening to Cretes drug fueled fantasies.

The closest you will find is pds and some others getting me to concede this may work out after the Ole Piss game, that one game Grier played well.

It was YOU guys trying to tell us that Nussdrunk wasnt a problem bc Butters was the real OC. Butters the guy who lost 9-6 to Grasseater when Butters had the greatest amount of talent ever assembled.

You definitely call them out faster than just about any of us. I held out hope that it was just the OC. But failure to fire Nuss in the next to last year destroyed any hope I had for him.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I’m stoked tbqh but I guess I’m alone in that

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.