They Shall Not Grow Old

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw this preview at the movies tonight. Looks AMAZING!

Anyone else seen it?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw this preview at the movies tonight. Looks AMAZING!

Anyone else seen it?

I saw it a couple of weeks back and like you all I thought it would be great to see. Being somewhat of a military history buff, I wanted to see how the old footage was doctored up, so I did a little looking and found that to get the sound, the producer hired "forensic" lip readers to decipher what was being said in each sequence and then had actors sync the parts. Pretty amazing indeed. I don't go to a lot of movies anymore, but this will be one I'll go to see.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if this is allowed.

With a few exceptions, the veterans who provide commentary, many of them teenagers when they enlisted, some as young as 15, recall their part in the war in matter of fact, sometimes even jaunty and self-congratulatory tones: “I wouldn’t have missed it.” “I had no regrets at all. No regrets and no horrors.” “I felt very proud about it.”

We are soft.

In the early 20th century, British children often left school at age 12 and were working full-time by 13. As many as 250,000 “boy soldiers”under the age of 18 joined the “doomed procession” as part of the British Army during the war, many motivated by lack of work at home, patriotic urges, and the age-old quest for adventure.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks NV for letting us know about this. I will try to see it.

For the Fallen
Robert Laurence Binyon, by artist William Strang.
Laurence-Binyon-portrait-by-William-Strang-250.jpg

Poem by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943), published in The Times newspaper on 21 September 1914.

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Last edited:

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018

Never miss the opportunity to play a Bill Murray tune....Not the ass hole Bill Murray the Bill Murray of the early 20th century.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
While I'm on a Bill Murray kick lets play another one, love these songs.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018

Now I'm on a Bill Murray kick.....wish I could find "The makin's of the USA".

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I'm in hog heaven now, excuse me for hijacking this thread but I used to listen to these old WW1 songs on an old wind up Victrola my grandmother had when I was a kid.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched it tonight. It was well done. It was from the British soldier's perspective. Showed perspectives/stories from the start to the finish. Could not imagine having to live in the trench during winter in the water up to your waist with rotting flesh everywhere. Tough mfers.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
OK, I went to see this Saturday afternoon while it was still in theaters...

I had a choice to see it "regular" or in 3D, and best showtime for me was 3D. I'm not really a fan of 3D movies because I hate the cheap glasses, but, I CANNOT IMAGINE SEEING THIS MOVIE IN 2D!!!! The 3D added CRAZY depth to the movie that made it even more disturbingly realistic. Here are some notes:
  1. It's not thrilling, but that wasn't the point. What Jackson did was take footage and weave a story from pre-war that kind of follows a story through the wars end and just after the war.
  2. It starts out with the stock old footage in black and white, then transitions into the color and all the CGI stuff they did, and it is CREEPILY realistic.
  3. It was so weird to see that I actually lifted my 3D glasses at 3 or 4 points during the movie because my mind thought if I lifted my glasses, my eyes would see the black and white original footage and I could go back and forth between original and remastered/colorized... how weird is that?
  4. While they talk about it a lot, film can just never, ever capture how dirty and filthy life in trenches was... nor the smell of rotting flesh.
  5. If you stay through the credits, there is a 30 minute presentation in the film of how they did the technical work.
It's not thrilling, just really interesting and one of those movies that even a 70" TV screen will not do justice.

Again, so real that I kept lifting my glasses thinking I'd see the black and white original footage so I could go back and forth and compare... would be kinda interesting to see them both on spit screen. Again, REALLY glad I saw this in 3D and that was not my original preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.