Think about the OL for second....

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Urban left the cupboard bare.

Muschump had great “D” recruits but the “O”, especially line…not so much

Butters MacShark…Well…Started with walk-ons and 3 stars, fed them PBJs, and did not make them lift or work out.

This is just Season 2 under Mullen…I find our progress at OL amazing. The U’s DL is good and I did not notice the OL sucking air after a LONG, HOT, Orlando night.

REMEMBER opening against Michigan in an Indoor TX Stadium?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought they did decent in pass blocking, but really couldn't get any kind of push for the run game at all. Maybe it'll come with time as they get used to the speed of the game...

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I thought they did decent in pass blocking, but really couldn't get any kind of push for the run game at all. Maybe it'll come with time as they get used to the speed of the game...
They did well. UM backers are outstanding and had great lateral pursuit.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
2011 OL:

Urbs left enough to start an NFL player at every position on the line: Harrison, Halapio, Silberman, Nixon and Green.

But how many did he recruit his last few years? And then Chump?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Of all the position groups CDM inherited, the O-line was the weakest and coincidentally the one it takes the longest to fix. IMO, Hevesy has overachieved.
2011 OL:
Urbs left enough to start an NFL player at every position on the line: Harrison, Halapio, Silberman, Nixon and Green.
But no young depth to speak of, which was compounded by Chimps recruiting failures at the position.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Of all the position groups CDM inherited, the O-line was the weakest and coincidentally the one it takes the longest to fix. IMO, Hevesy has overachieved.

But no young depth to speak of, which was compounded by Chimps recruiting failures at the position.

EXACTLY

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I believe there is enough for developing into effectiveness and I want that done & finished by next game, Gotta thump UK stupid in 3 weeks.
The way we survived this zero-week, plus 2-weeks' more meaningful practices (thanks to real-deal UM) IMO we have been given the perfect chance to do a good season.

How well Miami stood up to us made me angry about how our recruiting is going ... isn't going.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

Urban not leaving optimal depth is true but that could have been fixed by Muschamp quickly. 4 of those eventual NFL lineman were freshman and sophomores (w/redshirt). I just don’t see that much talent (especially compared to recent rosters) as leaving the cupboard bare.

Btw, where did the word “cupboard” come from? The other word for a cup board would be a shelf, not an entire closet of food. It makes little sense and we all pronounce it with some old English accent effect as “cubbord”. Just odd.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Btw, where did the word “cupboard” come from? The other word for a cup board would be a shelf, not an entire closet of food. It makes little sense and we all pronounce it with some old English accent effect as “cubbord”. Just odd.
This is GCMB! How dare you go off topic! But since you did, I’ve always thought it odd too, but was too lazy to do any research.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The OL wasn't the problem on Saturday night. Sure, they could have played better...but overall they didn't cause the 4 turnovers or call the plays.

Urban not leaving optimal depth is true but that could have been fixed by Muschamp quickly. 4 of those eventual NFL lineman were freshman and sophomores (w/redshirt). I just don’t see that much talent (especially compared to recent rosters) as leaving the cupboard bare.

Agree, the point about what Urban left has nothing to do w/ this team or what Mullen inherited. The OL depth Muschamp left (and recruited while at UF) was the problem....and then Butters couldn't recruit to save his life. Not sure why Urban was brought into the original post.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The OL wasn't the problem on Saturday night. Sure, they could have played better...but overall they didn't cause the 4 turnovers or call the plays.

Agree, the point about what Urban left has nothing to do w/ this team or what Mullen inherited. The OL depth Muschamp left (and recruited while at UF) was the problem....and then Butters couldn't recruit to save his life. Not sure why Urban was brought into the original post.
Really we didn’t need to even bring in Chimp. Butters was HC fo three years. Plenty of time to bring in some decent OLs. Basically he brought in 3 or 4 (to be generous) guys. Didn’t coach them up a crud, but did bring them in. Can’t remember where, but I recall Ivey commenting last year that he wished he could play for Hevesy another year. I have no idea if that would have been enough to make him a pro, but it sounded like he thought so.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

I have to say the Oline did a fair job against a very good front 7. However, after actually looking at the play instead of throwing my hat and kicking the chair, the last turnover was on them. Franks had no chance to put the ball where he wanted. And the play call was so Spurrieresqe, go for the throat and leave them dead on the floor. CDM should be congratulated instead being criticized.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
And the play call was so Spurrieresqe, go for the throat and leave them dead on the floor. CDM should be congratulated instead being criticized.
This is very true and not one of us would’ve bytched if Spurrier had done it. Of course, the Spurrier led Gators would probably have scored on the play.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have to say the Oline did a fair job against a very good front 7. However, after actually looking at the play instead of throwing my hat and kicking the chair, the last turnover was on them. Franks had no chance to put the ball where he wanted. And the play call was so Spurrieresqe, go for the throat and leave them dead on the floor. CDM should be congratulated instead being criticized.

CDM can and should be criticized for that play call. I can't say the last play was on them. The last play should have never been called! It should have been a run up the middle, all three downs....then punt, giving Miami the ball at their 20 w/ less than 2 minutes to play. Next time somebody wants to argue about how great of a play caller Mullen is (and make fun of Kirby's fake punt) let's recall that play call. It was a disaster and we were lucky it was a freshman QB behind an atrocious OL or that would have been an L. Sure, the OL could have blocked better on the play but Franks threw it and Mullen called it (the play).

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
CDM can and should be criticized for that play call. I can't say the last play was on them. The last play should have never been called! It should have been a run up the middle, all three downs....then punt, giving Miami the ball at their 20 w/ less than 2 minutes to play. Next time somebody wants to argue about how great of a play caller Mullen is (and make fun of Kirby's fake punt) let's recall that play call. It was a disaster and we were lucky it was a freshman QB behind an atrocious OL or that would have been an L. Sure, the OL could have blocked better on the play but Franks threw it and Mullen called it (the play).
I don’t think that it’s fair to compare the call by CDM with Kirby’s fake punt call. I don’t think Kirby made a bad call; but I think he should have called it off when he saw Bama clearly was ready for it.
There was a time when Gator football meant taking a shot if you thought it was there, situation be damned. Seven years or so of ineptitude has made us (me included) a bit gun shy. Sad really.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
He looks like a genius with a couple passes that got us first downs and in field goal range at least...no one knows what happens if we run it up the middle and punt

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm thinking the play calling did not help the offensive line but they did get to taste big boy college defense in some their very first starts. Give them a couple weeks to practice and a cream puff to push around while they get to work as a unit and we'll find out who we have against UK.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Poor UF coaches. If they play conservatively, why they don't want to win; if they take risks that succeed, why ho-hum; if they don't succeed, why they're idiots.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Poor UF coaches. If they play conservatively, why they don't want to win; if they take risks that succeed, why ho-hum; if they don't succeed, why they're idiots.

You're right. It was a GREAT call. Mullen is the best play caller in college football....

Seriously, I hope you don't believe what you wrote and I hope you understand it's okay to be critical of a TERRIBLE play call. Otherwise you have no business posting on a college football forum and you should just stick to making sammiches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb