This is what's wrong with our offense

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Alagator, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Alagator

Alagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,020
    Ratings:
    +3,719 / -48
    This may be over stating the obvious but it doesn't ever seem to be part of the discussion here. Muschamp was determined to change the way we played ball. So he recruited a specific type of player to fit the needs of his vision for the football team. Perhaps this is one of many possible explanations as to why Roper is struggling so much this year with our offense. We've been getting some pretty good players but we've got the wrong kind of players. In Muschamp's 1st year we were all perturbed that we were running a power offense with athletes recruited to play in the spread. We spent 2 or 3 years recruiting athletes for the power game...and now those athletes are being asked to perform in the spread offense. And offense that most of our current players were not recruited to play in. So here we are again...square peg-round hole.

2. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $64,129
    Ratings:
    +96,551 / -6,656
    [​IMG]

• Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,557
      Ratings:
      +14,117 / -67
      Leadership

• VulcanAlex

VulcanAlex Senior Vulcan Cowboy

Oxbucks:
      $4
      Ratings:
      +323 / -1
      While I think there is some truth to this but I always think that football is a number of common tasks that are really the same no matter what scheme you might employ. Blocking, Tackling, Route Running, Catching the ball, adjustments on the fly on both sides of the ball. I don't buy that the entire team is incompetent to run whatever offense I might want with sufficient education and practice. Now some players might do better in some situations but great players can do whatever.

• Coach9

Coach9 Sunshine Spreader

Oxbucks:
        $0
        Ratings:
        +279 / -3
        Very few offensive playmakers from Champ's first couple of classes. All the playmakers are young and need to be released. They'll make some mistakes but they'll make some plays. Looks like Powell is one of the few to be able to get the coach's trust quickly by being an intelligent player. Hope Worton gets released today. The little bit I've seen of him he looks to be a kid that knows how to play the game.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $64,129
        Ratings:
        +96,551 / -6,656
        Agreed. Can the known non-producers or minimal producers and give the reps to the young ones that show promise. Take our lumps with freshman-type mistakes. I know this is diametrically opposed to Chimp's ultra conservative defense first (or only) mindset. However if he were rolling the dice trying to find some improvements people might have a little more patience with this cesspool.

There is no reason that opposing DCs, even from schools with terrible defenses, should have zero concerns about the QB, TEs, WRs, and RBs that UF puts on the field.

• TN G8tr

TN G8tr The "Original" TN G8tr
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,111
          Ratings:
          +3,692 / -20
          I agree with alot of what you see in our offense. But I have been saying that Driskel is limiting what Roper can do offensively. If we see TH I think we'll see a whole different offense.

• Coach9

Coach9 Sunshine Spreader

Oxbucks:
          $0
          Ratings:
          +279 / -3
          At some point you need to look at him as the common denominator on offense over these years. He hasn't always had the best playmakers around him but even more the reason you need plays out of the position. And if you aren't making plays you had better take care of the ball. When you do neither, we have a pretty good idea what that looks like.

• TN G8tr

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,111
          Ratings:
          +3,692 / -20
          Exactly Coach! I put this in a thread a while back. But JD is the common denominator in all of the offenses and with the OC's. Now WM has not helped that situation at times with his philosophy. That is why I think we'll see dramatic differences if TH plays.

• TallyGator

TallyGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $1
          Ratings:
          +162 / -0
          I think we would see more of the offense that Roper wants to run...not all of it...but more of it. Can't hurt, because most of what we are doing now sucks.

• gatormandan

gatormandan Donk Killa
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $6,495
          Ratings:
          +12,744 / -437
          I think the freshman mistakes will be less than the experienced ones mistakes.

• TN G8tr

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,111
            Ratings:
            +3,692 / -20
            True, if we're going to have mistakes lets have the better QB of the two in there.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $64,129
            Ratings:
            +96,551 / -6,656
            I have never understood why we keep playing a QB with zero upside. If he can't pass and all he can be trusted to do is handoff, why is he even on the field?

• gatormandan

gatormandan Donk Killa
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $6,495
            Ratings:
            +12,744 / -437
            The glaring question..

• Alagator

Alagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,020
            Ratings:
            +3,719 / -48
            Well, perhaps he has that intangible....errrrrrrr.....never mind... I can't even finish that sentence. :facepalm:

• Bullag8r

Bullag8r Senior Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,036
            Ratings:
            +1,446 / -68
            It appears that Coach Muschamp's judgement may be flawed. :surrender:

• Mudd

Mudd Lurker

Oxbucks:
              $0
              Ratings:
              +73 / -0
              The word Driskel is not in this thread enough for it to be on the 2nd page already.

• GatorInGeorgia

GatorInGeorgia Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $3,798
              Ratings:
              +4,852 / -375
              I told everybody this very same thing last season on GSMB when he hired Roper and announced the change to the offensive philosophy. People scoffed when I mentioned the stupidity of it, I think Law even had some smart azz retort to my changing horses mid stream analogy and said it couldn't get worse than last season. This is no great revelation that you've made. Bottom line, Muschamp has royally ****ed this program. Brace yourselves for the lost decade (or close to it) that I also warned you about.

• Jenny On The Railroad

Jenny On The Railroad Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                $38
                Ratings:
                +551 / -5
                I was familiar with Muschmap's philosphy on winning games, but did not realize until I heard him last night, how extreme it has become. With his view, no OC could produce a viable offense- and this comes from someone who only has the most basic football knowledge. I don't know if what I heard was interview with radio staff or part of post game presser, but-

He said something along the lines of now fans finally understand that we have no ability to throw under center. Running the ball is the way to go and needs to be run more.
                What I am not communicating well in this because the exact words he said escape me, was a belief on his part ( it seems) that it is impossible for any QBs to pass, useless to attempt it or teach them, , risky and nonproductive, and if he had his way 100% there would be no feigning of effort to include passing as a strategy. It seems he has closed his mind to the use of a pass. He thinks the rest of world finally understands his point of view. and now shares it. That's what he took out of this debacle. He communicates an extreme lack of understanding for the purpose of even having an offense, a lack of valuing it and respecting it as a viable part of a football team. That can't motivate offensive players I think if he could field a team without an offense on he field, he would. Oh, wait- he pretty much has..

• ufgator812

ufgator812 Duke of Marlborough
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,484
                Ratings:
                +6,295 / -151
                Yes. WM said that about passing. He said we can't do it. BS He is a dead man walking.