This is what's wrong with our offense

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This may be over stating the obvious but it doesn't ever seem to be part of the discussion here. Muschamp was determined to change the way we played ball. So he recruited a specific type of player to fit the needs of his vision for the football team. Perhaps this is one of many possible explanations as to why Roper is struggling so much this year with our offense. We've been getting some pretty good players but we've got the wrong kind of players. In Muschamp's 1st year we were all perturbed that we were running a power offense with athletes recruited to play in the spread. We spent 2 or 3 years recruiting athletes for the power game...and now those athletes are being asked to perform in the spread offense. And offense that most of our current players were not recruited to play in. So here we are again...square peg-round hole.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
xSGBtIX.jpg

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
While I think there is some truth to this but I always think that football is a number of common tasks that are really the same no matter what scheme you might employ. Blocking, Tackling, Route Running, Catching the ball, adjustments on the fly on both sides of the ball. I don't buy that the entire team is incompetent to run whatever offense I might want with sufficient education and practice. Now some players might do better in some situations but great players can do whatever.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Very few offensive playmakers from Champ's first couple of classes. All the playmakers are young and need to be released. They'll make some mistakes but they'll make some plays. Looks like Powell is one of the few to be able to get the coach's trust quickly by being an intelligent player. Hope Worton gets released today. The little bit I've seen of him he looks to be a kid that knows how to play the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n82716 said:
Very few offensive playmakers from Champ's first couple of classes. All the playmakers are young and need to be released. They'll make some mistakes but they'll make some plays. Looks like Powell is one of the few to be able to get the coach's trust quickly by being an intelligent player. Hope Worton gets released today. The little bit I've seen of him he looks to be a kid that knows how to play the game.
Agreed. Can the known non-producers or minimal producers and give the reps to the young ones that show promise. Take our lumps with freshman-type mistakes. I know this is diametrically opposed to Chimp's ultra conservative defense first (or only) mindset. However if he were rolling the dice trying to find some improvements people might have a little more patience with this cesspool.

There is no reason that opposing DCs, even from schools with terrible defenses, should have zero concerns about the QB, TEs, WRs, and RBs that UF puts on the field.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with alot of what you see in our offense. But I have been saying that Driskel is limiting what Roper can do offensively. If we see TH I think we'll see a whole different offense.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
At some point you need to look at him as the common denominator on offense over these years. He hasn't always had the best playmakers around him but even more the reason you need plays out of the position. And if you aren't making plays you had better take care of the ball. When you do neither, we have a pretty good idea what that looks like.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n82721 said:
At some point you need to look at him as the common denominator on offense over these years. He hasn't always had the best playmakers around him but even more the reason you need plays out of the position. And if you aren't making plays you had better take care of the ball. When you do neither, we have a pretty good idea what that looks like.

Exactly Coach! I put this in a thread a while back. But JD is the common denominator in all of the offenses and with the OC's. Now WM has not helped that situation at times with his philosophy. That is why I think we'll see dramatic differences if TH plays.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n82719 said:
I agree with alot of what you see in our offense. But I have been saying that Driskel is limiting what Roper can do offensively. If we see TH I think we'll see a whole different offense.

I think we would see more of the offense that Roper wants to run...not all of it...but more of it. Can't hurt, because most of what we are doing now sucks.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82769 said:
I think the freshman mistakes will be less than the experienced ones mistakes.

True, if we're going to have mistakes lets have the better QB of the two in there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n82769 said:
I think the freshman mistakes will be less than the experienced ones mistakes.

I have never understood why we keep playing a QB with zero upside. If he can't pass and all he can be trusted to do is handoff, why is he even on the field?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n82779 said:
I have never understood why we keep playing a QB with zero upside. If he can't pass and all he can be trusted to do is handoff, why is he even on the field?

The glaring question..

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n82779 said:

Well, perhaps he has that intangible....errrrrrrr.....never mind... I can't even finish that sentence. :facepalm:

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
The word Driskel is not in this thread enough for it to be on the 2nd page already.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Alagator;n82686 said:
This may be over stating the obvious but it doesn't ever seem to be part of the discussion here. Muschamp was determined to change the way we played ball. So he recruited a specific type of player to fit the needs of his vision for the football team. Perhaps this is one of many possible explanations as to why Roper is struggling so much this year with our offense. We've been getting some pretty good players but we've got the wrong kind of players. In Muschamp's 1st year we were all perturbed that we were running a power offense with athletes recruited to play in the spread. We spent 2 or 3 years recruiting athletes for the power game...and now those athletes are being asked to perform in the spread offense. And offense that most of our current players were not recruited to play in. So here we are again...square peg-round hole.

I told everybody this very same thing last season on GSMB when he hired Roper and announced the change to the offensive philosophy. People scoffed when I mentioned the stupidity of it, I think Law even had some smart azz retort to my changing horses mid stream analogy and said it couldn't get worse than last season. This is no great revelation that you've made. Bottom line, Muschamp has royally ****ed this program. Brace yourselves for the lost decade (or close to it) that I also warned you about.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I was familiar with Muschmap's philosphy on winning games, but did not realize until I heard him last night, how extreme it has become. With his view, no OC could produce a viable offense- and this comes from someone who only has the most basic football knowledge. I don't know if what I heard was interview with radio staff or part of post game presser, but-

He said something along the lines of now fans finally understand that we have no ability to throw under center. Running the ball is the way to go and needs to be run more.
What I am not communicating well in this because the exact words he said escape me, was a belief on his part ( it seems) that it is impossible for any QBs to pass, useless to attempt it or teach them, , risky and nonproductive, and if he had his way 100% there would be no feigning of effort to include passing as a strategy. It seems he has closed his mind to the use of a pass. He thinks the rest of world finally understands his point of view. and now shares it. That's what he took out of this debacle. He communicates an extreme lack of understanding for the purpose of even having an offense, a lack of valuing it and respecting it as a viable part of a football team. That can't motivate offensive players I think if he could field a team without an offense on he field, he would. Oh, wait- he pretty much has..

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n84006 said:
I was familiar with Muschmap's philosphy on winning games, but did not realize until I heard him last night, how extreme it has become. With his view, no OC could produce a viable offense- and this comes from someone who only has the most basic football knowledge. I don't know if what I heard was interview with radio staff or part of post game presser, but-

He said something along the lines of now fans finally understand that we have no ability to throw under center. Running the ball is the way to go and needs to be run more.
What I am not communicating well in this because the exact words he said escape me, was a belief on his part ( it seems) that it is impossible for any QBs to pass, useless to attempt it or teach them, , risky and nonproductive, and if he had his way 100% there would be no feigning of effort to include passing as a strategy. It seems he has closed his mind to the use of a pass. He thinks the rest of world finally understands his point of view. and now shares it. That's what he took out of this debacle. He communicates an extreme lack of understanding for the purpose of even having an offense, a lack of valuing it and respecting it as a viable part of a football team. That can't motivate offensive players I think if he could field a team without an offense on he field, he would. Oh, wait- he pretty much has..

Yes. WM said that about passing. He said we can't do it. BS He is a dead man walking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator